Drugs and concentration.

Jake Frankfurt Middenhall, modified 5 Years ago at 9/12/18 12:30 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 9/12/18 12:30 PM

Drugs and concentration.

Hi. Im interested in know if taking drugs like steroids, or stimulants would hinder my samatha progress in the long run. Anybody has experience being in a cycle while meditating? Thanks.
Jake Frankfurt Middenhall, modified 5 Years ago at 9/12/18 12:33 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 9/12/18 12:33 PM

RE: Drugs and concentration.

Cuz right now i have stable access to the fourth jhana after meditating a few years. I dont want to throw out my progress.
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 5 Years ago at 9/12/18 5:05 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 9/12/18 5:05 PM

There is little to no good science specifically for meditation on this, but there are other data points.

Stimulants are routinely used to help people get more concentrated, ADD, ADHD, studying, military and truckers, etc. That said, they can also be agitating. They are obviously habit forming and can have other side effects.

Steroids: to you mean like weight-lifter's anabolic steroids? I have no data on that at all or any idea what it would do.

What's behind the question?
Jake Frankfurt Middenhall, modified 5 Years ago at 9/12/18 5:30 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 9/12/18 5:30 PM

Well i dont take anabolic steroid or do i plan to take them in the short future. But im gonna take clenbuterol in order to cut weight very fast. I dont do vipassana at all, just mostly kasina and anapasatti. Concentration is a very high priority for me and i haveĀ  build it slowly over time, im planning in doing a retreat the other year. So, i wanted to know if there is someone who use those things and at the same time they meditate, just to know what is their experience.

Breadcrumb