Woke up 5 am by racing mind

mind less, modified 11 Years ago at 12/22/12 3:56 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/22/12 3:56 PM

Woke up 5 am by racing mind

Weird day. Last night I dreamed that I was about to loose my mind (whatever that means), I panicked and started to run through a crowd of people and down some stairs. The mind started to accelerate and I woke up from the dream, but the mind continued to race. I kept my eyes closed and saw a subtle geometrical pattern that grew radially from the middle of the visual field and towards the edges, creating an illusion of travelling at extreme speed. Every 2 or 3 seconds I could hear a sudden tone that faded quickly.

I felt equanimous during the experience, which faded after about 30 seconds. It was 5 am in the morning and I couldn't get back to sleep. I didn't even meditate yesterday (bad boy). Today I hit EQ in less than 20 mins, which is the fastest ever for me (no, self grats won't take me anywhere).

Can anyone relate to this experience?
thumbnail
Fitter Stoke, modified 11 Years ago at 12/22/12 8:58 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/22/12 8:58 PM

RE: Woke up 5 am by racing mind

Morgan Gunnarsson:
Weird day. Last night I dreamed that I was about to loose my mind (whatever that means), I panicked and started to run through a crowd of people and down some stairs. The mind started to accelerate and I woke up from the dream, but the mind continued to race. I kept my eyes closed and saw a subtle geometrical pattern that grew radially from the middle of the visual field and towards the edges, creating an illusion of travelling at extreme speed. Every 2 or 3 seconds I could hear a sudden tone that faded quickly.

I felt equanimous during the experience, which faded after about 30 seconds. It was 5 am in the morning and I couldn't get back to sleep. I didn't even meditate yesterday (bad boy). Today I hit EQ in less than 20 mins, which is the fastest ever for me (no, self grats won't take me anywhere).

Did you get path?
mind less, modified 11 Years ago at 12/23/12 3:19 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/23/12 3:19 PM

Fitter Stoke:
Morgan Gunnarsson:

Did you get path?

Do you mean "path" as in magga without phala (is that even possible?), or "path" as in stream entry? I suppose you mean the latter. No idea. Everything feels normal. Same old neuroses are still present emoticon. The only odd thing I can notice is that it took 40-45 mins to get to EQ today and there was a lot of daydreaming. What I think is "High EQ" was only present the last minute or two in the 80 min sit.

Advanced meditators are probably fed up with this question, but...how do I verify stream entry? And what's the experience of stream entry like when it's triggered from inside a dream?
Derek, modified 11 Years ago at 12/23/12 6:11 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/23/12 6:11 PM

Morgan Gunnarsson:
Advanced meditators are probably fed up with this question, but...how do I verify stream entry?

Oddly enough, I just recorded a talk about stream-entry:

http://soundcloud.com/nyanagharo/what-is-awakening

The above is the sound recording only. If you want the Jane Rainbow version, with music and video, it's here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q28WL0ARzQc
thumbnail
Bailey , modified 11 Years ago at 12/24/12 5:31 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/24/12 5:31 PM

how do I verify stream entry?

When you are in EQ you cycle from A&P to EQ over and over.

When you have attained fruition you cycle from A&P to Fruition over and over. (meaning you should experience magga and phala at the end of every cycle)

-d
mind less, modified 11 Years ago at 12/28/12 2:20 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/28/12 2:20 PM

Fitter Stoke:
Morgan Gunnarsson:

Did you get path?

No, it was probably not stream entry.
mind less, modified 11 Years ago at 12/29/12 3:56 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 12/29/12 3:56 PM

Blue .:

When you are in EQ you cycle from A&P to EQ over and over.

1. Do you cycle from AP to EQ "inside" EQ, or in another way?
2. Is the cycling happening during [one and the same] session, or in daily life, or both?
Eric Michaels, modified 11 Years ago at 1/3/13 2:46 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/3/13 2:46 PM

I'd guess that you hit A&P and are cycling. Anything that has to do with dream experiences, or meditation during the sleep cycle, is usually A&P. My A&P event occurred spontaneously in a dream.

Nothing in your experience indicates Fruition, which means no Stream Entry.
thumbnail
Bailey , modified 11 Years ago at 1/6/13 9:58 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/6/13 9:58 AM

(the numbers I chose are arbitrary, the number of stages varies slightly from source to source)

one stage: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

next stage: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

2. Is the cycling happening during [one and the same] session, or in daily life, or both?

You are constantly cycling, whether you notice it or not. It seems that meditating or putting more attention on it speeds up the process.

There is also a point you reach in meditation (I am not sure when) where you automatically start meditating if you are doing nothing else. Meaning you might be talking or moving around but when you stop your body starts meditating.

I also believe that the length of cycles may vary, but not sure by how much.

Hope this helps
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 11 Years ago at 1/6/13 3:51 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/6/13 3:51 PM

Blue:
There is also a point you reach in meditation (I am not sure when) where you automatically start meditating if you are doing nothing else. Meaning you might be talking or moving around but when you stop your body starts meditating.

I have been experiencing this for at least a year and a half now. It was a bit of a problem for a time early last year. I found it hard to get to sleep because as soon as I closed my eyes the mind would start perceiving the vibrations in the body, then they would speed up, perhaps go through the A&P or DN (depending on where I seemed to start from) then sometimes end in a little A&P like event.

This has calmed down considerably now but it still happens (minus the little climax).

Blue, I wonder if this is unique to the body scan folks? I don't recall ever hearing anyone else mention it but your comment has struck a very familiar chord with me.
mind less, modified 11 Years ago at 1/12/13 12:49 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/12/13 12:49 PM

Blue .:

(the numbers I chose are arbitrary, the number of stages varies slightly from source to source)

one stage: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

next stage: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

You are constantly cycling, whether you notice it or not. It seems that meditating or putting more attention on it speeds up the process.

I also believe that the length of cycles may vary, but not sure by how much.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the clarification.
mind less, modified 11 Years ago at 1/12/13 12:49 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/12/13 12:49 PM

Bagpuss The Gnome:
Blue:

I have been experiencing this for at least a year and a half now. It was a bit of a problem for a time early last year. I found it hard to get to sleep because as soon as I closed my eyes the mind would start perceiving the vibrations in the body, then they would speed up, perhaps go through the A&P or DN (depending on where I seemed to start from) then sometimes end in a little A&P like event.

This has calmed down considerably now but it still happens (minus the little climax).

Blue, I wonder if this is unique to the body scan folks? I don't recall ever hearing anyone else mention it but your comment has struck a very familiar chord with me.

It happens to me too and I'm doing "choiceless noticing". I only had a problem sleeping for a few nights, now I've adopted to it.
thumbnail
Bailey , modified 11 Years ago at 1/15/13 6:11 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 1/15/13 6:11 PM

This is a very good question.. and I plan to probe it among a couple others when I have more time/volition emoticon

sorry for the late reply