Post Graduate Recommendations in Australia

Zigg tron, modified 2 Years ago at 6/4/21 2:52 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/4/21 2:52 AM

Post Graduate Recommendations in Australia

Hi All,

I'm looking for places to do post grad study in Australia with a focus on meditation practice and/or buddhist practice for next year.

There is one option I can find. Nan Tien Institute. https://www.nantien.edu.au/

Has anyone had any experience/knolwedge/stories/lets face it, rumours/etc about Nan Tien Institue??  Some things look good but I need to know more first.

They do a Master of Applied Buddhist Studies with early exit options. Which on paper is perfect - I can get funding to study a Masters in Aus at the moment and I want an early exit option.  

Sydney Uni used to do a Masters in Buddhist Studies or something but doesnt now.  There are a couple other options but they seem yoga focused or run by a single teacher and Im unconvinced, but also really open to ideas.
Zigg tron, modified 2 Years ago at 6/4/21 10:32 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/4/21 8:34 PM

RE: Post Graduate Recommendations in Australia

Fyi. Nan Tien Institute seems to be a branch of the Taiwanese Fo Guang Shan.  They pitch themselves as a modernised fusion of Chinese Mahayana traditions.

Critques Ive found is that they seem more focused on establishing themselves on branding and building big temples than real dharma practice. That's the religious sect Fo Guang Shan rather than the Nan Tien Institute.

​​​​​​​My concerns so far - in short - they might be too 'religious' or be too into pureland type things which dont appeal to me from what I know of them.
George S, modified 2 Years ago at 6/4/21 9:41 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/4/21 9:41 PM

Maybe try reaching out to Anna Lutkajtis for advice, she was on Guru Viking recently and is a researcher based in Australia I think.
Zigg tron, modified 2 Years ago at 6/4/21 10:25 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/4/21 10:25 PM

Thanks George!  Ill look her up emoticon

Breadcrumb