Quitting coffee and its impact on my practice

BeeBoop, modified 5 Years ago at 9/14/18 5:25 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 9/14/18 5:25 PM

Quitting coffee and its impact on my practice

I have to quit coffee for health reasons, and it's having a negative impact on my practice. Though I'm tapering off gently, when I'm sitting I definitely notice that it's difficult to stay as focused as I could when I was having my normal amount of coffee. 

Anyone else go through this? Mostly want reassurance that I will pull through this like a champ and I can recultivate that focus. Tips would be appreciated.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 5 Years ago at 9/14/18 5:31 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 9/14/18 5:31 PM

RE: Quitting coffee and its impact on my practice

I quit drinking coffee on doctor's orders some time ago. I've since restarted drinking it (medical issue gone now) but quitting was not a long-term problem.
Edward Prunesquallor, modified 5 Years ago at 9/14/18 9:40 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 9/14/18 9:35 PM

I've felt much better after switching to green tea. The L-theanine in it has some calming properties. Keep it at no more than 3 cups a day and use plenty of sugar and honey to keep the cortisol rise down. Even normal people have been found to show signs of psychosis, as in auditory hallucinations, etc, when they take coffee.
thumbnail
Konstantin Alexandrov, modified 5 Years ago at 9/16/18 3:47 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 9/16/18 3:45 PM

Hi,

Naturally started to drink Pu-Erh tea back then when my practice kicked off, before every evening meditation if I feel asleep.

It feels a lot better than coffee, there are no coffee-related side effects like tiring and nervousness, though one needs to be careful with the dosage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pu%27er_tea

Could be you'll like it.

It's a heavily fermented tea that is kept for years under the ground, the more — the better.

Can be ordered on eBay directly from China in case you have no good tea stores around. Don't choose tablets-like packed offers, those are usually crappy.

Breadcrumb