Actualist Music?

thumbnail
Daniel Johnson, modified 13 Years ago at 9/10/10 3:12 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/10/10 3:12 PM

Actualist Music?

I've been listening to music while contemplating this actualism thing, but keep finding that most of the songs I have are so completely wrapped up in the so-called Human Condition, either totally narcissistic, or else all about the journey of emotions (as Bruno has pointed out in other posts). Steph mentioned listening to electronic music, which is kinda fun at times, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any songs that describe the PCE, or anything actualist.

The first thing that came to mind was "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong, but it seems to mix both actualism with romance, and imagination ("for me and you"... "blessed day... sacred night"... "really saying I love you"...). Otherwise, it seems like a totally awesome PCE song.

I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night

The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people going by
I see friends shaking hands saying how do you do
They're really saying I love you.

I hear babies crying, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll never know
And I think to myself what a wonderful world
Yes I think to myself what a wonderful world.

In fact, I think this is a good example of what my memories of possible "PCE"s look like from my past. I don't remember much having had any PCE... but I can remember a lot of emotional content about moments in my life which must have been PCEs. But, I can see now that after the event I interpreted them with things like "love" and "blessed". To think... maybe Louis Armstrong could've found an actual freedom if he had just kept going with it.

Any other music suggestions?
Craig N, modified 13 Years ago at 9/10/10 8:08 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/10/10 8:08 PM

RE: Actualist Music?

Daniel Johnson:
I've been listening to music while contemplating this actualism thing, but keep finding that most of the songs I have are so completely wrapped up in the so-called Human Condition, either totally narcissistic, or else all about the journey of emotions (as Bruno has pointed out in other posts). Steph mentioned listening to electronic music, which is kinda fun at times, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any songs that describe the PCE, or anything actualist.

<snip>

To think... maybe Louis Armstrong could've found an actual freedom if he had just kept going with it.

Any other music suggestions?

Hi Daniel

This is a topic I'm very interested in.

I have devoted thousands of hours to collecting music and many thousands more to listening to music, and one of the things I'm looking forward to most when I reach actual freedom is to go back and listen to my cherished music collection and see if there is an aspect of my enjoyment of music that is not affective. I hope so. But I am prepared for a total loss of interest in music - and going long stints without listening to music has helped me realise I can live without it, and that it doesn't necessarily make my life better (which I used to firmly believe).

Over the years I have stopped listening to music altogether during the periods I've been committed to practicing actualism, because I have always found that music plays directly on the heart strings.

It seems to me that the desire to listen to music is part and parcel of the habit (or addiction?) to "the ride" of life, it's like a rollercoaster with its ups and downs - you can't have ups without downs, and vice versa. I liken the PCE to getting off the ride.

I find that even electronic music stirs up something in me, a feeling of my life being awesome and enjoying things to the max, a steady thumping beat and a tune induces an affective feeling of nothing in particular... just a felt sense of pressure that's added to my life. It's a lot more subtle than the overt feelings of longing or sadness or aggression that other types of music induce.

I have managed to experience PCEs while music was playing in the background, but never (that I recall) while actively listening to music. I believe that actively listening to music engages the affective feelings/center/energy and prevents a PCE from occurring. If there is a type of music - or a way of listening to music - that can allow a PCE to happen, I have not stumbled upon it; it may exist, but it's perhaps as difficult to find and recognise as the PCE is in the first place.

Louis Armstrong's What a Wonderful World seems deeply affective to me. It's the type of music you put wedding photos to. Each verse starts with lyrics pointing to aspects of the physical world that are prominent in a PCE, but immediately devolve into affective commentary afterwards. Eg:

"I see trees of green, red roses too" great
"I see them bloom for me and you" personalising it is a mistake - they're not blooming for us
"And I think to myself what a wonderful world."

"I see skies of blue and clouds of white" yup
"The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night" Blessedness and sacredness have no place in the PCE...

