Using the Maps of Insight

Pavel _, modified 13 Years ago at 9/2/10 5:12 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/2/10 5:12 AM

Using the Maps of Insight

I have been noticing that recently a lot of people have been interested in diagnosing the various interesting meditation experiences that they have had through and outside of practice. A lot of the time there is an interest in identifying where exactly it may be that they are at in terms of the maps of insight, as described in Daniel Ingram's book Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha.

While there is nothing wrong in this per se, from my own experience I can say that the fascination with maps and the identification of the various states and stages generally has had more to do with feeling good about my own practice, feeling as if I have achieved something, or some other playing out of the I am special sentiment. To my understanding, this is not what the maps are for. The advantage of the maps is that they clearly identify what it is that the practitioner should be looking for in their experience in order to make further progress. Making progress is paying attention to what it is that makes up ones experience moment-to-moment and in each one of the stages there will be a difference in the sensations presented (and in how they are presented, ie. speed, clarity, focus). The pitfall of the stages is buying into the experience instead of examining it (which is how progress is made). So it is altogether possible instead of observing such things to buy into the elation, joy and wild phenomena of the A&P, to avoid the suffering of the Dark Night, or to enjoy and solidify the calm and serenity of equanimity. Doing so stalls progress. Perhaps more appropriately, doing so makes progress impossible.

Escaping the trap of thinking of insight practice in terms of the interesting states and stages that it inevitably brings about, is easy to do if progress is instead measured in permanent changes that one makes in his/her ability to observe reality as it is. This would mean a clearer appreciation of the Three Characteristics, ie. noticing that all sensations flicker moment-to-moment (arise and pass away automatically), realizing that sensations happen of their own accord and to no one, or noticing that experience is just fine as it is when it is observed without manipulation. These permanent changes occur automatically after every path attained and deepen with time. These changes are permanent and irreversible, even if they can be less clear at times (such as during the Dark Night).

Asking the question, am I (semi)enlightened? seems strange if one has nothing to show for it apart from the experience that brought it about. If one was to attain to something of the sort, there would be clear signs in their observation of moment-to-moment experience, that is, they would notice that reality is being observed differently and with greater knowledge of what this reality is about. This knowledge would be experiential rather than intellectual, even if it would make it far easier to conceptualize their findings.

So what I would propose would be to look out for permanent attainments rather than temporary states and stages, to keep on practicing regardless of what and how experience is manifesting (good/bad/interesting/special/mundane/whatever) and to use the maps in order not to get stuck and keep on progressing. Change is good, as long as there are new things being discovered, as long as experience is changing and new phenomena are being observed, as long as there is movement from one stage to the next, progress is being made, even if the movement is unpleasant (ie. A&P to Dark Night).

I hope that this can be of some use. All the best in your practice.
thumbnail
Constance Casey, modified 13 Years ago at 9/2/10 10:45 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/2/10 10:45 PM

RE: Using the Maps of Insight

Yes!
just keep going, Constance