Pragmatic Dharma Recovery Groups?

Aaron Baron, modified 2 Years ago at 2/6/22 8:11 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 2/6/22 8:11 PM

Pragmatic Dharma Recovery Groups?

There is a recovery (from drugs and alcohol) support group network called recovery dharma.

I'm wondering if there are any sanghas there that are based on pragmatic dharma. I'll try SF Dharma Collective's recovery group but hoping someone knows. Thanks.
George S, modified 2 Years ago at 2/7/22 5:06 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 2/7/22 5:05 AM

RE: Pragmatic Dharma Recovery Groups?

I don't know about any pragmatic dharma recovery options, but I recently heard someone mention a non-dual speaker called Paul Hedderman and listened to a couple of his talks. He was an addict and got clean and then woke up while going through the AA's 12 step program. He talks very openly about his personal experiences, e.g. in this interview:

https://batgap.com/paul-hedderman/
Gus Castellanos, modified 2 Years ago at 2/7/22 2:11 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 2/7/22 2:11 PM

I have been in recovery for 18 years. I started with12 Steps in 2004 and added Refuge Recovery in 2017. I and our local RR sangha switched to Recovery Dharma when it formed due to the split with RR that happened due to Noah Levine's issues in 2019. I led a local RD meeting until the pandemic, and am still active in the RD program. The meetings I attend are more recovery than dharma-oriented, in part because most attendees come from 12 Steps.
I'd be interested in a more pragmatic dharma program of recovery, so if you do find one, please let me know. Thanks
ps Hedderman is great - funny, direct, and informative. For it what it is worth, I find him more of an Advaita/nondual type than dharma. 
thumbnail
Ni Nurta, modified 2 Years ago at 2/7/22 3:24 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 2/7/22 3:24 PM

Did you recover anything valueable in this dharma recovery program?
18 years is quite a long time you see. I would say with regular dharma program enough to attain 4th path... twice XD
Gus Castellanos, modified 2 Years ago at 2/7/22 3:35 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 2/7/22 3:35 PM

Ni Nurta--not sure I understand your question and comment...its a program of recovery using dharma principles we aim to get and stay clean and sober. It's not a program to attain any path, though I am not saying it cannot happen.
From their website:
"We are a peer-led movement and community that is unified by our trust in the potential of each of us to recover and find freedom from the suffering of addiction. We believe that recovery means empowerment, and we support each other as partners walking the path of recovery together. Our program uses the Buddhist practices of meditation, self-inquiry, wisdom, compassion, and community as tools for recovery and healing. We believe that recovery is about finding our own inner wisdom and our own path."
thumbnail
Ni Nurta, modified 2 Years ago at 2/7/22 3:49 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 2/7/22 3:49 PM

LOL, I didn't really read what this topic is about and thought it is self help program to stay out of meditation and dharma
Because you know, meditation can lead to issues and is addictive and ruin lives, people drop schools, jobs, get divorced etc. so they need program to keep themselves in check and not indulge in dharma. Also to deal with all the damage dharma done like people get dark nights, messed up perception, especially perception of sense of self, get to states of derealization.

But group that uses dharma to help with drugs and alcohol makes sense. Thanks for clarification and good work
thumbnail
Simon T, modified 2 Years ago at 2/8/22 9:50 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 2/8/22 9:50 AM

I read it as "Recovery from Pragmatic Dharma"... that could be interesting ;) 

Breadcrumb