"Enlightenment, the Self, and the Brain." Todd Murphy

thumbnail
Gozen M L, modified 14 Years ago at 7/3/09 11:54 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 7/3/09 11:54 AM

"Enlightenment, the Self, and the Brain." Todd Murphy

Forum: Dharma Overground Discussion Forum

I found this neuroscientist's explanations and his knowledge of Buddhism to be fascinating and provocative. Many of us know the states of consciousness he describes. Few of us know which brain structures are active in those states.

"Enlightenment, the Self, and the Brain." Todd Murphy. video lecture (89 minutes). (Sept. 11th, 2008).
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5474604744218568426

Technologies for inducing spiritual states:
"Spirituality & The Brain: Neurotheology, Magnetic Brain Stimulation, Deja Vu, Death, God, Sex, Love, and more." Todd Murphy.
http://www.shaktitechnology.com/index.htm

Please watch, read and then share your thoughts.

- Gozen
thumbnail
Tina Hamilton, modified 14 Years ago at 7/3/09 3:00 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 7/3/09 3:00 PM

RE: "Enlightenment, the Self, and the Brain." Todd Murphy

Thank you for the link to the video... definitely worth watching!
I've long held an interest in neuroscience, as well as come from a psychology/mental health educational background, so terminology and etc was familiar. What I found to be exceptional was Todd Murphy's clear explanation relating the brain functionality and the effects from long term meditation. This video was helpful to gain more understanding of the physio alterations to the brain in relationship to the stages of Enlightenment.

Also, this information seems relevant to a few current topics on the DhO boards. emoticon
Mike L, modified 14 Years ago at 7/4/09 7:24 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 7/4/09 7:24 AM

Brilliant and relevant. Well worth watching.
thumbnail
Crinia Signifera, modified 14 Years ago at 7/4/09 11:57 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 7/4/09 11:57 PM

The lecture provided an explanation for the "dark night" phase often discussed on this forum. Worth considering Todds hypothesis on why fear occurs during the enlightenment process.
thumbnail
Chris Marti, modified 14 Years ago at 7/5/09 5:06 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 7/5/09 5:06 AM

Hi, folks!

In the spirit of this topic I recommend a couple of books by another neuroscientist, Dr. James Austin. His first book is called "Zen and the Brain" and it's a detailed investigation of the organic and physiological processes that might underlie Austin's own Zen practice. He has since written a follow-up book called "Zen-Brain Reflections." Both books are very good at mapping Buddhist practices and their results to what might be going on in the brain itself.
thumbnail
Tina Hamilton, modified 14 Years ago at 7/5/09 9:03 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 7/5/09 9:03 AM

Thank you, Chris - for these recommendations. I'll definitely add them to my growing book "wish list."

I'd also like to add an active and current website that focuses on establishing a mutually respectful working collaboration and research partnerships between modern science and Buddhism – The Mind and Life Institute: http://www.mindandlife.org/
thumbnail
Dana Nourie, modified 14 Years ago at 1/2/10 1:56 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 1/2/10 1:56 AM

Wow, that video was great! I've wondered a lot about brain functionality and experience in meditation and enlightenment. He did a great job of explaining the many experiences on the path. In the end, it seem meditation is the tool to enlightenment, but the Buddha also saw the need for morality and ethical training as well.

It also makes me realize how much stuff many traditions have added a lot of unnecessary cultural and religious stuff.

So, I wonder, what is "spiritual" about retraining the brain to produce bliss only? You are really just training your brain to reside in a natural state of happiness, and that doesn't mean there is really an deeper understanding of reality, or anything spiritual. It's just brain training.

Breadcrumb