Abilify any experiences?

Rousseau Matt, modified 1 Year ago at 1/8/23 4:54 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 11/6/22 3:00 PM

Abilify any experiences?

My doctor thinks I should add on a low dose of the anti psychotic   ABILIFY. . This would be an add on to my paxil for depression.  It makes the anti depressant  work better when you have been on them a while.  Anybody know how this medication could affect mindfullness or concentration practice.. apparently  it's better than most atypical anti psychotic meds.it won't wipe you out.   I used to be on seroquel ZZZZZzzzzzz. Lol
George S, modified 1 Year ago at 11/7/22 11:49 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 11/7/22 11:49 AM

RE: Abilify any experiences?

I tried Ability once. I was on prozac and it wasn't working as well as before, so the psych gave me some Abilify to take "if I really needed it". I felt so bad at one point that I did try it. It basically numbed my emotions so that I couldn't feel anything much at all. It helped get me through a rough patch, but I also realized that I didn't want to be an emotional zombie. I think that was really the turning point when I realized that I needed to come off the meds and just feel whatever it was inside me that needed to be felt. So I would say definitely follow your doctor's advice, but also try to be cognizant of how the meds are affecting you and what might be going on underneath. I don't know if you're in the US, but in general I have found psychs in the US overeager to prescribe medications ... They definitely helped me to get through tough periods before I started meditating, but longer-term it was meditation that really resolved the underlying issues (depression, suicidal ideation, anxiety etc.)
Rousseau Matt, modified 1 Year ago at 1/8/23 4:54 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 11/7/22 6:56 PM

Thanks. I will try to be mindfull while taking the medication. I will see  how my sits go also and get back to you
thumbnail
Lynsey Jenkins, modified 8 Months ago at 7/23/23 7:57 AM
Created 8 Months ago at 7/23/23 7:56 AM

I started meditation practice on a low of abilify for panic disorder (which I now ascribe to dark night of the soul activity), so I'm not sure how it's impacted my practice considering I'm still on it, but it's interesting you asked this. And given the comment above, I'm wondering how much it numbs without me realizing. It ususually doesn't cause tiredness like other antipsychotics, and I've been cycling through insight stages with intesity regardless of it. I also used to be on seroquel, though. Glad I found this site bc I've been feeling guilty about taking medication at all; it's good to know I'm not alone.
Niklas -, modified 8 Months ago at 7/25/23 6:39 AM
Created 8 Months ago at 7/25/23 6:39 AM

I've been on meds for 25 years, also felt guilty about it at some point. Now I have only been taking a low dose for years, but every time I try to quit it, things get rough. So I have deducted that my brain chemistry just is malfunctioning in some way, and I need the med like someone with a heart condition or diabetes needs theirs. Granted, I am only a newbie at meditation, and at some point I used to think that practice would somehow cure me, but now I think that the goal of meditation practice, whatever it is, will probably not cure my biological brain dysfunction. I hope it will, but I am not holding my breath.