Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood

Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood Liam McClintock 9/4/20 3:13 PM
RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood Nick O 9/5/20 4:21 PM
RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood Noah D 9/5/20 6:48 PM
RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood Nick O 9/5/20 11:06 PM
RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood Noah D 9/6/20 10:38 AM
RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood Sam Gentile 9/6/20 12:26 PM
RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood Noah D 9/7/20 7:35 PM
RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood Jinxed P 9/7/20 1:19 PM
RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood Jinxed P 9/7/20 1:29 PM
RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood T DC 9/7/20 2:02 PM
RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood Sam Gentile 9/7/20 2:31 PM
RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood mrdust 9/7/20 3:55 PM
RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood Jinxed P 9/7/20 3:59 PM
RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood Jinxed P 9/7/20 4:03 PM
RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood T DC 9/7/20 4:44 PM
RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood Sam Gentile 9/9/20 1:07 PM
RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood Chris M 9/9/20 3:23 PM
RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood Sam Gentile 9/9/20 4:28 PM
RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood Babs _ 9/9/20 11:43 AM
RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood Noah D 9/7/20 7:33 PM
RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood Jinxed P 9/7/20 9:21 PM
RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood Noah D 9/7/20 9:34 PM
RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood George S 9/6/20 7:35 AM
RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood Olivier S 9/6/20 7:39 AM
RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood George S 9/6/20 8:07 AM
RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood Sam Gentile 9/6/20 11:43 AM
RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood George S 9/6/20 12:54 PM
RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood Sam Gentile 9/6/20 11:39 AM
Liam McClintock, modified 3 Years ago at 9/4/20 3:13 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/4/20 3:12 PM

Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood

Hi All,

Here’s Indo-Tibetan Meditation Master and Harvard Medical School Psychologist Dr. Dan Brown discussing the Mahamudra path to full enlightenment and some of the more “paranormal” capabilities he’s witnessed in Tibet.

Curious your thoughts emoticon 

Dr. Dan Brown Interview
thumbnail
Nick O, modified 3 Years ago at 9/5/20 4:21 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/5/20 4:21 PM

RE: Dr. Dan Brown Interview - Indo-Tibetan Path to Full Buddhahood

I'm curious to hear feedback about his retreats. I've been interested in exploring Dzogchen / Mahamudra and he seems to be a great teacher but I would hesitate to fork out $1500 for a retreat. 
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 3 Years ago at 9/5/20 6:48 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/5/20 6:48 PM

Nick O:
I'm curious to hear feedback about his retreats. I've been interested in exploring Dzogchen / Mahamudra and he seems to be a great teacher but I would hesitate to fork out $1500 for a retreat. 
For me the 2 POW retreats I've attended have been life changing.
thumbnail
Nick O, modified 3 Years ago at 9/5/20 11:06 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/5/20 11:06 PM

Thanks Noah! I'll probably do one of the early 2021 ones. Did you do two level 1 retreats? 
George S, modified 3 Years ago at 9/6/20 7:35 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/6/20 7:27 AM

Nick O:

Suits like that don't come cheap! I listened to an interview he did with Michael Taft and he told a long story about a philanthropic venture with a good friend of his who ran a hedge fund. Probably just me being cynical, but it seemed boastful and a bit off. I also found he talked really fast and seemed like he was trying to display as much expertise/learning as possible and was quite rigid. But again, that's just based on listening to a 1 hour interview and my own prejudices.
Olivier S, modified 3 Years ago at 9/6/20 7:39 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/6/20 7:39 AM

I get the same feelings every time I hear an itnerview with this guy. 
George S, modified 3 Years ago at 9/6/20 8:07 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/6/20 8:05 AM

Right, why pay for dinner at a fancy restaurant when you can have a free lunch on the DhO?!
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 3 Years ago at 9/6/20 10:38 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/6/20 10:38 AM

Nick O:
Thanks Noah! I'll probably do one of the early 2021 ones. Did you do two level 1 retreats? 
Yeah
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 9/6/20 11:39 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/6/20 11:39 AM

We alrdeady have a pretty extensive Dan Brown thread here  coverin one os his books, retreats and some YouTube videos
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 9/6/20 11:43 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/6/20 11:43 AM

agnostic:
Nick O:

Suits like that don't come cheap! I listened to an interview he did with Michael Taft and he told a long story about a philanthropic venture with a good friend of his who ran a hedge fund. Probably just me being cynical, but it seemed boastful and a bit off. I also found he talked really fast and seemed like he was trying to display as much expertise/learning as possible and was quite rigid. But again, that's just based on listening to a 1 hour interview and my own prejudices.

