RE: Self retreat: Advices and suggestions needed.

GSri, modified 2 Years ago at 1/3/22 5:22 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 1/3/22 5:22 AM

Self retreat: Advices and suggestions needed.

Hi all,

I have planned to do a self retreat in a meditation center in the outskirts of my city. They provide food and accommodation for a nominal cost and they have a meditation pyramid where we meditate.

Plan is to do a month long retreat. I might have a couple of interruptions in between and I may need to go home couple of times, but I plan to come back to the center as soon as possible. 

The intention of having this posted here are the following:

1. To make sure I am on track and keep up the motivation going as it's easy to lose track in a self retreat. 
2. To get advices and suggestions from fellow meditators here.
3. To see how my practice progress.

Goal:
Goal is to progress through the insight stages as much as possible, with sincere and continuous practice. 

Motivation:
This could be my last retreat for atleast next 3 years. Hence want to make most of it. This is my main motivation.

Practice history:
I have been practicing Vipassana in both Goenka and Mahasi methods on and off for five years now. I have done many Goenka 10 day retreats and one four-week Mahasi retreat.

Method:
To start with, I'm thinking I'll do the Mahasi technique with attention on rising/falling of the abdomen and noting the distractions. I'll be noting as fast as one note per second to begin with.

Initially I would start with 5 hours each of sitting and walking alternatively with a total of 10 hours per day. And of course try and continue the mindfulness off cushion too.

I will be flexible and keep the rest of the things open. Hope I have a fruitful retreat. I hope the city do not go under lockdown for next one month atleast.

I'm not sure how frequently I'll be posting here. For now I think, once a day would be ideal.

Will be eagerly waiting to get timely advices and suggestions from you experienced folks!

May all be safe!

G.Sri
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 2 Years ago at 1/4/22 4:33 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 1/4/22 4:33 AM

Look closely at sensations that seem to be you, permanent and satisfying. Any time you come across those type of sensations, stay with it until it fades away in importance and desolves/ becomes empty.
This training will make within equinimity an automatic reaction towards stream entry.
Just my opinion,
Good luck,
​​​​​​​~D
GSri, modified 2 Years ago at 1/4/22 9:58 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 1/4/22 9:58 AM

Thanks, Dream Walker!

Do you suggest this training only during Equanimity or during earlier stages too?
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 2 Years ago at 1/18/22 10:18 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 1/18/22 10:18 AM

Notice all sensations and pay attention all the way. Its easy to ignore good stuff and investigate bad. Everything must go into the noticing and investigating
Good Luck
~D

Breadcrumb