Thinking and discipline

Brendan Thorn, modified 1 Year ago at 12/5/22 5:10 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 12/5/22 5:10 PM

Thinking and discipline

Does buddhism have space for strong ambition in the arts and discipline?

Also Can a buddha think?

And lastly anyone here a stoic-buddhist?
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 1 Year ago at 12/5/22 8:53 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 12/5/22 8:53 PM

RE: Thinking and discipline

Brendan Thorn Does buddhism have space for strong ambition in the arts and discipline? ...

It depends on the reason for the ambition. If the source of the ambition is selfishness, egocentrism, attachment, or aversion then it will probably fade if the Buddhist makes progress on the path. If the ambition is based on the desire to help others it might survive progress. But often people are not honest with themselves about their motives so they might tell themselves they are motivated by unselfishness even though they really aren't. 

I used to go the the local Zen center and once a week there was a talk given by a member of the sangha. Many of these talks were by people who told how they dropped out of the rat race to pursue the path. I thought they were crazy to give up well paying careers to lead a contemplative life ... until I did it myself.
Isak Tougaard, modified 1 Year ago at 12/5/22 9:28 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 12/5/22 9:28 PM

RE: Thinking and discipline

I don't see how it would an obstacle to creating art - why would the humen need for creativity and playful desire vanish because of enlightenment?

Ryokan comes to mind - he was known for his calligraphy and poetry.

I believe Daniel Ingram plays the guitar, authors book and tinkers with sound engineering.

Breadcrumb