"The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky" yeppers
"Are also on the faces of people going by" ok
"I see friends shaking hands saying how do you do" ok
"They're really saying I love you." Uhh no they're not, that's Louis projecting his love onto his friends...

"I hear babies crying, I watch them grow" that happens
"They'll learn much more than I'll never know" Letting his imagination run wild...
"And I think to myself what a wonderful world"
"Yes I think to myself what a wonderful world."

Craig
Trent , modified 13 Years ago at 9/10/10 9:34 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/10/10 9:34 PM

Hi,

Daniel Johnson:

Below is a variety of music that may be close to what you're looking for (not that they are "actualist"). Some have lyrics that are interesting depending on how you read into them, some feature exquisitely complex melodies, some are composed of sounds that will practically force one to acknowledge the universes' magical perfection, and there are other fine qualities as well. I think all of these feature a few of those, and perhaps a couple feature all of them:

"The mundane and the magic" - Dark Tranquility: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT86_ShMKHU
"This is war" - 30 Seconds to Mars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMAVLXk9QWA
"Discover me like emptiness" - In Flames: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chnLsxBrn5s

"This moment" - Nic Chagall: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gM0zffY1KE
"Metanoia" - The Blizzard & Omnia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7r3Sp9XsIc
"Ramsterdam" - Ram: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qT2mzHMOv4

Craig:
I have managed to experience PCEs while music was playing in the background, but never (that I recall) while actively listening to music. I believe that actively listening to music engages the affective feelings/center/energy and prevents a PCE from occurring. If there is a type of music - or a way of listening to music - that can allow a PCE to happen, I have not stumbled upon it; it may exist, but it's perhaps as difficult to find and recognise as the PCE is in the first place.

I find that to enjoy music when it is my primary focus, I must wear headphones (and particularly high quality headphones at that). Maybe something to consider.

Here are some things you might give a try, or which might aid you in enabling a PCE: try to sense every single sound sensation, rather than being something listening to those sound sensations. Ignore the sense of beauty in favor of the perfect wholeness of experience itself...be so busy listening that you cannot possibly have room for anything else. Try hearing every single instrument at once. Try to follow the background sounds as well as the foreground sounds. Try to hear the music as it reverberates in your ear. Try to hear the sound as it is (with no distortions). Act as though you are attempting to hear into a brand new, interesting world that you've never experienced, to hear sounds you've never heard before. Get so lost in the sound that you find that you can't not be the music as it happens. What will come next? Really? That's what it means to hear?!

Trent
Alex Kyosti, modified 13 Years ago at 9/10/10 10:21 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/10/10 10:21 PM

Trent H.:

Here are some things you might give a try, or which might aid you in enabling a PCE: try to sense every single sound sensation, rather than being something listening to those sound sensations. Ignore the sense of beauty in favor of the perfect wholeness of experience itself...be so busy listening that you cannot possibly have room for anything else. Try hearing every single instrument at once. Try to follow the background sounds as well as the foreground sounds. Try to hear the music as it reverberates in your ear. Try to hear the sound as it is (with no distortions). Act as though you are attempting to hear into a brand new, interesting world that you've never experienced, to hear sounds you've never heard before. Get so lost in the sound that you find that you can't not be the music as it happens. What will come next? Really? That's what it means to hear?!

Here's one I like to listen to that way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXAaDqPl7oY

Alex
thumbnail
Christian Ballhaus, modified 13 Years ago at 9/11/10 4:01 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/11/10 4:01 AM

Interesting Thread. Im a musician myself and I must say after all it doesnt made to much differences in my musical taste and preferences after or before becoming actually free. Its the same which Richard reported about his perception of Art after he became actually free. Its still possible to see which is a well crafted tune and which is not. I listened a lot to electronic music before and i still do. What lost its grip totally is melancholic, sorrowful music, its like you sit there listening and you just couldnt get anything out of the sorrowful vibes. They cant reach you. Its a little bit like watching a Horror Movie now, its slightly Kafkaesk and funny cause at the points where fear should get the audience just nothing reaches you, fear just doesnt arise. Real fun Moment. On the other Hand in my Dharma days i remember my taste really changed, i listened to sorrowful, melancholic music beeing drunk with passionate and loving feelings. In Af its much more back to normal.

