eye flickers during stage shifts and fruitions

thumbnail
tarin greco, modified 15 Years ago at 2/13/09 6:50 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 2/13/09 6:50 AM

eye flickers during stage shifts and fruitions

Forum: Dharma Overground Discussion Forum

please raise your hand if you get this. i used to notice a couple of my teachers do this weird blinking thing every so often, and i think i'm finding that i do it too now. why does this happen? i used to think maybe there was some causality between blinking and fruitions (or other stage shift), like they cause a blink, but now im wondering if its not more like they sneak in just when im starting to blink and somehow make me blink harder.

i know this topic doesnt have much to do with practice but its so screwy that i wanted to bring it up and see how generic or idiosyncratic this pattern is. i also wonder if its a case of monkey see monkey do. does anyone here go through clear stage shifts or fruitions in daily life while not being just about to blink?
thumbnail
Jackson Wilshire, modified 15 Years ago at 2/13/09 7:00 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 2/13/09 7:00 AM

RE: eye flickers during stage shifts and fruitions

I get eye flickers just about every time I sit to meditate. It started happening a lot after I busted out of the Dark Night. I haven't had any Fruitions that I know of (and I have a feeling I'd know by now), and I still get the flutters. I've been trying to do my best to make use of their presence, as they seem to be a good way to observe imperanence in action.

I am curious to see what others have to say, though. Interesting topic.
thumbnail
tarin greco, modified 15 Years ago at 2/13/09 7:16 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 2/13/09 7:16 AM

oh that reminds me, i didnt say: my eyes have flickered a lot over the years, in several different ways, and sometimes without my awareness (other people point it out and asked me why), but i thought it was because of 'energy trapped in my head' (a energy doctor told me that i have blockages that prevent it from moving down). but now after getting path this kind of 'freefall hard eye blink' (i dont know how to describe it) has been added to the antics.
Hokai Sobol, modified 15 Years ago at 2/13/09 7:56 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 2/13/09 7:56 AM

I presume you mean only blinking (i.e. the movement of eyelids) which is usually associated with relaxation of facial and eye muscles. The blinking associated with meditation should not be interfered with, whether one sits with eyes open, half-closed, or closed. On the other hand, movement of eyeballs (often unaware) can be associated with certain state shifts (whether normal or abnormal), though it may also be caused by deeper relaxation and/or twitching of extraocular muscles. Mindful pre-meditative relaxation of these muscles is taught in several schools of Buddhist meditation. Also, different positions of eyelids and eyeballs are actively used to support particular methods of meditation. Plus, extraocular muscles are the only voluntary muscles not to be affected by atonia during REM phase of sleep/dream.

Breadcrumb