Finding a good teacher

thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 15 Years ago at 12/8/08 1:52 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 12/8/08 1:52 AM

Finding a good teacher

Author: josh0
Forum: Dharma Overground Discussion Forum

Up until now I've been pretty much been going it alone. In doing so I've certainly made some progress including at least one possible crossing of the A&P. However, or perhaps because of that, my practice has fallen off. For a period of several months I was managing to sit every weekday. I worked my way up being able to manage no more than 10-15 minutes of sitting to easily sitting 75+ minutes, and for maybe a month and a half I was sitting 60-75 minutes per day, 5 days per week. But then things dropped off.

Part of the reason I was able to incorporate as much sitting into my life as I did is that the Cambridge Insight Meditation Center is on my walk to/from work every day. So as long as I'm able to get out of work early enough I'm able to stop there on my way home. However not being a member, and not really being in a position to think about spending money on meditation, I've been constrained to only going during their scheduled open sittings which just doesn't work most of the time. I've tried meditating at home, but I just find the environment to be less than ideal (largely because we have one very disrespectful cat and another who takes all closed doors as a personal affront and challenge).

I think that one of the reasons that I've been unable to maintain my practice long term is that it's always been an individual one. Being accountable to no one but myself it's very easy for me to put it off which turns into a habit which results in me having not sat for probably two months at this point. I'm determined to get back into it, even if I have to sit at home, but I know from experience that this is not always enough. So I'm interested in finding a good teacher, ideally one who uses maps and is not averse to a practical approach.

Does anyone know of any such teachers in the Boston area? Specifically I'm in Somerville.

Breadcrumb