RE: Dukkha ñanas, or the Duke of Bananas?

thumbnail
Tarver , modified 12 Years ago at 12/12/11 12:30 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 12/12/11 12:30 AM

Dukkha ñanas, or the Duke of Bananas?

I would like to share an image that came to mind while I was supposed to be meditating.

The Duke of Bananas is a cartoon-like apparition who looks like a large bunch of bananas, more green than yellow, wearing a Ducal coronet and a magical Cloak of Vagueness. He is my arch-nemesis, a trickster whose job it is to keep me cycling forever in the Dark Night. I only know three things for sure about the Duke: he is constantly changing; he is totally unsatisfactory in every way; and he sure ain't me. Whenever he appears in any of his usual guises, like fear or misery, I have to penetrate his Cloak of Vagueness and discern as many of his banana/sensations as I can before he once again slips away.

This image is so goofy and ridiculous that as soon as I think of it, I can't help but smile. The smile, in turn, reminds me of at least the possibility of the first jhana, mindfulness of breathing, why I am here, and what I am supposed to be doing. The instant I realize that the Duke has been screwing up my practice and my life yet again, he disappears and I am right back on track, smiling.

Such was the image that came to mind while I was supposed to be meditating.
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 12 Years ago at 12/12/11 5:16 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 12/12/11 5:16 AM

thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 12 Years ago at 12/12/11 5:27 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 12/12/11 5:27 AM

thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 12 Years ago at 12/12/11 8:50 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 12/12/11 8:50 AM

Ha! The Dole banana guy is a legend, my daughter has a strange obsession with him.
thumbnail
Tarver , modified 12 Years ago at 12/13/11 9:23 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 12/13/11 9:23 PM

Funny.

My image was more like the character on a playing card: Jack of Hearts, King of Diamonds, Duke of Bananas. Something like that.

I have been re-reading the section of MCTB that deals with the Dark Night, and in particular the possibility of moving through it quickly with minimal disruption to regular life. Ha! Take that, Duke!

Breadcrumb