Change of methods - Direct realization

thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 15 Years ago at 4/13/09 8:38 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 4/13/09 8:38 AM

Change of methods - Direct realization

Author: nails888
Forum: Dharma Overground Discussion Forum

As of late, I've been profoundly attracted to direct realization techniques of advaita vedanta ( I've been doing regular vipassana & shamata)- This includes teachers such as Adyashanti, Nisargadatta maharaj. and general zazen practice. As I understand, the method is to understand the real nature of "I" and realizing that it does not exist. Pros are, that I love this method, but cons are there's no way to find out where you are in practice, compared with I'm talking about insight and shamatha maps.

Is there anyone who practices direct realization techniques? How do you do it? Do you set a specific time to meditate or generally watch the sensations?

Do I have any incorrect assumptions about this ( from what I've written above)?
Any protips/resoruces welcome :-)
Craig N, modified 15 Years ago at 4/13/09 9:53 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 4/13/09 9:53 AM

RE: Change of methods - Direct realization

Hi nails888

I've been wondering when to jump in and make my first DhO post and this seems like something I can contribute to so here goes emoticon

I've done some direct realization techniques and relating to the con of "no way to find out where you are in practice" I know what you mean - I don't know where I am, sometimes I think I've barely begun, and other times I wonder if I'm anagami. If there were easy-to-find realized teachers who were willing to discuss such things, that would be a solution. I haven't looked, so I can't say there are or are not, although I've read plenty of reports on DhO about teachers who do not know, and teachers who know but will not say.

There's always the Zen maps - Ox Herding pictures, the Five Ranks referenced elsewhere on DhO. I have at times believed the Tibetan Bhumis can line up with direct practice development (Dzogchen/Mahamudra) but that's if you can get past all the cultural stuff .

The stink of enlightenment is probably a good sign of progress and whatever experience(s) led to that stink developing. For me it was an experience where I saw through the relative - dropped it completely - and saw for the first time in a very clear way the absolute.

I suppose the underlying issue with all of this map-reading is that the maps don't seem to all line up 100% so being done in any one line of development becomes less absolute and more relative emoticon

As an extreme example, I'm aiming for enlightenment but i revisit actualism (actualfreedom.com.au) periodically and find it hard to forget their position on the instinctual passions.

In closing the best thing I have found about direct realization techniques is I have had a lot of luck practicing them during day to day life, and have not had to undertake any retreats to get this far.

Craig
Trent S H, modified 15 Years ago at 4/13/09 12:55 PM
Created 15 Years ago at 4/13/09 12:55 PM

Hi Nails,

From my experience (and I cite no other), the standard stages of enlightenment will occur regardless of whether or not you're using direct realization techniques or a "gradual approach." I have used direct practice as my "go to technique" for the entire path, and it has worked well in that context. In fact, it is all I used until late 2nd stage of the 4 path model, and I distinctly remember the stages of insight as written in Daniel's MCTB. It could be argued that I was unintentionally practicing Vipassana along side my "who am I" inquiry, but I think if that is the case, it would probably be the case for most folks.

For more specific instruction on this type of inquiry, see this thread: http://dharmaoverground.wetpaint.com/thread/2549887/A+technique+for+techniques

I stress that you need to surrender yourself to direct realization techniques. Really putting your heart into it. Truly dare to wonder and search for who you are inside of your mind, ask with a passion that demands an answer.

Another good direct technique as written up by Kenneth: http://dharmaoverground.wetpaint.com/thread/2400889/the+mirror

Trent
thumbnail
Vincent Horn, modified 15 Years ago at 4/13/09 3:33 PM
Created 15 Years ago at 4/13/09 3:33 PM

Yeah, I'd agree w/ Trent on this one, having done both a ton of vipassana and now a lot of self-inquiry as well, these are not separate paths. They are different practices, for sure, but not different paths so far as I can tell. Both lead, inexorably, toward awakening. As Trent is hinting at, the common denominator is the sincerity behind the practice. Whatever authentic practice one does, if they do it with complete and utter sincerity, that is enough.
Chuck Kasmire, modified 15 Years ago at 4/14/09 6:10 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 4/14/09 6:10 AM

Lately I have been thinking of jhana practice (regardless of whether this is your 2-jhana visudhimaga approach or single jhana sutta jhana approach) when correctly done as the direct approach with a hand rail (or training wheels). It gives the mind sufficient support to steady it while allowing the mind to let go more and more and rest on its own. When incorrectly practiced the rail becomes a support that the mind becomes dependent on (and thus never free of).

Concentration in this respect is the ability to let go of the rail more and more while insight is the skill to: “Truly dare to wonder and search for who you are inside of your mind, ask with a passion that demands an answer” as Trent so nicely puts it.

-Chuck

Breadcrumb