Dark night cycling

Nikolai Stephen Halay, modified 14 Years ago at 5/11/09 6:12 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/11/09 6:12 AM

Dark night cycling

Forum: Maps of Meditation

I feel I need to write down what is happening to me, if just only to clarify to myself what it is. Does this sound familiar to anyone out there?

I have become more aware recently of the cycling I go through through in Dark night territory. I am currently in the disgust stage. Everything appears unsatisfactory. Life is unsatisfactory, these sensations which I cant ignore for one second, the constant flow of bollocks negativity, making money, trying to survive in today´s world, having to constantly deal with Dark night (it feels constant)...all of it is bollocks. The can of coke I just drank...why? UNSATISFACTORY! What´s the point. Oof!...Anyway, that is the underlying feeling I have at the moment. Just though I´d let a little of it flow onto the keyboard to convey exactly where I am. Ultimately I know where this flow of negativity is localized....It´s in my chest area or sometimes it moves to my throat. A constant flow of negative unpleasantness. if I am aware of it then i am equanmous but sometimes the mind slips looks for an object for the agitation. Someone looked at me funny, the bus is late, why doesn´t my fiance understand me, you are an annoying person, this is not satisfactory, that is not satisfactory, blah, blah blah!...It´s like you are in a constant battkle to keep your head above water, occasionally losing balance and going under and losing focus and reacting. My god, it makes me laugh now. Reading Dharma overground nmakes me foucs more and I can maintain my head above water. At the moment it feels like i am sitting ontop of the sensations of negativity and they are not ´me´ but just what is there. At the moment ´I´ is not identifying and subjectifying. In control.
Nikolai Stephen Halay, modified 14 Years ago at 5/11/09 6:12 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/11/09 6:12 AM

RE: Dark night cycling

Yesterday I passed through the earlier stages of dukkha, the misery and sadness where impressively present. The mind just dropped on anything that it could think of to objectify the negativity. But I managed to keep observing and observing allowing it to flow and change, allowing it to pass without reaction. I kept reminding myself to look at the vibrations and how it was just a flow of arisiing and passing away. It´s bloody hard work I tells ya!. Head above water, head under water..glug! glug! gug!, head above water..glug! glug! above glug! etc etc. Anyway, I just wanted to share what it´s like to be Dark nighting. I am now doing kasina meditation a lot and it has certainly improved my concentration but it has also improved my navegation through dark night. Meditation isn´t all shit and piss these days. Thank the heavens I am scheduled in for a 10 day course in September.
Martin Potter, modified 14 Years ago at 5/11/09 6:50 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/11/09 6:50 AM

Hi Nick

The dark night can be tough, but stick with it it's just a passing phase. Don't stop practising emoticon

In regards to your comment about the coke, here's a quote from MCTB which might be relevant:
"The illusion of satisfactoriness has to do with the false sense that continuing to mentally create the illusion of a separate, permanent self will be satisfactory or helpful, and is not referring to some oppressive and fun-denying angst trip"

Here's some stuff to play around with which might make it easier. Firstly, a lot of suffering is amplified by negative thinking. Mindfulness of thinking can be an extremely useful practise. Try being extremely alert watching for the next thought, like a cat watching a mouse hole. Try to also be alert to the subtle, under-the-surface thoughts. The more subtle the thought, the easier it is to identify with it. I found recently that I'd been identifying with subtle negative commentary and judgements. Here's an excellent article about it:
http://www.shinzen.org/shinsub3/artEmptyMind.htm

Negative emotions can be divided into their component parts to make them more manageable. For example, you may find that negative emotions are made up two components which are bundled together: thoughts and physical sensations.

If you find yourself really caught up in it, one thing you can experiment with is taking a third-person perspective and be the witness to your experience. Step back and see yourself, "Oh there I am thinking negative thoughts, feeling restless, feeling dissatisfaction." This can be useful to break yourself out the small self if you're rly stuck.

Another thing which makes the journey more pleasant / bearable is metta practise. Of course you need to make sure you don't identify with those thoughts and judgements that may come up e.g. "This is superficial, inauthentic" etc.
- Martin
Nikolai Stephen Halay, modified 14 Years ago at 5/21/09 5:26 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/21/09 5:26 AM

Thanks for the advice Martin,

I generlally, know how to deal with all this cycling but it feels good to talk about it soemtimes....get it off my chest. I live in Chile, South Amrica and this is my only connection to a Dhamma orientated group at the moment.

I know to step back from the experience of negative thoughts and the flowof negative un pleasant sensations , but at times when the mond is tired it feels like it gets sucked back down into being the subject of it all. It´s like this tug o´war battle to see who is in charge. The reactionary me, or the one who is practising vipassana. Thanks for the good vibes! It helps.

Nick
j g, modified 14 Years ago at 5/21/09 5:51 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/21/09 5:51 PM

I so understand the whole metta thing. I have a copy of the sutta on my clipboard that I carry with me in my patrol car. Everyday at the start of the shift I read it aloud in my car as I'm about to set off. I will also read it after taking a particularly nasty person to jail. I use to be real negative and cynical. I think this practice is really helping me get out of that, especially at work.

May all beings be happy...
thumbnail
Kenneth Folk, modified 14 Years ago at 5/21/09 5:56 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/21/09 5:56 PM

You are an extraordinary person, Jamie.

May all cops practice metta...
PE Ong, modified 14 Years ago at 5/25/09 7:16 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 5/25/09 7:16 PM

Wow, I salute you.
thumbnail
Adam F, modified 13 Years ago at 9/17/10 11:49 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/17/10 11:49 AM

Serious respect for a police officer practicing metta at work and being dedicated to the dharma. Wish there were more like you out there.

Metta