The hall of mirrors

Stian Gudmundsen Høiland, modified 12 Years ago at 10/1/11 12:57 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 9/24/11 5:09 PM

The hall of mirrors

I experience a thing that I call "the hall of mirrors". Attention is brought to the aspect of no-self of some thought or event. It is like dis-embedding, like taking a step back from the thought or event to observe the fact that there is no agency, no self, it is all causal, and this makes sense and is understood, but in doing so I realize that the stepping back is also causal. And that the realization that stepping back is causal is also causal and this realization is also causal and this realization is also causal and this realization is also causal and so on…

Visually it looks like taking a step back, and where my body was just standing there is now a copy of my body. And then I take another step back, and in the place where my body was just standing there is now another copy of me. Since I'm stepping backwards, the copies of my body are facing away from me.
Stian Gudmundsen Høiland, modified 12 Years ago at 10/1/11 12:56 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 10/1/11 12:56 PM

RE: Where, on a map, would this put me?

Earlier today I had a thought about this:

Self is empty. It is like a mirror reflecting a mirror. No substance of it's own. When looking for a self, you will only find a mirror reflecting a mirror reflecting a mirror reflecting a mirror... It's not really there and can't be found. The self is like a hall of mirrors.

Breadcrumb