For the method of Actualism I would advise to take walks or listen to live music rather than listening to music on speakers. If you do so Trents tips are great. So focus on layers and texture, also rhythmn and details, try to let your body respond on its own which works great with electronic music.

Some tips :

Lfo - Lfo LP
Isolee - Rest LP
Ricardo Villalobos - Au Harem Darchimede LP
SHed - Traveller EP
Photek - Hidden Camera EP
Martin Potter, modified 13 Years ago at 9/11/10 6:57 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/11/10 6:57 AM

Trent H.:

Trent

I've been doing something like this over the last week, I remember Tarin saying how sounds can be heard right at the ear as opposed to over there somewhere. I find when I listen to the resonance of sounds there is no distance - I'm not listening to a sound over there from over here, the sound loses its location. I find everything you look at or listen to has a balance of looking, a kind of resonance to it that engenders a sense of wholeness to experience.

One thing I've noticed is that if i hit the sweet spot of the sounds right where it reverberates it can cause a slightly wide-eyed startled feeling and a ripple of energy upwards, it sort of feels like I'm leaving the ground - the kind of thrill when you hold on on a rollercoaster.

- Martin
Martin Potter, modified 13 Years ago at 9/11/10 3:32 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/11/10 3:32 PM

I saw this today and it made me smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EYAUazLI9k

- Martin
ManZ A, modified 13 Years ago at 9/11/10 3:38 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/11/10 3:38 PM

I absolutely love listening to "The Mundane and the Magic". You had mentioned or suggested it on another thread. Anyways, I always got caught up in all the "moods" that come with it, but I will try your method. Interesting thread and thanks!
Craig N, modified 13 Years ago at 9/12/10 4:02 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/12/10 4:01 AM

Trent H.:
I find that to enjoy music when it is my primary focus, I must wear headphones (and particularly high quality headphones at that). Maybe something to consider.

Trent

Hi Trent

Thanks for those pointers, I am looking forward to giving them a go properly but at first glance it does ring true - things I've noticed occasionally but not been able to identify clearly.

Craig
Craig N, modified 13 Years ago at 9/12/10 4:12 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/12/10 4:12 AM

Christian Ballhaus:
Interesting Thread. Im a musician myself and I must say after all it doesnt made to much differences in my musical taste and preferences after or before becoming actually free. Its the same which Richard reported about his perception of Art after he became actually free. Its still possible to see which is a well crafted tune and which is not. I listened a lot to electronic music before and i still do. What lost its grip totally is melancholic, sorrowful music, its like you sit there listening and you just couldnt get anything out of the sorrowful vibes. They cant reach you. Its a little bit like watching a Horror Movie now, its slightly Kafkaesk and funny cause at the points where fear should get the audience just nothing reaches you, fear just doesnt arise. Real fun Moment. On the other Hand in my Dharma days i remember my taste really changed, i listened to sorrowful, melancholic music beeing drunk with passionate and loving feelings. In Af its much more back to normal.

For the method of Actualism I would advise to take walks or listen to live music rather than listening to music on speakers. If you do so Trents tips are great. So focus on layers and texture, also rhythmn and details, try to let your body respond on its own which works great with electronic music.

Some tips :

Lfo - Lfo LP
Isolee - Rest LP
Ricardo Villalobos - Au Harem Darchimede LP
SHed - Traveller EP
Photek - Hidden Camera EP

Hi Christian

Welcome to the DhO, as this appears to be your first post, it's great to have you posting here!

Thanks for the personal report and pointers, it's very interesting and pleasing to hear that AF didn't make much difference to your musical taste and preferences. Music without sorrow and horror movies without fear sounds surreal but undoubtedly a welcome change.

