Best Intermediate/Advanced Books Out There

Eric Calhoun, modified 15 Years ago at 2/25/09 5:31 PM
Created 15 Years ago at 2/25/09 5:31 PM

Best Intermediate/Advanced Books Out There

Forum: Dharma Overground Discussion Forum

I was cruising around the web, and I found myself really frustrated how many teachers, even quality ones, have published multiple books... and they're ALL written for the beginners. Argh!

I realize that this is a bigger market than those of us who have stuck with it and progressed, and just because the book starts out with an intro to what meditation is doesn't mean it necessarily is entry level (MCTOTB of course starts with the basics). But I'm having a hard time finding new resources when such a large percentage of books/audio books take it from the top... Every. Single. Time.

So I thought I would turn this frustration into something constructive and launch this thread, and ask people to share what their favorite Non-Beginner books are.
thumbnail
Jackson Wilshire, modified 15 Years ago at 2/25/09 5:43 PM
Created 15 Years ago at 2/25/09 5:43 PM

RE: Best Intermediate/Advanced Books Out There

@2birds1stone:

Check out Daniel's list from his InteractiveBuddha.com site --> http://interactivebuddha.com/booklist.shtml

This is as good a place to start as any :-D

Practice well,

Jackson
Guillermo Z, modified 15 Years ago at 2/25/09 6:51 PM
Created 15 Years ago at 2/25/09 6:51 PM

Hi 2birds1Stone!

I agree with Jackson, Daniel's list is very good. From that list I ordered two books: "The Path of Serenity and Insight" and the "Visuddhimagga". They are both hardcore and the second one would take a lifetime to understand. I guess that at some point would make sense to read the suttas (back to the roots).

I hope this helps,

Guillermo
thumbnail
Florian, modified 15 Years ago at 2/25/09 7:40 PM
Created 15 Years ago at 2/25/09 7:40 PM

The suttas are probably not introductory beginner material (even though some were evidently composed to that end).

If you are considering to read the suttas cover to cover, I'd suggest starting with the Majjhima Nikaya, the middle length discourses, as it's the most satisfying to read in terms of length of the individual discourses, and the variety and depth of the content.

Digha (long), Anguttara and Samyutta Nikayas can be a bit of a drag to read, either because of the propaganda angle (some Digha discourses), or the elaborate permutations and slight variations (Samyutta and Anguttara). There's good stuff in all of the collections, of course: Majjhima has great meditation suttas, such as "one after another" and anapanasati and satipatthana suttas; Digha has the parinibbana (account of the Buddha's last days) and maha-satipatthana suttas; Samyutta has the "setting in motion the wheel of the Dhamma" and the discourse on the not-self characteristic, among other gems; and Anguttara has the Kalama Sutta, for example.

It's an acquired taste. The suttas were not written to current literary tastes. If you can read the genealogies in the Bible, or the catalogue of ships in the Iliad, then the suttas will be no problem emoticon

Cheers,
Florian
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 15 Years ago at 3/3/09 5:00 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 3/3/09 5:00 AM

Author: GhostLLP

I would look into Mouni Sadhu's material. Particularly "Concentration" and "Meditation." You will find some more "advanced" stuff there.

If you're really serious check out Franz Bardon's "Initiation Into Hermetics"

Or if you want to go crazy, check out "Tibetan Yoga and Secret Doctrines" by Evans-Wentz.

Peace
Lucas
Trent S H, modified 15 Years ago at 3/3/09 1:55 PM
Created 15 Years ago at 3/3/09 1:55 PM

I'd add Dogen's Shobogenzo to the list; you can download it free online. I would say it's very advanced, because it is steeped in ridiculous dogma, explains issues in vague or artistic ways, and has many views I would straight up reject. That said, though, it also carries it's weight in gold if you tread carefully.
thumbnail
Jackson Wilshire, modified 15 Years ago at 3/3/09 6:08 PM
Created 15 Years ago at 3/3/09 6:08 PM

I agree with the above points. I have the "Moon in a Dew Drop" book, which I think is a pretty good translation. If it is read and accepted in a dogmatic way, I think it may bring more harm than good. It's good for readers who can cut through to the practical applications. His essay on "The Time-Being" is one of my favorites.

Breadcrumb