Meditation Chairs

thumbnail
Alan Smithee, modified 11 Years ago at 12/4/12 12:35 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/4/12 12:35 PM

Meditation Chairs

I'm thinking about my next ten-day Goenka retreat [in June] and the possibility of bringing a meditation chair. My last retreat I struggled with pain [big surprise] and I feel like some valuable meditation time was lost fussing over ass pain, leg pain, etc., and I may have sat longer sessions, etc., were it not for fore mentioned pain.

Nevertheless, and conversely, I had my A+P breakthrough when the pain in my legs got so bad that I decided to investigate its sensations on a moment to moment basis as they arose and passed away. I also hit high equanimity for the first time after sitting through some terrible pain, and all of a sudden I realized I didn't really feel the pain in the same way before nor did it really bother me [eventually, however, the pain always comes back, it always comes back]. So maybe pain is essential to this process in some weird way? Or maybe not. Maybe more progress would be made without pain, I'm not sure.

They have these "back jack" meditation chairs which they sell for like $40. They seem to be the cheapest, and everything else is like these $400 handcrafted deals for the bourgeois mediators out there. My concern with the back jacks are that they don't adjust, meaning, the back of the chair is always stuck at the same angle. When I drive in a car I adjust the seat to a low angle because sitting at a 90 degree kills my spine, etc. I'd be most comfortable if I could adjust the back, but at my last retreat there was a guy there who had one of these things and he seemed to think it was great.

Anyway, anyone meditate with one of these floor chair thingies? Thoughts? Can you recommend a brand? Is the back jack good? Or should I just stick with a ol' zafu on the next retreat...

Thanks all.
thumbnail
Jane Laurel Carrington, modified 11 Years ago at 12/4/12 1:59 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/4/12 1:59 PM

RE: Meditation Chairs

Go ahead and try it. I am no fan of creating pain for yourself in meditation, mainly because you might be doing serious damage to your back and to your knee and hip joints trying to maintain a posture that your body just can't manage. Even if we were on easy chairs things would hurt, but this idea that we have to tough out misery is a crock, IMHO.

I used one of these back jack chairs briefly at a retreat but even that was not as good for my old bones as a good old fashioned chair. But if you can hack this thing better than a cushion, then use it.
Melanie Lily Green, modified 4 Years ago at 5/14/19 2:24 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 5/14/19 2:24 AM

Speaking of meditation chairs, I also experience lower back pain while meditating. I meditate often even at home so this is a problem that has developed over time. I bought a meditation chair online and so far, so good. These chairs have a back support so your spine is properly aligned and you are able to maintain a straight and healthy posture. Most of them are very cheap actually.
Ashwani Kumar, modified 3 Years ago at 5/31/20 7:39 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/31/20 7:37 AM

We all know the meditation benefits but sitting long time can create back pain problems. To prevent back pain, you need to know some key factors like keeping your pelvis straight. So it recommended to use cushion during meditation and also have a back pain chair in your living room to prevent back pain issues in future.
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 3 Years ago at 5/31/20 8:12 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/31/20 7:52 AM

I don't know if this will help on a retreat but I meditate either sitting in a chair (sitting the way I normally would eating or using the computer), or sitting on the floor in the Burmese posture leaning back against a board that is leaning against the wall with a back support cushion at the base of the board.

There is a sketch at this link https://postimg.cc/8FBSHvWj
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 3 Years ago at 5/31/20 8:58 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 5/31/20 8:57 AM

My thoughts are that if you have investigated pain once, you can do it again. But don't do it on purpose. It will come up if necessary. Buy your chair.

Edit: I just realized this thread is quite old.

Breadcrumb