Craig
thumbnail
Seraphina Wise, modified 13 Years ago at 9/13/10 12:34 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/13/10 12:34 PM

This doesn't really answer Daniel's core question, but I came across a lyric that actualists might like:

"Awful sweet to be a little butterfly,
Just winging over things and nothing deep inside.
Nothing going, going wild in you you know.
You're slowing by the riverside or floating high and blue.

Or maybe cool to be a little summer wind,
Like once through everything and then away again.
With the taste of dust in your mouth all day but no need to know
Like sadness you just sail away.

'Cause you know, I don't do sadness
Not even a little bit
Just don't need it in my life
Don't want any part of it
I don't do sadness
Hey I've done my time looking back on it all
Man it blows my mind
I don't do sadness, so been there.
Don't do sadness, just don't care."

This is from the musical Spring Awakening; the song is "Don't Do Sadness/Blue Wind." The second part of the song is quite emotive. Though the gentleman in the first part of the song doth protest too much, so that doesn't quite fit...

The other tactic is to choose lyrics that couldn't be more meaningless:

"Wake up in the morning feeling like P Diddy
(Hey, what up girl?)
Grab my glasses, I'm out the door, I'm gonna hit this city
(Lets go)
Before I leave, brush my teeth with a bottle of Jack
'Cause when I leave for the night, I ain't coming back

I'm talking pedicure on our toes, toes
Trying on all our clothes, clothes
Boys blowing up our phones, phones
Drop-topping, playing our favorite CDs
Pulling up to the parties
Trying to get a little bit tipsy

Don't stop, make it pop
DJ, blow my speakers up
Tonight, I'mma fight
'Til we see the sunlight
Tick tock on the clock
But the party don't stop, no

Don't stop, make it pop
DJ, blow my speakers up
Tonight, I'mma fight
'Til we see the sunlight
Tick tock, on the clock

Ain't got a care in world, but got plenty of beer
Ain't got no money in my pocket, but I'm already here
And now, the dudes are lining up cause they hear we got swagger
But we kick em to the curb unless they look like Mick Jagger

I'm talking about everybody getting crunk, crunk
Boys tryin' to touch my junk, junk
Gonna smack him if he getting too drunk, drunk

Now, now, we go until they kick us out, out
Or the police shut us down, down
Police shut us down, down
Po-po shut us

Don't stop, make it pop
DJ, blow my speakers up
Tonight, I'mma fight
'Til we see the sunlight
Tick tock on the clock

Don't stop, make it pop
DJ, blow my speakers up
Tonight, I'mma fight
'Til we see the sunlight
Tick tock on the clock
But the party don't stop, no"

Kesha's "Tik Tok" is mindless enough to perhaps instantly combust some of the finer emotions. If this would make you feel anything, it might be that you'll never listen to music again, so it might be productive for an actualist in that sense. :-)

s.

(The second part, should it be at all unclear, is offered in jest. Sort of.)
thumbnail
Steph S, modified 13 Years ago at 9/14/10 10:26 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/14/10 10:26 PM

Bjork - Undo (from the Vespertine album) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hqraEymz94

It's not meant to be a strife
It's not meant to be a struggle uphill
Oh I

Oh I

You're trying too hard
Surrender
Give yourself in
You're trying too hard
You're trying too hard, ah

Sweetly
To enjoy
It's not meant to be a stuggle uphill
Oh I

It's warmer now
Lean into it
Unfold
Unfold in a generous way
Surrender

It's not meant to be a srife (surrender)
It's not meant (undo) to be a struggle uphill (undo)

I'm praying
To be
In a generous mode
The kindness kind
The kindness kind
To share
Me
To share me

Undo
Undo
If you're bleeding
Undo
And if you're sweating
Undo
If you're crying, darling
Undo

