Rangyung Yeshe Institute (Nepal)

thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 14 Years ago at 5/9/09 11:39 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/9/09 11:39 PM

Rangyung Yeshe Institute (Nepal)

Author: JamesAlexander
Forum: Places to Practice

I'm attending a 6 week studie/practice course in Kathmandu this summer. It's held in a traditional Tibetan Buddhist Monastery and the monastery is led by Nyima Rinpoche. I was wondering if anyone in here has been there before? It would be cool to get some tips before I leave. (places to go, things to do, people I should meet etc).

Peace
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 14 Years ago at 5/12/09 9:06 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/12/09 9:06 AM

RE: Rangyung Yeshe Institute (Nepal)

Author: capt_k

Hi James,
I'm originally from Nepal and have been in the US for the past 23 or so years. I may be able to help you. I'm also headed to Kathmandu in the summer for three weeks and would like to visit some of the places myself. Let's exchange notes. Take cake.
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 14 Years ago at 5/12/09 10:18 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/12/09 10:18 PM

I'll for sure bring some cake...don't they have that in Nepal? What a shame! (haha)

I'm in Boudhanat (probably spelled wrong) from 16th June until 3rd of August. Maybe we could hook up? Are you familiar with this area? There is a famous stupa their I'm told emoticon

I'm really looking forward to this and I hope to meet some likeminded people, especially when it comes to practice.

Take care
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 14 Years ago at 5/13/09 7:35 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/13/09 7:35 AM

Author: capt_k

I meant care but yes, cake would definitely get the Nepalis impressed; especially if you can bake one yourself.

Yes there is a big stupa called Baudha and the locals call great/holy people & places Nath thus Boudhanath. I will definitely be coming to the Baudha area but will be spending a lot of time in training and maybe receive a rare Wang from my teacher. Most pf my family still live in Nepal so I'm sure they already have some plans for me.. That's how it works in Nepal. Others make plans for you and expect you to show up for luncher and dinners when they invite you!

Going back to practice, what are your plans? Do you have a teacher in Nepal? Are you planning anything specific? Let me know and we can make plans to meet up. Have a great day.
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 14 Years ago at 5/13/09 7:55 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/13/09 7:55 AM

Family is important!

I know a woman who studied at Rangyung Yeshe for 7 years. She convinced me to attend their summer course in Buddhist Studies. My teacher is a student of Jes Bertelsen, who is a student of the late Urgyen Tulku, who's sun incidentally runs the Ka Nying Shedrup Ling Monastery, where the course is held.

I think the course is quite "academic", but there are daily sessions of practice and the course ends with a 2 week retreat at the Asura Cave retreat center.

I'm also hoping to establish a few contacts in the area, especially at one of the local schools. I'm thinking of writing my masters on the phenomena "bullying". More precise, I want to find out in what way the cultural context plays in on this phenomena. If everything goes well I'll be back the year after to do some research (interviewing, getting the necessary data)

Peace emoticon

Breadcrumb