Not two, not one, modified 5 Years ago at 5/10/18 3:30 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 5/8/18 5:42 AM

RE: Sudden total blackness

metta

emoticon
Pyro Arkar, modified 5 Years ago at 5/8/18 7:58 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 5/8/18 7:58 AM

Can you describe which technique you are doing before that event?

How long you have been practicing?

Describe what scanning you are doing , how you reconizing before that happened.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 5 Years ago at 5/8/18 9:45 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 5/8/18 9:45 AM

Nirodha Samapatti, whose description you quote, is an extremely high attainment that is very, very rare and requires a remarkable setup and set of conditions to have it arise. I know of only a few people who I believe have done this.

What you describe is likely the plunge and pull down into darkness, stillness, not breathing, etc. that happens on the back end of the A&P as it begins to get towards its Dissolution aspects, what I would label 4.5 in ñana.subñana terminology. It is commonly described and a sign of progress in insight.
thumbnail
Not two, not one, modified 5 Years ago at 5/8/18 3:05 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 5/8/18 3:05 PM

Ashin, I was in a half conscious state, falling asleep, but I guess subconsciously continuing the rapid generalised noting of energetic perceptions. 

I have been practicing formal meditation for two and half years. This initially involved absorption followed by insight into the mind, then unifying the mind through attention to the breath, and now mindful observation of fluxing energetic perceptions,

I have also been training the body for 30 years, including breathing exercises at the sacral chakra, cultivating physical fluidity, close concentration on body dynamics, and vacating thought in favour of broad awareness. In the last 10 years I added basic yoga and basic nasal pranayama. I have also trained my mind for 25 years in concentration, analytic and intutive thinking.  However, none of that physical or mental training came with any insight. Instead, prior to formal meditation I would cycle through negative mental states, and experience angst and frustration. After meditation, insight occured, and that suffering has almost completely disappeared.

On scanning - I have done a little of Culudasa's body scanning. Noting of energetic perceptions in the body also seems to be a kind of scanning. Not sure what your last question means, but I think you are asking how first noticed the state presenting?  The first thing was that perception suddenly cut off completely - like the sense doors slammed shut.  As a metaphor - the birds stopped in mid-song.
thumbnail
Not two, not one, modified 5 Years ago at 5/10/18 3:29 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 5/8/18 4:25 PM

metta 

emoticon
Pyro Arkar, modified 5 Years ago at 5/9/18 7:28 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 5/9/18 7:28 AM

Ashin, I was in a half conscious state, falling asleep, but I guess subconsciously continuing the rapid generalised noting of energetic perceptions.

and now mindful observation of fluxing energetic perceptions,

I do not understand this way.I had practiced "Samahta yarnika Vipassana" , now popular way in Myanmar , and it have surprising results.

Scanning are like this :
Send mind between two nose holes Breath in , Breath out , Notice 3 times between lips and nostrils.
if there event recon , if there no events repeat for (5-10 times)
Breath in , Breath out , Notice 2 times between sternum.
if there event recon , if there no events repeat for a few times (5-10 times)
Send mind , to the butt, Notice Sitting , notice it touching to the floor , notice knowing there.
if there event recon , if there no events repeat for (5-10 times)
Send mind , to edge of the feet, Notice it Touching floor , notice knowing.
Pyro Arkar, modified 5 Years ago at 5/9/18 7:33 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 5/9/18 7:33 AM

As long as you still see the blackness , it is not part of ceasing.
During the start of First Samahta Jhana , people experience such kind of blackness , entering into black hole like thing.
So it seems to be in 1st Jhana .