Undo
Oh I
Unravel
thumbnail
Christian Ballhaus, modified 13 Years ago at 9/15/10 8:41 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/15/10 8:41 AM

One for the ladies :

Actualist Song

Madonna Material Girl ;-))

Some boys kiss me, some boys hug me
I think they’re o.k.
If they don’t give me proper credit
I just walk away

They can beg and they can plead
But they can’t see the light, that’s right
’cause the boy with the cold hard cash
Is always mister right, ’cause we are

Chorus:

Living in a material world
And I am a material girl
You know that we are living in a material world
And I am a material girl

end of chorus

Some boys romance, some boys slow dance
That’s all right with me
If they can’t raise my interest then I
Have to let them be

Some boys try and some boys lie but
I don’t let them play, no way
Only boys who save their pennies
Make my rainy day, ’cause we are

(chorus)

Living in a material world [material]
(repeat)

Boys may come and boys may go
And that’s all right you see
Experience has made me rich
And now they’re after me, ’cause everybody’s

(chorus)

A material, a material, a material, a material world,

Living in a material world [material]
(repeat and fade)
thumbnail
Christian Ballhaus, modified 13 Years ago at 9/18/10 5:41 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/18/10 5:41 AM

"Nina Simone-Ain't Got No, I Got Life"

Top Notch selection, Nina Simones voice is definately actual !
Luciano de Noeme Imoto, modified 13 Years ago at 9/20/10 8:00 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/20/10 7:50 AM

Hi Daniel,

some pages in the AFT website had background songs - Progressive Rock and Pop music from the Seventies and Eighties - I guess.
In my case/preference, I like Moby´s songs, Mike Oldfield, Leonard Cohen, Band of Horses (Funeral) and Clint Mansell among others similars to them (Soul music are great too).
A good drill to improve apperception while listening any song/sound - even that "emotionals" - is ask to yourself "How Am I Experiencing This Moment Of Being Alive?".

Luciano
thumbnail
Daniel Johnson, modified 13 Years ago at 9/30/10 5:59 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/30/10 5:59 PM

Thanks for all the great suggestions and discussion. I love it all, (including the sorta joke songs). I'm finding that my way of listenting to music (as well as watching video) is changing naturally from a much more emotional "bonding" with the song or story or whatever and much more to an actual experience of the event itself. It's a wonderful process.

Luciano - you said "some pages in the AFT website had background songs"... did they change it? Too bad, I would've liked to hear that. Or are there any pages still up like this?
thumbnail
Daniel Johnson, modified 13 Years ago at 10/7/10 6:37 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 10/7/10 6:37 PM

Just By Myself - Greg Brown

I'll walk around some ancient city,
write in my notebook, and drink my tea.
Don't have to make love, 'cause love made me,
and I'll be happy just by myself.
Hey-ay-ay-ay-ay.

I'll make my supper 'bout ten oclock,
and watch the moon rise above my block,
and go to bed in just my socks,
and I'll be happy
just by myself.
Hey-ay-ay-ay-ay.

And I'll go fishin'--
get with the flow.
I know a river in Idaho.
I'll catch a big trout and let him go,
and I'll be happy
just by myself.
Hey-ay-ay-ay-ay.

Love never made a--
a fool of me.
I always was one
as you could see.
I can't be good, so I'll be free.
Ummm, and I'll be happy
just by myself.
Hey-ay-ay-ay-ay.

I'll fold the laundry,
just like I please.
And put the sheets on,
just like I please.
And in my dreams,
find sweet release.
Ummm, and I'll be happy
just by myself.
Hey-ay-ay-ay-ay.
Happy, oh-oh-oh.
Happy, hey-ay-ay-ay-ay.

