Message Boards Message Boards

Tech Stuff

IRC or Jabber MUC for realtime communication?

Toggle
Forum: Dharma Overground Discussion Forum

While I appreciate the wealth of information found on DhO, and enjoy the member input in these discussions, I do miss some sort of a forum where members can “hang out” and communicate in realtime — i.e., a chatroom. In olden days the choice could fall on IRC (“Internet Relay Chat”), whereas today an XMPP (“Jabber”) MUC (“Multi User Chat”) would probably be more appropriate. Am I the only one who'd fancy this?

RE: IRC or Jabber MUC for realtime communication?
Answer
4/12/09 11:24 PM as a reply to Klaus Lundahl Engelholt.
It would be even better if it's continuously archived and searchable in perpetuity. I'm sure all sorts of interesting things would come out in casual back-and-forth, as opposed to stop-and-think posting.

Answer
4/12/09 11:26 PM as a reply to Klaus Lundahl Engelholt.
Some sort of real-time chat or a skype "group conversation" (or whatever it's called) may eventually lend itself to group sitting, too, which can be very motivating.

Answer
4/13/09 12:07 AM as a reply to Klaus Lundahl Engelholt.
I wholeheartedly agree.

It should be pretty easy to have a bot sitting on an IRC channel or a MUC room, then posting each incoming line to a web page (heck, even a microblogging (twitter or some such) account).

Answer
4/13/09 3:23 AM as a reply to Klaus Lundahl Engelholt.
I love the ideas here. Keep em' flowing.

We're actually in the process of planning out and creating a new home for Dharma Overground (DhO 2.0 you could call it) and the real-time chat + group sitting thing is definitely on our potential feature list. emoticon

Answer
4/13/09 11:26 AM as a reply to Klaus Lundahl Engelholt.
Sort of like what Shinzen Young does, Vince?

Answer
4/13/09 3:37 PM as a reply to Klaus Lundahl Engelholt.
I'm not %100 sure what Shinzen does, so I don't know for sure. But maybe something along those lines, yes.

Also, we haven't really hammered out the details of any of it. I think we'll definitely be coming to the community for ideas and feedback before trying anything out. emoticon

Answer
4/14/09 5:03 AM as a reply to Klaus Lundahl Engelholt.
>> I'm not %100 sure what Shinzen does, so I don't know for sure. But maybe something along those lines, yes.

This is what he does:

http://www.basicmindfulness.org/

I'm gladly paying money for it, FYI. emoticon

Answer
4/14/09 5:05 AM as a reply to Klaus Lundahl Engelholt.
>> I'm gladly paying money for it, FYI. emoticon

Er, in other words, I value this sort of thing highly enough to pay for it, which is a huge endorsement of this sort of approach. They usually come out to about two-ish hours of meditation time and two-ish hours of teaching and discussion.

The structure is what's so great. I stick something on my calendar and once a month I don't have to think--I just follow directions and gets tons of good practice in.

Answer
4/14/09 11:36 PM as a reply to Klaus Lundahl Engelholt.
Liferay looks interesting, I look forward to seeing what's inside. emoticon

chats irc mibbit
Answer
1/31/11 8:14 PM as a reply to Klaus Lundahl Engelholt.
How about mibbit?

Announcements Announcements