Hello & Thank You

thumbnail
Alexander, modified 4 Years ago at 9/13/19 12:18 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/13/19 12:18 PM

Hello & Thank You

I've been lurking here for a couple of months while digesting MCTB2.  First, I am grateful to Daniel for having the courage to write the book and spur the controversies that have erupted from it and its predecessor.  Wow! I had no idea all this was going on.  I've been practicing over 15 years in various traditions, but mostly Zen and Tibetan Vajrayana, but apparently in the dark.

Although I was aware of the Secular Buddhist movement, I was unaware of the Pragmatic movement in all its flavors, but stumbled into Daniel's book somewhere online (perhaps mentioned in Podcast).  What an eyeopener!  The Models sections were very helpful.  I've had my reservations about many of the facets of traditional Buddhism, especially the psychological perfection models, past and future lives, etc., but haven't thought about it to the depth that Daniel dives.  I don't agree with all his conclusions, but it's great food for contemplation and self inquiry.  The maps are also helpful, especially the discussion of A&P and dark night which explain some of the confusing states I've encountered on my journey so far.  Another benefit is all the links and references in the book which have in turn led me to other interesting viewpoints.

Finally, thank you to all the contributors to this site (except the few trolls of course) for your descriptions of your practice, links to podcasts and other info, incisive discussions, and occasional humor.  It's wonderful to see practice and inquiry vs dogma and unquestioning belief.  I'm looking forward to posting about my practice in the future and being a part of this diverse group.

Metta to all

thumbnail
Laurel Carrington, modified 4 Years ago at 9/13/19 12:35 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/13/19 12:35 PM

RE: Hello & Thank You

Welcome to you, William! I discovered Daniel’s book and this website almost 9 years ago, and it has made a huge difference in my life. We look forward to hearing more about your practice. 
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 4 Years ago at 9/13/19 12:36 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/13/19 12:36 PM

Welcome, and we're really glad to have you here. Please post more!
thumbnail
Shaun Steelgrave, modified 4 Years ago at 9/13/19 2:48 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/13/19 2:48 PM

i’m fighting hard to not troll this post.

#progress
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 9/13/19 2:54 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/13/19 2:54 PM

I’m looking forward to reading about your practice. I hope you will like it here.
thumbnail
Travis McKinstry, modified 4 Years ago at 9/13/19 7:03 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/13/19 7:03 PM

Thank you for being here. emoticon

Breadcrumb