(The live version has some funextra verses too)
Luciano de Noeme Imoto, modified 13 Years ago at 10/15/10 9:02 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 10/15/10 9:02 AM

Hi Dan,

excuse my delay emoticon
The AFT website was revamped this year and still being changed to facilitate information and lecture (see the Java implementations of the micro windows like pop-up into the pages and texts).
However, the Directors did not preserve the instrumental songs in the correspondence pages...
But if you found any page with any song or nature sound like australian birds there, favor send to me the link.
Regards,
Luciano
Patricia M, modified 13 Years ago at 12/21/10 5:50 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/21/10 5:48 PM

Daniel Johnson:
(...)Steph mentioned listening to electronic music, which is kinda fun at times(...)

Christian Ballhaus:
(...)So focus on layers and texture, also rhythmn and details, try to let your body respond on its own which works great with electronic music.(...)

A good friend of mine created his "box of life" - five DJ mixes. Absolutely electronic, absolutely Dubstep (including some quotes like from Martin Luther King).

Since "to rise" (around min. 27-31) induced several EEs during the last days and weeks of listening, I feel the urge to share "to rise - to love - to struggle - to dance - to die": http://www.digitalgewitter.de/?page_id=1036 (free dl and all copyrights respected, of course.)

Drifting and smiling,
Patricia
Serif Panfried, modified 13 Years ago at 12/22/10 12:50 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/22/10 12:50 AM

Its a bit corny - but - raindrops keep fallin on my head. I interpret the "raindrops" as thoughts and feelings.
Martin Potter, modified 13 Years ago at 12/22/10 12:04 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 12/22/10 12:04 PM

Robert Miles - Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwUbzfc552k&feature=related
, modified 12 Years ago at 4/16/11 9:50 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 4/16/11 9:50 PM

Elis Regina

Águas de Março
É pau, é pedra,
é o fim do caminho
É um resto de toco,
é um pouco sozinho
É um caco de vidro,
é a vida, é o sol
É a noite, é a morte,
é um laço, é o anzol
É peroba do campo,
é o nó da madeira 
Caingá, candeia,
é o Matita Pereira
É madeira de vento,
tombo da ribanceira
É o mistério profundo,
é o queira ou não queira
É o vento ventando,
é o fim da ladeira 
É a viga, é o vão,
festa da cumeeira
É a chuva chovendo,
é conversa ribeira 
Das águas de março,
é o fim da canseira
É o pé, é o chão,
é a marcha estradeira
Passarinho na mão,
pedra de atiradeira
É uma ave no céu,
é uma ave no chão 
É um regato, é uma fonte,
é um pedaço de pão
É o fundo do poço,
é o fim do caminho 
No rosto o desgosto,
é um pouco sozinho
É um estrepe, é um prego,
é uma conta, é um conto 
É uma ponta, é um ponto,
é um pingo pingando
É um peixe, é um gesto,
é uma prata brilhando 
É a luz da manhã,
é o tijolo chegando
É a lenha, é o dia,
é o fim da picada 
É a garrafa de cana,
o estilhaço na estrada
É o projeto da casa,
é o corpo na cama 
É o carro enguiçado,
é a lama, é a lama
É um passo, é uma ponte,
é um sapo, é uma rã 
É um resto de mato,
na luz da manhã
São as águas de março 
fechando o verão 
É a promessa de vida
no teu coração
É uma cobra, é um pau,
é João, é José 
É um espinho na mão,
é um corte no pé
É um passo, é uma ponte,
é um sapo, é uma rã 
É um belo horizonte,
é uma febre terçã
São as águas de março 
fechando o verão 
É a promessa de vida 
no teu coração

