Practice experiences

thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 15 Years ago at 11/21/08 6:45 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 11/21/08 6:45 AM

Practice experiences

Author: lm913
Forum: Dharma Overground Discussion Forum

I have no formal meditation instruction and everything I know I gleaned from Ajahn Chah, Sharon Salzberg, and lately been looking into Daniel Ingram's book. This is what I have experienced as of late and I'm just confused by it. There have been times when I sit down to practice that I fell unaware about where I am physically and, as far as I know, I forget that I'm breathing. Another time I had this wave of profound terror wash over me. After that I can't seem to get a good practice in. I sit down and start samatha and just when I'm focusing on my breath a flood of thought just come rushing into my head and I feel defeated.
Hokai Sobol, modified 15 Years ago at 11/21/08 8:02 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 11/21/08 8:02 AM

RE: Practice experiences

It's difficult to make personalized remarks based on few sentences. I believe you should find a group with an experienced meditation teacher to make your first steps in a supportive environment, and have access to specific advice based on direct assessment. Also, if this type of stuff persists, you make consider replacing sitting meditation with some sort of more active cultivation for a while, especially one that develops attention and presence via bodily movement and breath (qigong is just an example).
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 15 Years ago at 11/22/08 1:45 PM
Created 15 Years ago at 11/22/08 1:45 PM

Author: lm913

I tend to lean towards Theravadin, what should I look for in choosing a teacher and what should I be wary of?

Dave
thumbnail
Chris Marti, modified 15 Years ago at 11/24/08 3:18 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 11/24/08 3:18 AM

I'd look for the same things you look for in a true friend: honesty, a willingness to stick with you in good and bad times, and so on. Then I'd add a critically important compenent -- someone who has been there, done that. In other wqords, a teacher who has reached a high level of attainment. Otherwise they will be of little use to you and you might waste a lot of time on bad advice. Go visit a lot of teachers from many sects. Get to know what you like and don't like before you decide. That may take more time but it's worth investing.

Breadcrumb