to note or not to note?

thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 14 Years ago at 7/5/09 2:03 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 7/5/09 2:03 PM

to note or not to note?

Author: yadidb
Forum: Practical Dharma

I thought i'll start a discussion about this practical issue since it has been something I've been thinking of since I was introduced to the Mahasi method.

What do you find helpful? just precise awareness of observing 'everything' at once? that is - trying to include the whole mass of sensations that are body and the quick processes of the mind within this frame of awareness? or rather something similiar but with using soft notes to clearly see the manifestations?
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 14 Years ago at 7/5/09 9:49 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 7/5/09 9:49 PM

RE: to note or not to note?

When my practice was very weak and I could barely find my feet or the breath, I noted strongly so as to try to yoke my mind to the present moment and those sensations.

When my practice improved, I was able to shift to more attention to those sensations themselves, and then to letting the notes largely happen on their own.

As things got faster, the notes had to be stripped down, finally to just little mental blips that would track close behind vibrations, and finally those were too fast and then the notes got dropped in favor of bare investigation in very strong A&P territory.

When the Dark NIght set in after the A&P, I suddenly found that even with noting, staying present in Dissolution was hard, and then to stay out of the content, notes such as "Fear", "Suffering", and the like became of value, while the complex vibrations were too wide and buzzy to note except generally.

In Equanimity, I found noting didn't matter much, and that staying with larger things, like awareness and space synchronizing, or attention and phenomena, or effort and reality, were more compelling, but for including things such as "expectation" and a few broad aspects like that, noting had some limited place at times.

In Review, I found it useful in some stages, but post stream-entry it wasn't as helpful most of the time except when starting a new path from scratch, and then only briefly with rare exceptions. As one teacher said, "Now you know that C A T spells cat, and so just read."

I don't use it now except in the rarest moments, but it got me a long way, and I am very grateful for it.