when should we take a pain seriously

Amr El-Nowehy, modified 14 Years ago at 6/16/09 8:43 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/16/09 8:43 AM

when should we take a pain seriously

Forum: Dharma Overground Discussion Forum

Today while I was standing in a line up in the food court and observing my body's sensation, a vibration started in the middle chest area and started to spread and intensify deeper into the lungs and to my back and up to my throat. It was painful but I decided to observe it with equanimity until it was gone after few minutes.

But it occurred to me that this might be a real physical condition and I checked the internet and found that (discounting the vibration aspect) the pain I had matches a heart attack description. I’m not young (43) but I’m healthy or so I think.

How and when do we draw the line between a defilement sensation and a real physical condition?
thumbnail
Jackson Wilshire, modified 14 Years ago at 6/16/09 12:40 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/16/09 12:40 PM

RE: when should we take a pain seriously

Hi keeiton,

I hope Daniel is able to answer your question, being that he practices emergency medicine. I'm not a doctor, but I think you should probably have it checked out. It's one thing to get a kundalini headache, or get spasms in your legs or back while sitting, but I wouldn't let anything involving your heart to go unchecked.

Jackson
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 14 Years ago at 6/16/09 3:33 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/16/09 3:33 PM

Author: pookee

Angina (or chest pain) is a very serious symptom. If you go to the ER there are only a few symptoms that get you to the front of the line, and this is one of them (loss of consciousness and trouble breathing are the two others).

Usually, angina is not serious: anxiety and heartburn are common causes. But just in case, go see a doctor. If it was a heart attack it may mean part of your heart is infarcted (dead tissue) and you need treatment.
Amr El-Nowehy, modified 14 Years ago at 6/17/09 4:36 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 6/17/09 4:36 AM

I booked an appointment with my doctor. I'm not sure how to describe the experience though. Most likely I'll just explain it in terms of solid pain instead of vibrations. I don't want him to be concerned about my mental health as well. emoticon

Breadcrumb