Some guidance needed if possible!

jurica kalcina, modified 4 Years ago at 2/6/20 2:17 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 2/6/20 2:17 AM

Some guidance needed if possible!

Hi guys I’m wondering if the online community can give me a little insight and help. I’ve emailed Daniel too but I wasn’t really specific with the details and I don’t want to bother him if you guys are here, soooo. My practice consists of choiceless awareness noting so to clarify I’d simply bounce from sensation to sensation without any intention. I have had no concentration practice at this point. I’d sit for 45 min everyday and after a few months my first experience arose. So I’d note note note note note then I’d stop and I’m taken over by these pleasurable sensations throughout the body. I feel very light, my head and body straighten up naturally and I’m at immense peace, tranquility and happiness. My body is taken over by this buzzing, a lot of fine vibrations all over but attention shifts to 3rd eye area just naturally without any intention, in fact it’s as if I’m forced there. I also experienced a feeling of bubbles going up my back but this was on the one occasion.Then this all just utterly vanishes and I’m left with this what feels like a plain experience. It’s still nice and peaceful but there is a noticeable shift from the buzziness to absence of buzziness and instead there’s a spaceyness. I believe the shaking and head bobbing stop too. So this experience happened on my own relatively easily while noting & then happened effortlessly several times while with my therapist. She often guided me through meditation as she had a strong practice of her own.My question is could this be a Jhana and am I falling out of Jhana here how do I stay in there? I’m filled with a lot of anxiety and fear the day after this phenomenon happens (this is off the cushion) particularly when I wake up. Now is this a purification as Culadasa describes as I’ve gone into Jhana or have I crossed the a & p and ended up in dukha nanas? Or is it too early for an A & P to arise given I don’t have a concentration practice, meaning I can’t concentrate for shit.Your words and advice are much appreciated thank you in advance!Jure
jurica kalcina, modified 4 Years ago at 2/8/20 7:38 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 2/8/20 7:38 PM

RE: Some guidance needed if possible!

Maybe I can't enter Jhana with a noting practice?
thumbnail
Laurel Carrington, modified 4 Years ago at 2/8/20 10:35 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 2/8/20 10:35 PM

Sounds like a & p followed by the dukkhas. Jhana practice is stabilizing the mind on a single object. You're doing vipassana, which requires a different kind of concentration. 
jurica kalcina, modified 4 Years ago at 2/8/20 10:50 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 2/8/20 10:50 PM

Thanks for your comment Laurel, that helps me a lot!!

jure
jurica kalcina, modified 4 Years ago at 2/10/20 1:38 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 2/10/20 1:38 AM

So if I incorporate and strengthen my concentration with a concentration practice will it help out difficult dark night stuff that comes up? I felt like I really lost it the last time I was in it. Hope someone can chime in! Thanks 
thumbnail
Laurel Carrington, modified 4 Years ago at 2/10/20 10:41 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 2/10/20 10:41 AM

RE: Some guidance needed if possible! (Answer)

Dry vipassana is a notoriously tough road, even if it can offer rapid results in many cases. You might try looking at Leigh Brasington's book "Right Concentration" and doing a bit of samatha, but the usual advice for people who've passed the a & p is to get on with things, make sure you don't slack off at Equanimity, and get stream entry. I don't want to judge in your specific case, however. Often stream entry can be elusive, and some lubrication can ease the pain. It would help if you could discuss this with a teacher. These stages need to be handled with care. Good luck! 
thumbnail
Stirling Campbell, modified 4 Years ago at 2/10/20 11:23 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 2/10/20 11:23 AM

Just my perspective here (Zen/Dzogchen), but I would just relax a bit. It doesn't need to be something that causes you MORE mental noise. Why not just drop the noting and watch your thoughts arise and pass in calm, clear open/choiceless awareness? This sort of practice is less anxiety producing. Worrying about the merry-go-round of where you are in the Progress of Insight when you are still establishing your concentration can be problematic, IMHO. 

I agree with Laurel - Brasington's book was really helpful if your aspiration is to try to tackle the jhanas on your own, but I'd suggest not grasping at it all. Have an intention, and let go of thoughts of success or failure. Try without worrying about outcomes.
thumbnail
Bardo, modified 4 Years ago at 2/10/20 12:26 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 2/10/20 12:26 PM

Using my own experience as a gauge I wouldn't classify this as jhana due to your description of the entrance and exit. Try to bring in some form of concentration practice - single-pointed if possible. First tranquillity then a gradual moving into one-pointed focus on an object of your pleasing. Typically, Jhana likes to be entertained in these ways: slowly, smoothly, softly, with gentleness and an attention that speaks only of discernment of the object and nothing else. That is the prelude - like walking in slow-motion into an early morning misty meadow only to be greeted by the radiant sun pushing over the horizon. That is jhana.
jurica kalcina, modified 4 Years ago at 2/11/20 2:36 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 2/11/20 2:36 AM

Wow a big thank you to you all for commenting. I'll definitely look into doing a concentration practice and see where it takes me. Thanks again!!