Private Messaging

J Doaeond, modified 2 Years ago at 3/13/22 5:52 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 3/13/22 5:52 PM

Private Messaging

Hello,

I'm new here, & I am having trouble managing to use the private messaging function. Apparently, I am supposed to click on a user's name/picture in order to reach the user's home page, from which I can reach them via PM? I can't click on any user's name/picture & so I'm not sure if there is another way...?

Thanks,
Doaeond
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 2 Years ago at 3/13/22 6:18 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 3/13/22 6:18 PM

RE: Private Messaging

The private messaging system here is broken, very sorry to say.

CMarti
​​​​​​​DhO Moderator
J Doaeond, modified 2 Years ago at 3/13/22 7:55 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 3/13/22 7:53 PM

I see. Is there a way that two people may communicate in private? It is not absolutely necessary, but is probably of preference.

Actually, you were the person I was hoping to PM re the locking of a recent topic. I thought you would wish to discuss it in private for the same reason that you froze it.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 2 Years ago at 3/14/22 6:48 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 3/14/22 6:47 AM

I don't want to post my email address here and I won't ask you to do it, either. I'd much rather get the messaging system fixed, but that's out of my control. Again, I'm sorry. It's very inconvenient.

I froze that particular topuic for the reason stated - it looked like spam. We can discuss that here if you'd like.
J Doaeond, modified 2 Years ago at 3/14/22 8:56 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 3/14/22 8:52 PM

Sure, let's discuss it here.

Now, I may have arrived at the wrong forum for discussing wisdom related "ideas". This forum seems more dedicated to practice & practice related to certain teachings. The reason I thought I might post here is because these practices are largely a pursuit of wisdom, and the contents of the lectures are ideas & 'methods' that you can apply - though not as 'concretely' as meditation - to attain wisdom. I don't know if the contents of the lectures are quite the kind of material you'd wish to be on these forums, which is completely understandable; it's mostly just philosophy & a method for 'improving IQ' which is I think better translated to 'increase wisdom'. The IQ thing is a misnomer that I hate.

It's unfortunate that the lecturer has marketed and presented the lectures in the way they're done, and if it was not copyrighted & behind a pay-wall, I'd happily share as much of it as I could for the benefit of other people. I can't manage to find people online to talk about the lectures with, & it seems that where I try, the pay-wall & marketing put me in a bad position. There is not much I can do to change these perceptions, and people such as yourself will - as you should - try to stop other people wasting their money on bad-looking products or having the forum turn into a market with advertisements throughout.

If the lectures were a product that was more reputable & popular, discussion would less likely be discouraged. However, that is not the case. It doesn't matter whether my intentions are genuine or not, genuine intentions will not be fulfilled.
So, I'm limited in my persuasion for you to unlock the thread, but I've already accepted that as an unlikely scenario. I'd ask firstly, you read the OP again. Secondly, I won't promote the lectures in any way. Of course, starting a discussion where money is necessary to participate raises some eyebrows, but I don't have much other choice. The most I can promise is that I don't actively promote the series, because that's honestly not my interest. My interest is merely in discussing the ideas, just in case someone on this forum has by coincidence knowledge of the lectures.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​If it would make it better for me to reword the OP in any way, I'm more than happy to consider that. I'm happy if you put particular restrictions in place e.g. I'll only respond to people who have already listened to the lectures (which is what I'm interested in anyways). That may take some monitoring, which if its too much then I have no other choice but to drop what I'm doing here & wish you all the best.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 2 Years ago at 3/15/22 7:24 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 3/15/22 7:24 AM

I truly appreciate your comments. Unfortunately, the system appears to be a for-profit series of lectures that is only available commercially, not in any other way. From what I glean from my own research, it may just be a scam of some sort.

I found these free offerings:  Free Briefings

I don't think the subject matter suits this website. The free content I just read on the site is not aligned with the purpose of the Dharma Overground.

If others here want to weigh in I'm happy to listen to their thoughts.
genaro, modified 2 Years ago at 3/15/22 7:42 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 3/15/22 7:42 AM

The free briefings have a similar feel to the outpourings of Bob Dobbs, an ordinary guy but with a great deal of slack.

He was the figurehead of the church of the sub genius (huh 'mega genious' that sort of rhymes). the church of the sub genious was of course a humourous project aka satire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._%22Bob%22_Dobbs

I once met someone with a Bob Dobbs t-shirt and told him 'the true Bob smokes on the left'  (This is known) and had the reply that he was an ordained minister to which i rejoined 'you paid the cheap subscription' :-)

You could discuss it in the  humour section, but I would not part with cash, and it's not relevant here, i agree w/ Chris. Neither i imagine is scientology.
J Doaeond, modified 2 Years ago at 3/15/22 10:19 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 3/15/22 10:15 PM

I am a little disappointed by your response, as you've only reiterated what I stated in the OP & did not go further than simply remarking on your appreciation of my comments. However, thank you for looking through the materials yourself, albeit that the free materials do not do much to reflect the contents relevant to the OP.

Nonetheless, it doesn't seem like this content is suitable for this forum, at least because of the presentation & pay-wall - which I understand may be sufficient. You can delete the original thread, because I don't think that it's going to progress & I see that it's quite likely to tarnish my reputation if I continue to participate on the forum based on the responses thus far.

I won't mention the lectures again unless instigated by another person, with whom I'll only discuss the lectures with in the case that they've already purchased them. I'm still very much interested in what the forum has to offer on my own journey to attaining wisdom.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 2 Years ago at 3/16/22 7:03 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 3/16/22 7:03 AM

I understand your disappointment but I do hope you hang around here and explore the DhO. No hard feelings!

- CMarti
DhO Moderator

Breadcrumb