Different childhood experiences and how they relate to practice

thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 14 Years ago at 5/23/09 7:50 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/23/09 7:50 PM

Different childhood experiences and how they relate to practice

Author: JamesAlexander
Forum: Dharma Overground Discussion Forum

It seems to be quite common that children spontaneously experience many phenomena that's also typical for mediators. In my practice I sometimes come across experiences and sensations that I also had while lying in bed before going to sleep as a kid. I would like to comment that I'm not interested in elevating childhood experiences as being the same as different types of meditative realizations (ref: Ken Wilber and the pre/trans fallacy). However, the young and malleable mind seems prone to stumbling across some of the same territory that we cross in shamata/vipasana practice. I thought we could share our "childhood stories" in this thread:
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 14 Years ago at 5/23/09 8:01 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/23/09 8:01 PM

RE: Different childhood experiences and how they relate to practice

Author: JamesAlexander

Very often, while lying in bed, or especially while standing in front of the mirror in my bathroom, I would have these intense "Who the FUCK am I" experiences. I emphazise the FUCK, because the sudden arising of the question and the feeling that followed was very unpleasant. It would last maybe for 10 to 60 second, then subside. Today I see a parallel to insight practice. When investigating the "no -self" characteristics of my own subjectivity I come across the same experience: Who the FUCK am I?

While lying in bed I would often have strange perceptual experiences, like the room closing in on me, walls bulging and a sense of everything in my immediate experience being crushed together (a bit like tunnel visioning). I've come across lot of the same stuff when my shamata and insight practice intensifies.

Breadcrumb