?Concentration memory

Jamess, modified 5 Years ago at 7/18/18 1:42 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 7/18/18 1:42 PM

?Concentration memory

When a person goes to the gym and gains a certain level of strength, even if that person takes some time to break up and relax when they come back they regain that strength quickly, im wondering if that´s the case with concentration, let´s say you go in kasina retreat for a month and you reach that deep fourth jhana level with colorful photorealistic dragons. Then you go back to your normal life and little meditation, ?In the next retreat it would take less time to reach the last goal? thanks 
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 5 Years ago at 7/18/18 2:57 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 7/18/18 2:06 PM

RE: ?Concentration memory

Jamess:
When a person goes to the gym and gains a certain level of strength, even if that person takes some time to break up and relax when they come back they regain that strength quickly, im wondering if that´s the case with concentration, let´s say you go in kasina retreat for a month and you reach that deep fourth jhana level with colorful photorealistic dragons. Then you go back to your normal life and little meditation, ?In the next retreat it would take less time to reach the last goal? thanks 

I think it would depend on how long the time between the retreats was, and what  you were doing during that time in general and what  you were doing just before the retreat in particular.

Neuroplasticity is the ability of the brain to rewire itself as it learns and forgets skills. After a retreat your brain will be wired for meditation, but without constant practice the wiring will change over time as the neurons become recruited into skills that are being used.

And if you lead a busy stressful life, your mind will be turbulent and it will take longer for it to settle down when you try to meditate.  If you accumulate a lot of undigested baggage in your mind  between the retreats, you may find that coming out during the retreat as distracting thoughts.

To get the most out of a retreat I would suggest trying to live as quietly as possible the week before and do as much meditation as possible so your mind will be primed when you get to the retreat.

Also, depending on the type of meditation you do, if you could use the skills you use in meditation during daily life as mindfulness practice that might be helpful too. With the type of meditation I do there is very little difference between sitting meditation and mindfulness in daily life but I don't know if that would work with your style of practice. 
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 5 Years ago at 7/18/18 2:59 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 7/18/18 2:44 PM

Jamess:
 let´s say you go in kasina retreat for a month and you reach that deep fourth jhana level with colorful photorealistic dragons. Then you go back to your normal life and little meditation, ?In the next retreat ...

Can I ask an unrelated question? Does this reflect your own situation? I am wondering what you expect from meditation if you only do it on retreats? Why would someone go on a month long retreat and not meditate after it is over? I meditate every day because it helps me have equinimity and peace every day. I am not looking for a huge breakthrough, just a gradual improviement over a lifetime. I wonder what other people expect from their practices.

Thanks
Jamess, modified 5 Years ago at 7/18/18 2:47 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 7/18/18 2:47 PM

Jim Smith:
Jamess:
 let´s say you go in kasina retreat for a month and you reach that deep fourth jhana level with colorful photorealistic dragons. Then you go back to your normal life and little meditation, ?In the next retreat ...

Can I ask an unrelated question? Does this reflect your own situation? I am wondering what you expect from meditation if you only do it on retreats? Why would someone go on a month long retreat and not meditate after it is over? I meditate every day because it helps me have equinimity and peace every day. I wonder what other people expect from their practices

Thanks
Well, partially, i meditate 2 hours a day and im planning in doing a retreat, but i was wondering how i can maintain the concentration gains.. So yeah, because even when i meditate 2 hours a day they slowly start to fade after the retreat. 

Breadcrumb