Just finished MCTB. Is it still relevant?

MELT , modified 11 Years ago at 12/18/12 10:13 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/18/12 10:13 AM

Just finished MCTB. Is it still relevant?

I notice the book was written 4-5 years ago. My questions are:

Are the instructions still relevant? Are people seeing the intended results? Did they see results to begin with?

I tried poking around here but there's a lot of lingo over my head.

If you find my lack of faith disturbing, it's okay, so do I. But I'm just "that skeptical dude" who wants to hear he isn't going to be wasting his time and efforts on deprecated teachings or instructions that never ended up panning out for others.

In the same vein: Is there anything outdated in the book? Anything you would definitely disclaim or add?

Thank you for your time.
thumbnail
Florian, modified 11 Years ago at 12/18/12 10:30 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/18/12 10:30 AM

RE: Just finished MCTB. Is it still relevant?

Hi MELT

MELT .:
I notice the book was written 4-5 years ago. My questions are:

Are the instructions still relevant?

Yes. They are based on a millennia-old texts and traditions, btw, so 4-5y don't really weigh that heavily.

Are people seeing the intended results?

Depends on the people and what they intend. What do you intend?

Did they see results to begin with?

Yes, these practices produce results. It's up to the person doing them to keep going, and it's up to them to decide what the results signify. This online community is engaged in comparing experiences with both the "keep going" and "what does it all mean" experiments, because it's more fun that way.

I tried poking around here but there's a lot of lingo over my head.

It's mostly from the book, actually. Just ask! There's also a WIKI.

If you find my lack of faith disturbing, it's okay, so do I. But I'm just "that skeptical dude" who wants to hear he isn't going to be wasting his time and efforts on deprecated teachings or instructions that never ended up panning out for others.

There are many sources of inspiration. Initially, the reports of others can inspire confidence or "faith". Get some experience yourself, and see if that can augment or replace such external sources. Ultimately, nobody else can do these practices for you. Nobody else can get you enlightened.

You can click on "Recent Posts" underneath the profile pictures to see all posts by that user - not just the recent ones. Many participants here have published detailed accounts of what's happening to them.

In the same vein: Is there anything outdated in the book? Anything you would definitely disclaim or add?

I'd put the chapter on Content and Ultimate Reality at the beginning of the book, because it contains such an important point.

Thank you for your time.

You're welcome.

Oh, and Welcome to the Dharma Overground!

Cheers,
Florian
thumbnail
Fitter Stoke, modified 11 Years ago at 12/18/12 10:51 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/18/12 10:51 AM

RE: Just finished MCTB. Is it still relevant?

MELT .:

Nothing major. As a manual for how to get to stream-entry, it's invaluable.

Opinions on what "enlightenment" is and exactly where this practice leads "in the end" (or if there is an "end") have changed and expanded considerably. What was once considered "Arhat" or "full enlightenment" is now considered by many to be yet another stage, a new beginning, really, from which one can go in a number of different, totally bitchin' directions.

Breadcrumb