Opinions about Actual Freedom books

Jose Moral, modified 4 Years ago at 7/15/19 10:42 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 7/15/19 10:42 AM

Opinions about Actual Freedom books

Greetings.
Recently I have been in a retreat in Malaysia practicing Open Awareness, based on the assumption (that was an Insight for me many times) that only the physical senses are in the present moment.
I was reading some articles in the actualfreedom website in the past, and now I would like to study the books:
http://actualfreedom.com.au/sundry/orderformpaypal.htm
- Do you consider that they could help me to recover powerful awareness to the physical senses (so weak for the smartphones as well)? In that case, WHICH of them? ((and if anyone has them i would thank if sharing))
- If not, any other suggestion in this direction?

THANKS A LOT

JP, modified 4 Years ago at 7/15/19 12:46 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 7/15/19 12:46 PM

RE: Opinions about Actual Freedom books

It seems like it's pretty clearly a cult group with examples of Richard abusing his position, so I'd be personally be uncomfortable with monetarily supporting them.  I haven't seen all that much that convinced me that they've got something proprietary that you can't get with a regular practice, and the testimonials about how people seem to act after attaining AF seem more creepy than inspirational to me.

I'm a little bit curious about this assumption that only the physical senses are in the present moment.  Do you just mean that you're treating thoughts as if they're a sensation arising in a physical sense door, or are you assuming that they're not in the present moment? If verbal and nonverbal thoughts/images/feelings aren't occurring in the present moment, then when are they occurring?  
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 4 Years ago at 7/15/19 1:11 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 7/15/19 1:03 PM

All the senses are experienced only in the present moment. That's not an Actual Freedom thing, it's a "how things actually work" thing.

Sight
Sound
Touch
Taste
Smell
Thoughts

emoticon
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 4 Years ago at 7/17/19 2:17 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 7/17/19 2:17 PM

There are 2 books for sale on the AF website, both around $15 USD.  One is Peter's Journal & the other is Richard's Journal.  I've found them both entertaining & helpful.  I would start with Richard's journal first.  I don't have much to say, beyond that.  Actualism is obviously something very specific & niche & also something that has caused a lot of debate on DhO.
Jose Moral, modified 4 Years ago at 7/19/19 3:07 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 7/19/19 3:07 AM

Thanks.
In relation to what I said about the physical senses, Bhante explains his approach better than I could in this interesting conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-AiIZLfbbk&t=2575s

For me it is very interesting this approach (even it is possible to access Jhana with eyes open)

Breadcrumb