Christian & Sufi Maps & Resources?

thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 14 Years ago at 5/4/09 8:24 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/4/09 8:24 AM

Christian & Sufi Maps & Resources?

Author: cameran
Forum: Maps of Meditation

Hello,

I'm looking for some Christian & Sufi maps & resources (books). I am aware of John of the Cross and Meister Eckhart but was wondering if there were more Christian Mystics that have books available. Also I am very specifically interested in Sufi maps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Cameran
thumbnail
Vincent Horn, modified 14 Years ago at 5/4/09 11:08 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/4/09 11:08 AM

RE: Christian & Sufi Maps & Resources?

Hi Cameran,

A couple of Christian mystical books that I've found really interesting, both of which are contemporary:

- "What is Self?: A Study of the Spiritual Journey in Terms of Consciousness" - by Bernadette Roberts
- "Open Mind Open Heart: The Contemplative Dimension of the Gospel" - by Father Thomas Keating

Hope this is helpful.
thumbnail
tarin greco, modified 14 Years ago at 5/4/09 11:48 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/4/09 11:48 AM

'the cloud of unknowing', written anonymously in what is estimated to have been the 14th century in england, recommends a practice that is kind of a cross between 3 characteristics-style noting and a zen-ish 'know nothing' approach. instead of suffering characteristic, the author recommends using the momentary impulse to love god (or words to that effect) over and over as the object of relentless contemplation, as quickly as possible, day and night as long as the body is able to take it, to suspend all things of the world into a cloud of forgetting, and to penetrate, using that momentary impulse, into the cloud of unknowing.

not much of a map there but the author does discuss how piercing the veil between you and god is possible and will happen with enough practice and, if i remember correctly, a bit of grace.
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 14 Years ago at 5/4/09 12:42 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/4/09 12:42 PM

Author: ccasey

For a Christian Mystic resource, I read St. Theresa of Avila's 2 works titled:
The Interior Castle, and The Way of Perfection

For Sufi studies, I have read a good deal of the author, Indries Shaw. I especially like his book: Learning How To Learn.

If you read enough, the maps are there.
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 14 Years ago at 5/5/09 6:07 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/5/09 6:07 AM

Author: SoManyThoughts

The site innerexplorations.com has a whole lot of information on Christian mysticism. It's mostly online articles, but there may be some book lists there someplace.

You can also find a preview of Bernadette Robert's book The Experience of No-Self on google books.

Breadcrumb