Retreating to/in Hong Kong

Nigel Sidley Thompson, modified 14 Years ago at 6/1/09 7:13 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/1/09 7:13 PM

Retreating to/in Hong Kong

Forum: Places to Practice

This is my second post and the first thread I've started. So, I first want to express high and sincere gratitude for the existence and the quality of this space. Thanks!

I'm in the process of identifying retreat locations here in Hong Kong.

Has anyone had experience with practicing here?

I've both a family and a budget, and these may preclude flying the short distance to Malaysia before next year or later. In the meantime, I'll try to find a space for a 9-10 day retreat here in HK.

So far, I'm aware of a Goenka center and a Fa Hong Monastery (associated with HK IMS). I'm very much able to look on the Internet and find the available spaces here, but I'm just interested to know if anyone has experience and/or recommendations.

Thank you.

Nigel
Martin Mai, modified 14 Years ago at 6/2/09 8:36 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/2/09 8:36 AM

RE: Retreating to/in Hong Kong

Hi Nigel,
interesting to hear that you are in Hong Kong. I have been there last year and came across a meditation center. I cannot remember the exact location but it was in Tsim Tsa choi district in a street running parallely to the street Chunking mansion is located. It is not far, only a couple of minutes per foot. It had a sign with a tibetan Buddha picture on it. Sorry for being so vague about this. Good luck,
Martin
Martin Mai, modified 14 Years ago at 6/3/09 1:32 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/3/09 1:32 AM

I just found this, maybe it helps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVhb96RWeho&feature=related
best wishes,
Martin
Nigel Sidley Thompson, modified 14 Years ago at 6/3/09 3:41 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/3/09 3:41 AM

Dear Martin,

Thanks very much for this. It turns out that that Hong Kong Theravada Meditation Society is actually in Tsim Sha Tsui. I wonder if it's the same one that you saw last year.

I'm just starting out here. So perhaps I'll eventually go to sit in several environments and see what kind of experiences I have.

I've also heard of a Hong Kong Satipatthana Centre. That sounds interesting as well.

Thanks again, Martin!!!

[edited for grammar]
David Hart, modified 14 Years ago at 6/3/09 5:47 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/3/09 5:47 PM

Hi Nigel,

I have been to the Goenka Center here... Its quite cramped so you get to practice your equanimity towards crowds and confined living situations (but I guess that's just a reflection of HK in general) ;-)

I hear they are trying to get a place on Lantau, which will be great, but for now, you can't beat the price of the goenka courses!

Dave

Breadcrumb