The meditation-creativity paradox

J C, modified 5 Years ago at 8/5/18 7:05 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 8/5/18 7:05 AM

The meditation-creativity paradox

Meditation reduces activity in the default network. The default network is linked with creativity.
Yet meditation has been shown to increase creativity.

Really interesting article about this: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/beautiful-minds/my-mindfulness-journey/
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 5 Years ago at 8/5/18 5:28 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 8/5/18 5:24 PM

RE: The meditation-creativity paradox

J C:
Meditation reduces activity in the default network. The default network is linked with creativity.
Yet meditation has been shown to increase creativity.

Really interesting article about this: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/beautiful-minds/my-mindfulness-journey/

This can be explained if the brain filters consciousness rather than produces consciousness. You can break a filter in two ways. You can puncture it or you can clog it. Damage to the brain that results in loss of mental function is like a clog. Damage to the brain that results in increased mental function is like a puncture. If meditation seems to suppress the default netowork, it could be that the actual changes are more like a puncture than a clog. 

More here:
https://sites.google.com/site/chs4o8pt/skeptical_fallacies#skeptical_fallacies_brain
thumbnail
JohnM, modified 5 Years ago at 8/6/18 11:42 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 8/6/18 11:41 PM

I’m curious how people deal with the A&P deluges of creativity and how they fluctuate. I have several wonderful projects on the go that burst forth during such periods but that take much longer to complete than the heady days of A&P experiences I’ve had out of retreat. The brilliant inspiration fades, but a steady glimmer remains as I plod at a much slower pace on these various creative projects. I’d love to hear how you all regulate creative workflow across these ebbings and flowing of “discursive brilliance” as Culadasa calls it. 
Thoughts?
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 5 Years ago at 8/7/18 12:25 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 8/7/18 12:01 AM

JohnM:
I’m curious how people deal with the A&P deluges of creativity and how they fluctuate. I have several wonderful projects on the go that burst forth during such periods but that take much longer to complete than the heady days of A&P experiences I’ve had out of retreat. The brilliant inspiration fades, but a steady glimmer remains as I plod at a much slower pace on these various creative projects. I’d love to hear how you all regulate creative workflow across these ebbings and flowing of “discursive brilliance” as Culadasa calls it. 
Thoughts?

I find ideas come to me when I meditate so if I have need for creativity I will try meditating. 

I also use the hypnogogic state for creativity. Try to meditate or do relaxation exercises when lying down, or just lie down and try go to sleep but also try to be aware of your menal state. When you notice vivid mental imagery and it is hard to concentrate on meditation for more than a few seconds, you are most likely in the hypnogogic state. You go through this state every time you go to sleep so it is easily accessible once you learn to recognize it. You can try to solve the problem or just repeat a question until you get distracted, then notice what thoughts you were distracted by, look for literal or symbolic answers. Thomas Edison would sit in a chair holding ball bearings in his fist and when he started to fall asleep the bearings would fall from his relaxed grip and the noise would inform him he was in the hypnogogic state. Also, if you are feeling a lot of stress or unpleasant emotions and you want a respite, you can hang out in the hypnogogic state. I find intense emotions dissipate when I'm in that state and, depending on the situation, they might not come back when I come up out of it. So sometimes if I'm upset, I wll try deep relaxation into the hypnogogic state as a way to get over it.

Another creativity aid I used a lot when I worked as an engineer and I couldn't meditate or lie down on the job, and which works for me almost like magic, is prayer. If you are an atheist and don't want to try praying, you can ask your unconscious mind or the flying spagetti monster.  Or, depending on your beliefs, you can also ask spirit guides, guardian angels or whomever it is you pray to. I believe the non-physical realm is not overly sensitive about how you refer to it. But I would ask, "O God, please show me how to ....." But the key phrase is "show me how to". It works better than "give me". My belief is that you get assistance in proportion to the effort you make. 
Keshin lu, modified 5 Years ago at 8/7/18 12:12 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 8/7/18 12:12 AM

If i have a vague question or intention about something, I wait.  And in emptiness, amazing thoughts, words, images, flows by and I jotted them down. Then I forget everything the next day. 
thumbnail
JohnM, modified 5 Years ago at 8/7/18 12:12 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 8/7/18 12:12 AM

Thank you Jim Smith. Very useful. I've done this informally as I often take two-minute naps during long work days, dipping in and out of sleep once or twice (usually a two-minute power nap gives me a better reset than ten minutes or more) and finding spontaneous insights and creative solutions popping up. Hadn't recognized the wider potential, so I'll work with that. Much appreciated!

Breadcrumb