Seeking teacher recommendations

Dave Navratil, modified 1 Year ago at 8/22/22 11:58 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 8/22/22 11:58 AM

Seeking teacher recommendations

Hello,

I'm looking for a teacher to help guide me in my practice. A little about me.
  • Raised in a rigid evangelical christian home. Didn't care much for spirituality until 7 years ago
  • Through some serious personal suffering, had a few "awakening" type experiences 6-7 years ago
  • Became a serious Christian between 2015-2019
  • Started to deconstruct the Chrisitan dogmas in 2019, which was followed by a significant mystical experience and profound paradigm shift
  • 2019-2022 - off and on meditator. Periods of daily sitting meditation for 20-60 minutes, with some periods of weeks or more without any intentional sitting meditation
  • 2021-2022 - dove into lots of nondual teachings, ultimately coming to realize clearly the 3 characteristics (particularly the no-self very potently realized in summer 2022)
  • Now seeking to get serious into a practice and hoping for guidance from a seasoned practitioner
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 1 Year ago at 8/22/22 12:18 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 8/22/22 12:18 PM

RE: Seeking teacher recommendations

Hello, Dave.

What type/style of meditation have you been practicing? 
Dave Navratil, modified 1 Year ago at 8/22/22 5:15 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 8/22/22 5:15 PM

Hey Chris,<br /><br />Primarily breathing meditation. But I've dabbled around with different approaches over the last few years. I just dove back into The Mind Illuminated though, and am intending to work through the stage from the beginning...really working on sharpening my concentration.<br />In my journey I've had a lot of insights and deep experience, but never successfully cultivate strong concentration.
Susan B, modified 1 Year ago at 8/28/22 7:44 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 8/28/22 7:44 AM

I can recommend Ajahn Sona's Youtube channel. He can take you from knowing next to nothing into Jhanas and it is all on there.

I have sampled many different "schools" and I honestly prefer anyone that trained under Ajahn Chah. Those teachings are simple and profund at the same time plus the authenticity is there without undue pomp and theatre.
I find the Tibetans too fanciful and Advaita Vedanta does not cover the very basics enough for me.

They are lots of teachers well worth listening to and I will name a few others but Ajahn Sona has put a geat deal on his channel during the past 2 or 3 years. Others are Ajahns Sumedho, Amaro, Jayasaro, Succito they are all Westerners that trained under the Thai Forest tradition of Ajahn Chah.

Breadcrumb