Interview w/ Daniel Ingram on Buddhist Geeks

thumbnail
Vincent Horn, modified 14 Years ago at 4/29/09 2:14 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 4/29/09 2:14 AM

Interview w/ Daniel Ingram on Buddhist Geeks

Forum: Websites of Value

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I interviewed Daniel again for Buddhist Geeks a few weeks ago, and the 1st part of our discussion is live on Buddhist Geeks today: http://bit.ly/XhjkI

It's basically a promotion of his book, but we speak about some pretty cool stuff, including the three trainings, the gold standards of each training, and the all-important three characteristics. Even though it may be old hat for many here, I figured I'd let you know. emoticon

Also, next week we'll be airing the 2nd part of our discussion which was a conversation about The Dharma Overground community! I'll post the link to that one when here, when it goes live.

Best,

-Vince
thumbnail
tarin greco, modified 14 Years ago at 4/29/09 2:43 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 4/29/09 2:43 AM

RE: Interview w/ Daniel Ingram on Buddhist Geeks

finally! an interview with ingram that is much of the book in a nutshell and in audio form.

highly recommended for anyone who wants to know what's in 'Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha' but hasn't read it for whatever reason (cant afford to buy/print, dont like reading online, dont like reading, etc). be warned though, dan talks fast so dont multi-task while listening.

thanks for doing the interview and promoting it here as it is an excellent resource.
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 14 Years ago at 4/29/09 3:56 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 4/29/09 3:56 AM

Author: yadidb

Thanks for that Vince,
I really like these podcasts.
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 14 Years ago at 4/29/09 6:15 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 4/29/09 6:15 AM

Author: ccasey

Thank you Vince and Daniel!
thumbnail
Vishal Lama, modified 14 Years ago at 4/29/09 7:20 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 4/29/09 7:20 AM

Yeah, I listened to that audio interview at around 2am! As usual, hard-hitting dharma talk from Daniel. I will be frank: he sounded like a modern-day Buddhist Crusader (is that an oxymoron?). He spoke about the three characteristics from an insight perspective at a blazing speed. So, as correctly pointed out by Tarin, listeners cannot afford to multi-task when listening to the podcast.

I think the message that Daniel gave in that interview was, "Wake Up if you wish to Awaken!" (Dang, I just came up with an awesome catchphrase!)
thumbnail
Abingdon , modified 14 Years ago at 5/6/09 1:24 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/6/09 1:24 PM

Great interview! It inspired me to order a printed/bound copy of MCTB (from my local independent bookstore). Should be a lot easier to read than the pile of loose pages I've been using. I look forward to part 2 of the interview.

Gotta say, though: Daniel -- less caffeine! ;-)

Thanks again!
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 14 Years ago at 5/6/09 3:02 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/6/09 3:02 PM

Author: WayneWI

Vince - I have been listening to Buddhist geeks for awhile and I have heard your other interviews with Daniel but.. this time, you guys really blew me away. I have recently been regaining some footing with my practice and this interview came at a great time for me. The flood of information was amazing. I listened to that podcast three times in one day and I finally ordered a copy of the book!

I have remained silent for these last two years, but I cannot thank you enough for providing the podcast. I do not know of people open to this approach to practice and have never actually had a conversation about practice with anyone that spoke English as their first language so your program has been valuable to my practice, particularly lately. I have tons of questions for everyone but I want to get through the book first.

Anyway, I wanted to make sure my first post was thanks to you and all of the guests on your podcast.

Cheers,

Wayne
Marcello Spinella, modified 14 Years ago at 5/6/09 3:10 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/6/09 3:10 PM

Daniel, did you always talk so fast or did Arhantship crank you up a few notches?

No joke, instead of listening to your interviews on streaming, I download them and listen to them on Windows Media Player at half speed. But that's not a complaint. The reason is that you don't talk fluff. It's dense with content and I don't want to miss any.

Thanks.
thumbnail
Vincent Horn, modified 14 Years ago at 5/7/09 11:36 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/7/09 11:36 AM

Thank you Wayne. I'm really thrilled that the podcast has been of value for you. :-D

I hope you enjoy Daniel's book and if you participate here on the Dharma Overground you find it helpful.

Best,

-Vince
Nicola Joanne Dunn, modified 14 Years ago at 5/9/09 3:00 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/9/09 3:00 AM

Just a few things to say about the podcast.
Firstly; Daniel is so enlightened he doesn't have to breathe anymore!
Damn he can talk fast, and for ages without seeming to catch his breath!
It's so wonderful though because you can just feel that passion behind it, and he obviously knows so much about what he's talking about. It's really nice to hear him talk.
Though I've listened to the podcast three times already as I have an odd auditory processing disorder, which makes speech difficult to understand, and the speed he goes at, I miss so much!

However, I did just 'click' something amazing whilst listening to it yesterday waiting for the bus.
I've spent up til now having that whole 'the world is a kind of dream' understanding, but I always felt that it's my dream, so really the world is what I make it in a way. And something he said, I can't even remember which bit it was but to do with impernanence, just totally kicked me out of it, and suddenly I realised actually, I'm kind of a dream as well, and the world is just there going around and rising and passing and I really have no bearing on it at all.
The sun will still rise in the mornings, whatever I do.
And as small as it sounds, that's actually a really big breakthrough - it's like I see the whole world in a totally different light. And more importantly, myself in a different light. It's really cool.

I finally managed to print off the book. Yeah for the ink spent, it would have been cheaper to buy probably, but if I'm studying a book, I really like to have it printed off and in a folder so I can write comments and things all over the margins and highlight sections. I don't like doing that in actual books.
And I can insert pages of notes inbetween pages in the book.
Can't wait to get to it later :-)

Nicola
Nicola Joanne Dunn, modified 14 Years ago at 5/9/09 3:01 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/9/09 3:01 AM

Oh yeah though - despite my setting it to print in reverse, so it'd come out the right way, it has, of course, printed the wrong way. So I'm going to spend hours just getting it all reversed so I can read it!
Typical!

Nicola
Djon Ma
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 14 Years ago at 5/10/09 7:30 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/10/09 7:30 AM

Dear All,

I am so glad you liked the interviews. I am sorry I talk so fast at times, but the feeling of wanting to get a lot of good information out there sometimes overwhelms my understanding that I can only go so fast and have it work well for many people.

Vince mentioned something about getting it transcribed, so perhaps there will be text versions of them at some point.

As to caffeine, I purposefully avoid it for obvious reasons. ;)

Daniel
thumbnail
Vincent Horn, modified 14 Years ago at 5/10/09 12:46 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/10/09 12:46 PM

Transcripts are up for both parts of the interview now. emoticon
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 14 Years ago at 5/10/09 1:38 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/10/09 1:38 PM

You da man! Thanks, Vince!
Nicola Joanne Dunn, modified 14 Years ago at 5/11/09 12:52 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/11/09 12:52 AM

Thanks Vince!

Nicola
Djon Ma
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 14 Years ago at 5/13/09 5:56 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/13/09 5:56 PM

Author: okir

Thank you. Yes, it was a little hard to follow your speedy delivery, however, your enthusiastic talk did give me the impetus to join Dharma Overground, and I'm starting to read the book... ;-)

Breadcrumb