Nei Kung practice - my only practice

Scott Newhall, modified 13 Years ago at 9/8/10 3:12 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/8/10 3:12 PM

Nei Kung practice - my only practice

Greetings -
I'd love to share ideas and experiences with others in this forum but it doesn't look there's much going on in here. Am I correct?
I'm a new member with 3 years of solid nei kung practice and many years of a bunch of other body/mind practices. Hope I'm not alone.
Regards,
S.
J Adam G, modified 13 Years ago at 9/13/10 4:00 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/13/10 4:00 PM

RE: Nei Kung practice - my only practice

I don't think there's a lot of Nei Kung discussion here, though you could try starting some. Other than that, this forum isn't always too active, but there's no reason to let that keep you from hanging around if you like the kind of discussion that goes on here, or if you have questions about it. =)
thumbnail
Jeff Grove, modified 13 Years ago at 9/14/10 5:22 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/14/10 2:31 AM

Hi Scott,

Welcome to DhO

Would be interested in hearing about your neigong practices and how your experience has changed in the 3 years of practice.

Does your Neigong have a specific alchemical goal and process that you can discuss?

Any (or all) of the following elements?:
Meditation
Breath
Sitting
Standing
Moving form

thanks
Jeff
Matthew Wight, modified 13 Years ago at 9/18/10 2:07 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/18/10 2:04 AM

I am interested in neigong/nei kung. Could you tell us which school you are in and if it is open to the public.
I have some experience with longmen pai, and am looking for an indonesian student of mo pai.

You are also welcome on my forum www.neigongforum.com registration is free, although not many people ever post there.
thumbnail
S Pro, modified 13 Years ago at 9/27/10 10:44 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/27/10 10:44 AM

Hi Scott,

I am wondering these days to add a physical component to my meditation practice. Maybe that´s something for me?
Would be great if you´d share your ideas and explain some benefits (I just looked Nei Kung up on wikipedia).

Take care
Sven
Matthew Wight, modified 13 Years ago at 9/28/10 6:55 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/28/10 6:55 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAAB0dbc3Es

this is neigong master john chang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKuXuDCPfds

this is his first western student
Scott Newhall, modified 13 Years ago at 10/13/10 10:52 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 10/13/10 10:52 AM

My apologies for being out of the loop for quite some time.
The thrust of nei kung training is zhan zhuang, a form of standing meditition that is at the heart of virtually every Chinese health and internal martial art practice. With a very simple and easy to learn practice of static postures, breathing, and dynamic movements, some remarkable changes take place. Static postures that contract muscles for periods of 20-45 minutes give the skeletal system a chance to loosen up and allow the "meridians" to open. Deep abdominal breathing oxygenates the bloodstream, and facilitates a switch from the "fight or flight" sympathetic nervous system to the "rest and digest" parasympathetic nervous system. The hormonal blood chemistry begins to change and with sustained practice, accumulated stress begins to wither. At some point, deep healing takes place and the immune system shoots through the roof.

"Chi," or what we in the west call bioelectromagnetism, soon becomes palpable and comes in waves of energy that ripple across the nervous system. (The discussion about how the nervous system correlates with classic meridians is an ongoing one.) This is what one teacher calls the intermediate phase, where a practitioner can consciously manipulate the energy in specific directions. This is the limit of my practice at the three-year point.

I asked a chi kung instructor who also happens to be an accomplished martial artist as well as a Vipassana instructor if I was missing out on anything by not following a formal Vipassana practice and limiting myself to a strict nei kung practice followed by 30-45 minutes of energy flow, a coordinated and methodical practice of "dissolving" the energy gates of the body from the crown of the head to the tips of the feet. He affirmed that I am getting an extraordinary benefit of both the energy work and mindfulness training at the same time, as it does call for focused internal awareness.

I should credit Dan Reid for his explanation of the physiology of chi kung in "The Complete Book of Chinese Health and Healing." "The Book of Nei Kung" by C.K. Chu is the text on Nei kung practice. "Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body" by Bruce Frantzis is a classic on the practice of dissolving stress by using nei kung to manipulate energy.

Regards,
Scott
Christoffer S, modified 13 Years ago at 10/21/10 4:56 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 10/21/10 4:56 AM

Scott, how long were you standing per session?

I am wondering how much effort you have to put in to get to where you are now.

I did standing for one year about 30-40 min per day.
Scott Newhall, modified 13 Years ago at 10/21/10 5:15 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 10/21/10 5:15 PM

I stand in the wuji stance for 15 minutes in the beginning, which can actually get the waves coming, and then switch to Embrace Horse for 30 minutes. Since I have a bit of osteroarthritis in my shoulder, I do what I can. What has really made a huge difference in the intensity of my waves are 2-3 sessions per day, which I can do thanks to our wonderful economic downturn. Nei Kung routine, 90 minutes, followed by a 45 minute meditation session, and then two more med sessions, late afternoon before dinner, and preceding bedtime.

I've read of extraordinarily fast timelines promised by some authors, such as a few months of consistent practice, but they are talking about 2-3 hours a day. I am roughly at the 3 year point, and just this last monday I experienced deep strong pounding in both palms, followed by what the Kunlun nei kung practitioners call "magnetism". I felt like a strong electromagnet was gently stretching the iron in my blood in one direction, and then another. It was a profoundly blissed out state and the two milestones are consistent with good progress. I hope that doesn't sound boastful; if anything I am profoundly grateful that I finally summoned the discipline to follow through with this practice after screwing around for the bulk of 50 years.

I would also credit my progress with the fact that I was a personal trainer in LA and had the chance to workout all day long and practice yoga and deep relaxation. One must be strong enough to feel their body, but relaxed enough to feel the energy.

Breadcrumb