5-MeO-DMT, high concentration God realms, unitary states

Mateusz, modified 5 Years ago at 2/26/19 8:07 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 2/26/19 8:07 AM

5-MeO-DMT, high concentration God realms, unitary states

Is it possible to have the same kind of ego death and experience of "God" as with 5-MeO-DMT, via meditation?

Here: https://youtu.be/WnvwL6Hbr1c?t=2251
Kenneth talks about this unitary experience. Does anybody know what the instructions are to experience it? 
Anna L, modified 5 Years ago at 2/27/19 1:05 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 2/27/19 1:04 AM

RE: 5-MeO-DMT, high concentration God realms, unitary states

In my experience, self-inquiry methods from the Advaita Vedanta derived traditions tend to lead to unity consciousness experiences. E.g. Sri Nisargadatta

There are lots of teachers interviewed on BATGAP that speak of these states and methods to achieve them. 

I have not tried 5-MeO-DMT, but in my experience the states that can be achieved with a decade of consistent and sincere meditation practice and constant self-inquiry are pretty amazing, and more importantly, the long term trait changes (and general changes to the whole experience of life and living) are priceless. These things are more subtle but long lasting.

emoticon
thumbnail
streamsurfer, modified 5 Years ago at 2/27/19 5:49 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 2/27/19 5:49 AM

Anna L:

I have not tried 5-MeO-DMT, but in my experience the states that can be achieved with a decade of consistent and sincere meditation practice and constant self-inquiry are pretty amazing, and more importantly, the long term trait changes (and general changes to the whole experience of life and living) are priceless. These things are more subtle but long lasting.

emoticon

I agree, in the long run the "ego death" and freeing of the clinging of self through meditation practice will be more rewarding than a single experience of this sort.
I don't deny the possible kickoff that psychedelics can gice you in  this direction, but also see the risk of having psycho-energetic changes that one can not handle (yet).
Mateusz, modified 5 Years ago at 2/27/19 3:26 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 2/27/19 3:26 PM

I'm already in a persistent state of no agency no doer, but the full 5-MeO-DMT experience is way beyond that. Just to be clear I'm not asking about awakening or any stage of enlightenment, but about a temporary experience of Ultimate Reality. I guess it may be something like Pure Consciousness Experience as described in TMI or even deeper practice of realizing the witness.
Anna L, modified 5 Years ago at 2/27/19 7:05 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 2/27/19 7:05 PM

I’m curious as to what it is about the 5-meo experience that makes you think that particular state is “ultimate reality”? It might be like saying the MDMA experience is “ultimate love” or “ultimate metta”. How can we really know for sure? (Not discounting the experience, I’m sure it is phenomenal - just curious).

I’ve seen the Hamilton Morris doco on 5-meo and sadly can’t say I’ve come across a meditation technique that does what the toad does! However there is a really interesting story about how Ram Dass gave a huge dose of LSD to Neem Karoli Baba and how he was not affected by it at all. So perhaps you need to find a meditation master! Sadly I’m not there yet ;) 
Anna L, modified 5 Years ago at 2/27/19 8:11 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 2/27/19 8:11 PM

I should also add that the closet thing I have experienced to a 5-meo-dmt experience and the most profound experience of my life was during a TM meditation sit about 6 years ago. All time/space dropped away and it was a “pure” experience of the present moment. I’ve never been able to re-create that experience ever again but the insights have stayed with me to this day. For many years I used to cling to trying to re-create this experience and judged all subsequent meditation experiences as being somehow “less than” that “ultimate” experience. 

Now I don’t try to re-create any experiences and just appreciate each new one for what it is and the insights it brings. I think this applies to psychedelic experiences too - while they may be more reliably induced via chemical means, each one is always different to the last and offers new insights. 

I share your curiosity regarding whether there might be an “ultimate reality”. Regarding this question, I used to be a perennialist, then I became a radical constructivist and now I occupy a position that allows for the co-existence of both of those views emoticon 
Mateusz, modified 5 Years ago at 2/28/19 3:12 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 2/28/19 3:12 AM

Anna L:
I’m curious as to what it is about the 5-meo experience that makes you think that particular state is “ultimate reality”? It might be like saying the MDMA experience is “ultimate love” or “ultimate metta”. How can we really know for sure? (Not discounting the experience, I’m sure it is phenomenal - just curious).

I'm skeptical about there being "Ultimate Reality" but if there is one, I'm betting it is the 5-MeO breakthrough. I think eventually we will be able to make sophisticated enough brain measures to determine whether or not it's a mental construct. For now, ego death on psychedelics correlate with less activity of the brain: https://www.bernardokastrup.com/2016/04/the-lsd-study-youre-being-subtly.html
Anna L, modified 5 Years ago at 2/28/19 4:11 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 2/28/19 4:11 AM

Psychedelics are fascinating and can give us so much insight into the nature of consciousness. Let’s hope the studies continue and more helpful discoveries are made. We are certainly in interesting times!
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 5 Years ago at 2/28/19 6:56 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 2/28/19 6:56 AM

If you're interested in the therapeutic and spiritual value of psychedelics I recommend reading this book:

https://michaelpollan.com/books/how-to-change-your-mind/
Anna L, modified 5 Years ago at 2/28/19 8:16 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 2/28/19 8:16 PM

Thanks Chris! I have read that one emoticon 

I’ve actually got a research degree in religion studies and my area of interest is mysticism and healing, so I’ve been very interested in the psychedelic research. 
Jyet, modified 5 Years ago at 3/1/19 11:43 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 3/1/19 11:43 AM

I've received the Toads blessing once and remember coming back with tears in my eyes from being the white light wondering what the heck we have to be in these physical bodies striving on earth for?

Curiously this was at the beginning of my new demanding career after one year in India. and now when this career is coming to an end I encountered the opportunity to dissolve with 5 meo again in Tiruvannamalai of all places. Tears in my eyes again just talking about the experience with my newly meet fellow explorer and offerer of the sacrament. But this time I chickened out and felt that more dissolving than Arunachala had already bestowed on me was not appropriate before work and worldly striving had once again taken a break. 

This truly is the God molecule - but meeting God takes the right moment. Or at least that what I told myself this time.

But enough about me the question was about meditation. I have not personally encountered anything like this divine smoke in meditation for +10 years. But I have seen Dzogchen practitioners speak of the white luminous light of consciousness. Could it be the same thing? Well exploring and comparing experiences is the only way to know I guess. Any recommendations of accessible Dzogchen teacher's anyone? 

Breadcrumb