Meditation for the Masses?

thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 12 Years ago at 3/15/12 11:15 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/15/12 11:11 AM

Meditation for the Masses?

I've come across quite a few things like this recently. I'm not sure if there is a budding trend here, or if these things have always been around and I'm just noticing them.

On the one hand, some stress relief that doesn't involve alcohol and other drugs is probably a good thing. On the other, I'm uncertain of the value of the "fun, easy, only takes 10 seconds!" approach.

Are these things harmful, or is it a case of anything being better than nothing?

What does the DhO think?

[edited for clarity]
thumbnail
Dauphin Supple Chirp, modified 12 Years ago at 3/15/12 11:46 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/15/12 11:46 AM

RE: Meditation for the Masses?

My vote goes to "anything is better than nothing."

That said, it is kind of weird when you hear an "expert" introducing the audience to this great new discovery called mindfulness and you can tell he has made it all the way up to the 2nd ñāṇa and probably talked to someone once who got to the 4th.

"Eventually you will discover the difference between what is your body and what is your mind, and if you really practice a lot, you will start seeing how the mind influences the body and how the body influences the mind. If anyone has seen the movie, The Matrix, this is basically it."

I don't know how it is possible that these people have never heard of the progress of insight, considering they have spent years studying and teaching philosophy or psychology and specialize in mindfulness practice, but apparently it is.
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 12 Years ago at 3/15/12 1:26 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/15/12 1:26 PM

I lean toward the "better than nothing" side as well Dauphin. I get to dig around in this stuff a bit more than most and it does appear to be a bit of a trend. I can imagine a scenario where a small percentage of these guys (and others) students go on to do their own research and end up doing some serious meditation. Unfortunately I can also imagine a scenario where the "market" for such services creates a race to the bottom in terms of "easiness" and the bar gets lower and lower in terms of "qualifications" for teachers.

Having said that, Im not hugely worried. Mrs Bagpuss says she likes the idea of 10mins a day, and the way it's presented. It may be just the "door opener" some folks need...
The Meditator, modified 12 Years ago at 3/15/12 5:41 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/15/12 5:41 PM

Hi
There is a good to spread meditation it is perfect. Say it your wife.
Take care
Meditator
thumbnail
Jane Laurel Carrington, modified 12 Years ago at 3/16/12 2:13 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/16/12 2:13 PM

On the plus side, you're not apt to hit A&P, and the DN, if you're only doing 10 minutes a day. If these people start getting serious, however, they might find themselves in (for them) uncharted territory, and not liking it quite so much. That's the downside to these popular schemes.
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 12 Years ago at 3/16/12 4:27 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/16/12 4:27 PM

I think that's a very good point Jane. I've been looking more at this though and I must say, it's very well done. I've really struggled to explain the "why" of my practice and it's goals to my family. The little cartoony videos he has do a smashing job of selling some of the main benefits of a simple/shallow practice. I've recommended it to mother bagpuss and I hope it will give mrs bagpuss a push toward more serious practice.

I've found the whole thing to be very impressive.
thumbnail
Jon T, modified 12 Years ago at 3/16/12 5:26 PM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/16/12 5:26 PM

I've recommended it to mother bagpuss and I hope it will give mrs bagpuss a push toward more serious practice.

there is no need to sell meditation or mindfulness or positive attitude or behavioral cognitive therapy. these things are already as mainstream as hard work and alcohol. go to any self help section of a book store.

Breadcrumb