Self-Enquiry & Mindfulness Meditation ~ Shinzen Young

thumbnail
C4 Chaos, modified 14 Years ago at 5/22/09 7:44 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/22/09 7:44 AM

Self-Enquiry & Mindfulness Meditation ~ Shinzen Young

Forum: Dharma Overground Discussion Forum

here, Shinzen Young answers one of the questions i submitted.
how does self-inquiry relate to mindfulness meditation. ~http://bit.ly/157li6

Shinzen also talks about dissolution (bhanga) in this video. ~http://bit.ly/ELrnn

check it out and follow through with a discussion.

~C
thumbnail
Florian, modified 14 Years ago at 5/22/09 8:10 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/22/09 8:10 AM

RE: Self-Enquiry & Mindfulness Meditation ~ Shinzen Young

Great question, great answer.

Thanks for asking, and for posting the reply, C!

Question: if looking at the source (self enquiry) and looking at the "destination" where phenomena vanish, is really looking at the same place - what does that say about the recent discussions on singular vs. multiple awakenings, source vs. delta, no dog (accessible by inclining awareness towards itself) and fruition (accessible by inclining the mind towards cessation)?

I admit that this question is of a highly speculative nature for me, and I ask it mainly because it is closely related to the actual practice I do.

Cheers,
Florian
thumbnail
Jackson Wilshire, modified 14 Years ago at 5/22/09 9:34 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/22/09 9:34 AM

Hi Florian,

Great question. I'll take a quick stab at one possible answer...

Inclining the mind toward cessations of phenomena can result in two different occurrences, as you pointed out. It can result in a sort of "figure-ground reversal", whereby one becomes identified with the nothingness as opposed to phenomena. This works to establish a no-dog type of state, at least in my experience.

There are other times, particularly in High Equanimity, when watching/noting cessations may actually cause the whole mind-body process to momentarily STOP. Why noting cessations works as a catalyst in this instance is beyond me.

In short, no-dog could be described as experiencing the nothing (or Source, or I AM) from the perspective of time and space, and Fruition is a collapsing in to the Source that momentarily halts any time-space perspectives.

Getting back to the heart of your question, what this says about singular vs multiple types of awakening (IMHO) is that the multiple types of awakening we have been talking about have a common feature, and that is an experience of the Source in one way or another. It may just be something that is understood differently based on which perspective is used to experience it (to use clumsy, dualistic language). I put this together based on both experience and theory, so it may not be the same for others. I'm curious to hear the opinions of others in the forum.

Did that address your question at all?

Jackson
thumbnail
Florian, modified 14 Years ago at 5/22/09 8:01 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/22/09 8:01 PM

Thanks, Jackson, you got right to the heart of my question.

I noticed how discussing "the source" will have me form a lot of associations with some separate source hidden away somewhere out there - very cool! I wasn't even aware I harbored such silly notions. I'll be watching this one. Now, to find a good mental note...

Cheers,
Florian

Breadcrumb