I lisented to that same interview just yesterday and he really does seen to talk really fast and try to displat as much expertise/learning as possible but then on the other hand, he has been entrusted with teachings that nobody in the West has ever seen or gotten.
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 9/6/20 12:26 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/6/20 12:26 PM

Noah D:
Nick O:
I may have asked you this before but does he give pointing out instructions in his first retreats?
George S, modified 3 Years ago at 9/6/20 12:54 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/6/20 12:48 PM

Sam Gentile:

I lisented to that same interview just yesterday and he really does seen to talk really fast and try to displat as much expertise/learning as possible but then on the other hand, he has been entrusted with teachings that nobody in the West has ever seen or gotten.

I'm generally distrustful of secret teachings and lineage - it smells of marketing + inherited wealth. 
Jinxed P, modified 3 Years ago at 9/7/20 1:19 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/7/20 1:19 PM

Noah D:
Nick O:

Care to expand on this Noah?
Jinxed P, modified 3 Years ago at 9/7/20 1:29 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/7/20 1:28 PM

He makes some radical, unbelievable claims.

1. Complete extirpation of negative emotions
2. Full concentration abilities (all 9 stages) in 2.5 days with proper instruction
3. Saw a guy walk on water
4. rainbow body is real.
T DC, modified 3 Years ago at 9/7/20 2:02 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/7/20 2:02 PM

There do seem to be a wide variety of accounts of rainbow body, can't speak for the Dan Brown but I'm leaving the option open.  ;)
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 9/7/20 2:31 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/7/20 2:31 PM

Read any of Tulku Urygen Rinpoche's books. Rainbow Body is real and has been observed many times
thumbnail
mrdust, modified 3 Years ago at 9/7/20 3:55 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/7/20 3:55 PM

Jesus has been spotted in toast many times, too.
Jinxed P, modified 3 Years ago at 9/7/20 3:59 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/7/20 3:59 PM

Sam Gentile:
Read any of Tulku Urygen Rinpoche's books. Rainbow Body is real and has been observed many times

Just because he wrote it doesn't mean it's real. His books are full of lots of fantastical nonsense.

Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence.

Like at minimum, being caught on film. 
Jinxed P, modified 3 Years ago at 9/7/20 4:03 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/7/20 4:02 PM

I should say that I think Dan Brown is fascinating, and probably a fantastic meditation teacher.  Just that some of his claims go beyond what science would consider possible, and that imo brings into doubt some of his more plausible claims (in that they don't violate laws of physics) such as getting rid of all negative emotions. 
T DC, modified 3 Years ago at 9/7/20 4:44 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/7/20 4:42 PM

Getting rid of all emotions may be a bizarre and largely unsupportable claim, but don't let that deter you from his views that violate the laws of physics.  ;)  

Anyhow, science doesn't really know s*** about conciousness, and likely absolutely nothing about effects of an enlightened consciousness on physical matter.  And the ultimate nature of physical matter itself is still in question - doesn't string theory basically boil down to "it vibrates" ?
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 3 Years ago at 9/7/20 7:33 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/7/20 7:33 PM

Jinxed P:
Noah D:
Nick O:

Sure. The POW curriculum is amazing.  Granted I went in with a fair bit of insight meditation already under my belt & some "path shifts" as we say in prag dharm.  With those things in place, it brought about a shift in identity that really scratched at least one of the core itches of samsara for me.  Since that first POW retreat in mid 2018, practice has felt a lot more like a downhill journey, a process of unwinding a lot of tensions that had been built up.  