Waters of March
A stick, a stone,
It's the end of the road,
It's the rest of a stump,
It's a little alone
It's a sliver of glass,
It is life, it's the sun,
It is night, it is death,
It's a trap, it's a gun
The oak when it blooms,
A fox in the brush,
A knot in the wood,
The song of a thrush
The wood of the wind,
A cliff, a fall,
A scratch, a lump,
It is nothing at all
It's the wind blowing free,
It's the end of the slope,
It's a beam, it's a void,
It's a hunch, it's a hope
And the river bank talks
of the waters of March,
It's the end of the strain,
The joy in your heart
The foot, the ground,
The flesh and the bone,
The beat of the road,
A slingshot's stone
A fish, a flash,
A silvery glow,
A fight, a bet,
The range of a bow
The bed of the well,
The end of the line,
The dismay in the face,
It's a loss, it's a find
A spear, a spike,
A point, a nail,
A drip, a drop,
The end of the tale
A truckload of bricks
in the soft morning light,
The shot of a gun
in the dead of the night
A mile, a must,
A thrust, a bump,
It's a girl, it's a rhyme,
It's a cold, it's the mumps
The plan of the house,
The body in bed,
And the car that got stuck,
It's the mud, it's the mud
Afloat, adrift,
A flight, a wing,
A hawk, a quail,
The promise of spring
And the riverbank talks
of the waters of March,
It's the promise of life
It's the joy in your heart
A stick, a stone,
It's the end of the road
It's the rest of a stump,
It's a little alone
A snake, a stick,
It is John, it is Joe,
It's a thorn in your hand
and a cut in your toe
A point, a grain,
A bee, a bite,
A blink, a buzzard,
A sudden stroke of night
A pin, a needle,
A sting, a pain,
A snail, a riddle,
A wasp, a stain
A pass in the mountains,
A horse and a mule,
In the distance the shelves
rode three shadows of blue
And the riverbank talks
of the waters of March,
It's the promise of life
in your heart, in your heart
A stick, a stone,
The end of the road,
The rest of a stump,
A lonesome road
A sliver of glass,
A life, the sun,
A knife, a death,
The end of the run
And the riverbank talks
of the waters of March,
It's the end of all strain,
It's the joy in your heart.
ManZ A, modified 12 Years ago at 4/16/11 11:41 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 4/16/11 11:41 PM

Well here's something I do. When listening to music I'm always tossed and turned in an affective tempest as each song sets a certain "mood" or "atmosphere" (the lyrics don't matter, there's just something about the arrangement of sounds itself). I try to listen to music which creates a sort of felicitous mood. Music of this sort makes it easier to be attentive and sensuous (for me anyway). It has worked to get to short PCE's or EE's sometimes. Or I may just use it as a jump start to feeling felicitous. The music may depend on the person.
thumbnail
Christian Ballhaus, modified 12 Years ago at 4/17/11 2:16 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 4/17/11 2:16 AM

As Actual as it gets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62C0MJ1hnwM
thumbnail
Rin Maryu, modified 12 Years ago at 5/1/11 3:07 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/1/11 3:07 PM

Another viewpoint on things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srQ3n_pI2hQ
thumbnail
Jonathan M Fischer, modified 12 Years ago at 5/18/11 11:19 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/18/11 11:19 PM

It can't get any better than this:
Symphony of Science

The Poetry Of Reality
Many more of them here:
http://symphonyofscience.com

The remixes are quite good also. They are all available to download for free on the site.

This is a side project by the same artist that is just music:

http://www.colorpulsemusic.com/
thumbnail
Steph S, modified 12 Years ago at 5/19/11 9:51 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 5/19/11 9:51 PM

thumbnail
Martin M, modified 12 Years ago at 8/16/11 8:25 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 8/16/11 8:25 PM

Patricia M.:

A good friend of mine created his "box of life" - five DJ mixes. Absolutely electronic, absolutely Dubstep (including some quotes like from Martin Luther King).

Since "to rise" (around min. 27-31) induced several EEs during the last days and weeks of listening, I feel the urge to share "to rise - to love - to struggle - to dance - to die": http://www.digitalgewitter.de/?page_id=1036 (free dl and all copyrights respected, of course.)

Drifting and smiling,
Patricia

Never really intentionally listened to Electro before, but this pretty much converted me. emoticon

Some more which are pretty awesome:

deadmau5 - some chords
deadmau5 - a city in florida

Headphones advised.