Attentiveness to Sensuousness

thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 11 Years ago at 8/20/12 12:12 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/20/12 12:12 PM

Attentiveness to Sensuousness

"Attentiveness to Sensuousness" is a very important part of "Practices inspired by Actualism" practice, but the phrase does not appear a single time on the AFT website.
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 11 Years ago at 8/20/12 12:56 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/20/12 12:56 PM

RE: Attentiveness to Sensuousness

"Attentiveness to Sensuousness" is a very important part of "Practices inspired by Actualism" practice, but the phrase does not appear a single time on the AFT website.

I don't recall seeing this phrase used on this site for quite some time now, although I remember Stian bringing it up in this thread after you'd come back from meeting Richard. At that point, it was accepted that the use of the phrase was inaccurate and so, to my knowledge, those of us who'd been using it stopped doing so. Based on that, I have no idea why you would post this and suggest that ""Attentiveness to Sensuousness" is a very important part of "Practices inspired by Actualism" practice" when it's not actually the case.

Since the word "Attentiveness" provides, according to this search, 555 results, and the word "Sensuousness", according to this search, brings up 362 results, is seems that the use of the word "to" is what's causing the apparent confusion which, as far as I can see, only you continue to suffer from.
thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 11 Years ago at 8/20/12 1:07 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/20/12 1:04 PM

Hey Tommy,

Tommy M:
I don't recall seeing this phrase used on this site for quite some time now, although I remember Stian bringing it up in this thread after you'd come back from meeting Richard. At that point, it was accepted that the use of the phrase was inaccurate and so, to my knowledge, those of us who'd been using it stopped doing so.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that. Could you provide some links showing who accepted the use of that phrase as being inaccurate, before that thread was posted?

Tommy M:
Based on that, I have no idea why you would post this and suggest that ""Attentiveness to Sensuousness" is a very important part of "Practices inspired by Actualism" practice" when it's not actually the case.

I remember reading Nikolai's blog and him saying that the most important thing for him at that point was "attentiveness to sensuousness 24/7". Unfortunately his blog is not available anymore so I can't provide a direct quote.

I brought it up because I remember being initially shocked that that phrase doesn't appear at all on the AFT site. Stian was also quite surprised when I pointed it out to him. I just a few minutes ago spoke to someone who was again shocked, which made me realize that not everybody knew this, so I figured I'd just get it out there.
thumbnail
Tommy M, modified 11 Years ago at 8/20/12 3:05 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/20/12 3:05 PM

Could you provide some links showing who accepted the use of that phrase as being inaccurate, before that thread was posted?

I didn't say, or even suggest, that anyone stopped used it before the post I linked to:

Tommy:
At that point, it was accepted that the use of the phrase was inaccurate and so, to my knowledge, those of us who'd been using it stopped doing so.

Had I said "By that point.." then it would be a different matter as it implies that this change in usage had taken place prior to that post, but that's not what I said.

I remember reading Nikolai's blog and him saying that the most important thing for him at that point was "attentiveness to sensuousness 24/7".

And in the post I linked to, Nikolai also stated:

Yes, I may have unfortunately helped cover over that part of sensuousness with my own take on it. My bad. [...] Let wonder inform and infuse your practice of attentiveness and sensuousness.

My emphasis added to show the clear distinction between attentiveness and sensousness, rather than "attentiveness to sensuousness" as you continue to suggest.

I just a few minutes ago spoke to someone who was again shocked, which made me realize that not everybody knew this, so I figured I'd just get it out there.

Wouldn't it be more helpful to that person if you directed them to the Actualism site and/or forums? There seems little point in sending them here if what's being discussed here is not Actualism or aimed towards "an actual freedom", if indeed that's what the person was interested in.

Just trying to keep things clear here, so as to avoid any further confusion for anyone.
thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 11 Years ago at 8/20/12 3:31 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/20/12 3:26 PM

Tommy M:
Could you provide some links showing who accepted the use of that phrase as being inaccurate, before that thread was posted?

I didn't say, or even suggest, that anyone stopped used it before the post I linked to:

Tommy:
At that point, it was accepted that the use of the phrase was inaccurate and so, to my knowledge, those of us who'd been using it stopped doing so.

Had I said "By that point.." then it would be a different matter as it implies that this change in usage had taken place prior to that post, but that's not what I said.

Oh gotcha, my misunderstanding then.

Tommy:
I remember reading Nikolai's blog and him saying that the most important thing for him at that point was "attentiveness to sensuousness 24/7".

And in the post I linked to, Nikolai also stated:

Yes, I may have unfortunately helped cover over that part of sensuousness with my own take on it. My bad. [...] Let wonder inform and infuse your practice of attentiveness and sensuousness.

My emphasis added to show the clear distinction between attentiveness and sensousness, rather than "attentiveness to sensuousness" as you continue to suggest.

Ah I see, you mean he got the message and stopped using the term. And you as well. And nobody has used the term recently so everybody else as well. Got it.

The reason I posted it because it seemed not everybody had gotten the message (e.g. the person I spoke to), and as it was very shocking for them, it reminded me how shocking it was for me, so I thought I would post it here. But I agree, it is out of date for you and me and I guess people who read Stian's post.
Change A, modified 11 Years ago at 8/20/12 10:27 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 8/20/12 10:27 PM

Attentiveness and Sensuousness and Apperceptiveness is a very important part of Actualism and it is a plagiarized version from Bhante G's book Mindfulness in Plain English.