In terms of the retreat itself, it's just very carefully designed.  The sequence of techniques & the way they are taught is tailored to the modern lay practitioner.  They seem to have it down to a science.  
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 3 Years ago at 9/7/20 7:35 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/7/20 7:35 PM

Sam Gentile:
Noah D:
Nick O:
I may have asked you this before but does he give pointing out instructions in his first retreats?
Pointing out instruction was given on both of the retreats that I attended.
Jinxed P, modified 3 Years ago at 9/7/20 9:21 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/7/20 9:21 PM

Noah D:
Jinxed P:
Noah D:
Nick O:
I'm curious to hear feedback about his retreats. I've been interested in ex
ploring Dzogchen / Mahamudra and he seems to be a great teacher but I would hesitate to fork out $1500 for a retreat. 

Sure. The POW curriculum is amazing.  Granted I went in with a fair bit of insight meditation already under my belt & some "path shifts" as we say in prag dharm.  With those things in place, it brought about a shift in identity that really scratched at least one of the core itches of samsara for me.  Since that first POW retreat in mid 2018, practice has felt a lot more like a downhill journey, a process of unwinding a lot of tensions that had been built up.  

In terms of the retreat itself, it's just very carefully designed.  The sequence of techniques & the way they are taught is tailored to the modern lay practitioner.  They seem to have it down to a science.  

Did you work on concentration practice? what do you think of his claim that the full 9 stages of concentration can be completed in 2.5 days? What was the progressive curriculum?
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 3 Years ago at 9/7/20 9:34 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/7/20 9:34 PM

Jinxed P:
Did you work on concentration practice?

I did at the retreat since that was on the menu.  I've also worked on the elephant path as a daily practice for multiple months at different times in my practice.  To this day, I still really suck at pure samatha practice.
what do you think of his claim that the full 9 stages of concentration can be completed in 2.5 days?

I think perhaps because the instructions are so good, that teachers in the POW group can guide students into profoundly concentrated states for them to then leverage for insight, even if those students can't then replicate those states when they go practice at home.  I don't think Dr. Brown is making the claim that students who attend 1 POW retreat have permanently attained samatha.
What was the progressive curriculum?

This document has the schedule - https://app.box.com/s/z0mea82l5gfrsi1wl8qyr27krfoxcv4o
Linked to from this page - https://pointingoutway.org/retreats/levels
As the schedule describes, it essentially goes through the 4 yogas of mahamudra which are basically samatha, vipassana, one taste awareness & nondual awareness (or something like that).  
thumbnail
Babs _, modified 3 Years ago at 9/9/20 11:43 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/9/20 11:43 AM

Jinxed P:
He makes some radical, unbelievable claims.

1. Complete extirpation of negative emotions

Hi folks,

Do traditional theravada sources (texts, masters) discuss complete extirpation of negative emotions at arhat stage?
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 9/9/20 1:07 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/9/20 1:02 PM

Jinxed P:
Sam Gentile:

Just because he wrote it doesn't mean it's real. His books are full of lots of fantastical nonsense.

Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence.

Like at minimum, being caught on film. 

You're calling Tulku Urygen's books fantastical nonsense?? Have you read them?? He is still considered after his death as the greatest dzogchen master that ever lived. Students of his have pERSONALLY told me their stories of how he could get people to non-dualistic states through his explanation of the pointing out instructions. His history is impeccable.

Author and neuroscientist Sam Harris was a student of Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche. Describing the Dzogchen instruction he received, Harris wrote:
"The genius of Tulku Urgyen was that he could point out the nature of mind with precision and matter-of-factness of teaching a person how to thread a needle and could get an ordinary meditator like me to recognize that consciousness is intrinsically free of self... I came to Tulku Urgyen yearning for the experience of self-transcendence, and in a few minutes he showed me I had no self to transcend... After a few minutes, Tulku Urgyen simply handed me the ability to cut through the illusion of the self directly, even in ordinary states of consciousness. This instruction was, without question, the most important thing I have ever been explicitly taught by another human being. It has given me a way to escape the usual tides of psychological suffering - fear, anger, shame - in an instant."[7]
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 3 Years ago at 9/9/20 3:23 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/9/20 3:23 PM

Sam, try to detach, okay?
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 9/9/20 4:28 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 9/9/20 4:28 PM

Sure

Breadcrumb