Full body burning and sense that I will die during meditation

madison wu, modified 1 Year ago at 7/3/22 11:11 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 7/3/22 11:11 PM

Full body burning and sense that I will die during meditation

Hi there, someone on Reddit recommended I post here:

Hi there, admittedly I have felt full body burning sensations outside of meditation, mainly when I do psychedelics or feel deep fear. However, I’ve been feeling a lot of suffering lately, and this evening I decided to try to meditate into it because I don’t know what else to do. So I sat, and I meditated. I did mindfulness while grounding with my breath. I watched a lot come up, a lot of thoughts and sensations. They were all uncomfortable. So I tried to accept them and continued to sit. However, as my meditation went on the pain/burning in my body continued to grow. I noticed it, accepted, and sat with it, and it got deeper and deeper, and more intense. I felt like I was leaving my body. My perception of the space around me felt vast, in a really dark eerie way. It was scary, but I tried to accept it and keep going. My heart was also beating incredibly fast. The burning was throughout my whole body. Eventually the burning and weird body feelings got so strong, coupled with this sense that if I keep going I will literally die, that I panicked and ended it. I don’t know what to do or think about this. I often have a deep sense/fear that I “need” to kill myself, that that is the “right” thing to do. And I fear that doing anything besides accepting that I need to die is “wrong”. This sense has been strong for me lately and I don’t know what else to do besides trying to just accept how I’m feeling, but then things like this meditation happen and I feel overwhelmed. I also feel like I “failed” to accept things because I jumped up out of my meditation.
George S, modified 1 Year ago at 7/4/22 10:31 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 7/4/22 10:31 AM

RE: Full body burning and sense that I will die during meditation

If you are actually feeling suicidal then you need to seek proper help.

Other than that, meditation will release a ton of old stress and suffering. It can feel alarming at times but it can't hurt you, it's actually the natural healing process. You have to be careful not to push yourself too hard with this though, everyone has their limits. Establishing your limits is not failure, it's common sense. Take your time and stay grounded. It's better to release it in small chunks which you can actually sit through, rather than trying to release it all at once and freaking yourself out.

When you combine this process with initial insights into "not-self", the mind can turn this process into a narrative of "psychological death", but that's just a story to try to explain what's going on in the body. It doesn't really need a story, so try to stay as close as you can to the physical sensations and feelings in the body, and you will be fine.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 1 Year ago at 7/18/22 5:32 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 7/18/22 5:32 AM

If you are feeling fear, you might read this...

MCTB the progress of insight stage 6 Knowledge of fear

Feeling vs acting upon feelings are definately different. If you feel like acting upon your fear, please seek help.
Know that many have gone thru the stages of insight and gotten used to it. It is always uncomfortable but doable.
Good luck,
​​​​​​​~D
Zeah Walker, modified 20 Days ago at 4/4/24 11:04 AM
Created 20 Days ago at 4/4/24 11:04 AM

Hey, did you even get an answer to what you're going through. I've been experiencing it too. To the point where it happens even if I'm not meditating. Just existing at night. Or before when I used to get high. But it seems the more I try to heal(felt that deep suffering too. Also anxiety) the more it gets clearer and easier to fall into. Last night I felt it so strong taking over me. I was lying in bed. When I felt something was told to me in my sleep. I started to fall asleep then realized. And when I did. I felt that burning sensation throughout my body and feeling like I'm literally surrendering to death. It's peaceful. But I always pull out of it thinking of my loved ones I'm leaving behind. And I also feel disappointed with myself for running,shaking heart racing too! And it's so bad I can't see the world the same. I can't be alone too long without it happening. Dreams too. Where I dreamt last year my consciousness was being taken from my body, away from my sister. So idk what to do. If it's spiritual anxiety/depression, or actually a spiritual occurrence. Either way I feel doomed and isolated. Like stuck in a paradox/loop. 

Breadcrumb