Everything I look at is covered in static?

M, modified 2 Years ago at 10/17/21 3:10 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/17/21 3:10 PM

Everything I look at is covered in static?

I noticed the vibrations in my body a few years ago on my first meditation retreat. I've gotten used to noticing a tingling sensation throughout my body if I pay attention. A few days ago, I noticed a similar static whenever I look at things. It's most prominent when I look at stationary things that are solid colors - like a white wall, for example.

I'm looking at a white wall now and it's almost as though there is a layer of static on top of everything I look at. Occasionally, it also makes straight lines/edges look like they're undulating. 

It feels like this visual "white noise" matches the tingling vibrations in my body. It's often unsettling to feel like nothing around me is solid. It's not *too* unsettling though and is mostly fascinating at this point. White walls have never been this interesting. 

What am I seeing? And what am I feeling in my body? I'd really appreciate any help contextualizing this. I'm not sure what I'm seeing. Is this a bug of my visual system? Is this some sort of truth about reality? It's fascinating (and sometimes unsettling) to feel like nothing around me is solid. White walls have never been this interesting. 
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Years ago at 10/17/21 3:50 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/17/21 3:50 PM

RE: Everything I look at is covered in static?

It's not a bug, I'd say. Rather, not seeing this was the bug. You are seeing how the mind is constructing the visual field. Detailed attention can't be everywhere at once, but moves around quickly to cover the field, which is then pasted together to a more holistic image. So basically, what people see is mainly the mind's photoshopping. 
thumbnail
Chris Marti, modified 2 Years ago at 10/17/21 4:08 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/17/21 4:08 PM

Is this some sort of truth about reality? 

This absolutely showing you how your experiences are constructed by the mind. 
M, modified 2 Years ago at 10/17/21 4:11 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/17/21 4:11 PM

Thank you. Do you think there's something deeper I'm supposed to gain from noticing this? It's mostly just "cool" and I do attribute it to deepening my concentration practice, but it doesn't feel particularly remarkable. 
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Years ago at 10/17/21 4:59 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/17/21 4:59 PM

Well, consider the implications.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 2 Years ago at 10/18/21 2:01 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/18/21 2:01 AM

You are seeing things from second jhana/arising and passing away...
Seeing static, hearing meditation caused tinnitus, feeling vibrations. All normal within that state
Keep going~D
​​​​​​​
shargrol, modified 2 Years ago at 10/18/21 5:17 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/18/21 5:17 AM

M, are you familiar with the maps of meditation progress? Usually this stage of practices if followed by both interesting and challenging stages.

Do you have a structured sitting practice? Do you have meditation friends or teachers you can talk with if practice becomes interesting or challenging? It's good to have a support group in place before things get too wild.
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 10/20/21 1:44 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/20/21 1:44 PM

"if practice becomes interesting or challenging? It's good to have a support group in place before things get too wild"

I warmly second that! emoticon Things can get rather bumpy and disorienting during certain stages! 

Best wishes M!

Breadcrumb