what to do

zhi lin, modified 13 Years ago at 9/15/10 3:53 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/15/10 3:53 PM

what to do

I read Ajahn Brahm book on breath meditation, never really done it seriously.

I had a 10 days Vipassana retreat, not knowing what was going on really.

I'm lost, i felt many times in the past years where i had all the answers, but not anymore.

I keep hearing about how many get lost on the wrong paths, just now I listen to a podcast from Daniel Ingram where he basically ridicule Vipassana and how so many people didn't get it and wasted much of their time and effort.

So i would be tempted to just read Ingram book and follow the instructions.
In the books you still have a choice to make, either concentration or vipassana.

And the I hear of Daniel Ingram saying that Vipassana and concentration is dangerous and can mess people up. I have many bad experiences in my life, much suffering and traumatizing events. I'm afraid i mess myself up.

And then i hear about actual freedom for the first time. Which i do not understand yet.

What should i do?

Ideally i would like someone to tell me: "do this A twice a day. when you achieve this, move one to doing B twice a day.

I just want to be free from suffering, and suffering is overwhelming.

Please help?
thumbnail
Julius P0pp, modified 13 Years ago at 9/16/10 6:56 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/16/10 6:56 AM

RE: what to do

zhi lin:

Ideally i would like someone to tell me: "do this A twice a day. when you achieve this, move one to doing B twice a day.

Hm, the best I can come up with is, ask yourself "what do I want?" and write down what comes up. If you want clarity, maybe asking "what do I know?", even though you feel confused, can give you hints, and you can watch this video on enlightenment and true will http://openenlightenment.org/?p=514 as in my experience true will is essential to living a fulfilled life.
When you better know what you want, it's easier to provide you with help. till then, smile at yourself (in a mirror) 10 times daily for at least 3 seconds each time the best you can (seriously).
J Adam G, modified 13 Years ago at 9/17/10 1:47 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 9/17/10 1:47 PM

RE: what to do

In general, it's recommended that you practice both vipassana and concentration. Each one helps you develop the other, because they train and use many of the same mental functions.

Daniel provides warnings about meditation because some people aren't aware that some of the insight stages are unpleasant. He warns people about concentration for two reasons. The first is that some people do concentration meditation and think they are becoming enlightened, but because they never do the proper techniques to move through the insight stages and attain paths, they are incorrect. The second warning is that sometimes a concentration practice will trigger insight stages, and even the dark night. If someone has no clue how to do insight practice, or how to recognize that they need to start doing it, they would be up the creek without a paddle.

Since you know both of these things, you do not need to be scared of concentration practice. In fact, concentration practice is a great thing, useful in many ways, and Daniel's warnings weren't meant to discourage anyone from doing concentration meditation. If he didn't think people should do them, he wouldn't have put the instructions in the book. He just wanted people to be aware of the flaws of concentration meditation.