About the Five Aggregates

thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 11 Years ago at 3/4/13 3:36 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/4/13 3:36 PM

About the Five Aggregates

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about investigating the five aggregates?

More specifically, are there any systematic techniques that can help develop this skill? For example, should one focus on one aggregate at a time until it becomes more easily discernible in terms of the 3C's?
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 11 Years ago at 3/4/13 4:36 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/4/13 4:34 PM

RE: About the Five Aggregates

Nick W (aka Bagpuss):
Does anyone have any advice on how to go about investigating the five aggregates?

More specifically, are there any systematic techniques that can help develop this skill? For example, should one focus on one aggregate at a time until it becomes more easily discernible in terms of the 3C's?

Been reading the Vimuttimagga lately. I find this interesting.

There are two kinds of planes: plane of seeing and plane of volition. Here, the Path of Stream-entrance is the plane of seeing. The other three Paths and the four Fruits of the recluse are the plane of volition. Not having seen before, one sees now. This is the plane of seeing. One sees thus and attends to it. This is called the plane of volition.

See what? And once seen, attend to what and how?

"A virtuous monk, Kotthita my friend, should attend in an appropriate way to the five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self. Which five? The form clinging-aggregate, the feeling... perception... fabrications... consciousness clinging-aggregate. A virtuous monk should attend in an appropriate way to these five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self. For it is possible that a virtuous monk, attending in an appropriate way to these five clinging-aggregates as inconstant... not-self, would realize the fruit of stream-entry."

— SN 22.122

Knowing what to see is helpful as well. Here is the Vimuttimagga explanation. I would learn to discern each aggregate first and in the way Sariputta explains above. Then when you know what to see and how to see it, then it's the aggregates bumping off of each other left right and centre.

THE AGGREGATE OF FORM
Q. What is the aggregate-method? A. The five aggregates are, the aggregate of form,? the aggregate of feeling, the aggregate of perception, the aggregate of formation, and the aggregate of consciousness. Q. What is the aggregate of form? A.The four primaries and the material qualities derived from the primaries.

FOUR PRIMARIES DEFINED
Q. What are the four primaries? Earth-element, water-element,a fire-element,n air-element.18 What is the earth-element? That which has the nature of hardness and the nature of solidity. This is called the earth- element. What is the water-element? That which has the nature of flowing and the nature of cohesiveness. This is called the water-element. What is the firecelement? That which has the nature of heating and the nature of maturing matter. This is called the fire-element. What is the air-element? That which has the nature of moving and the nature of supporting. This is called the air-element.

The new yogin overcomes difficulties in two ways, namely, through viewing these briefly and through viewing these at length. This should be understood as was fully taught in the determining of the four elements.

DERIVED MATERIAL QUALITIES
What are the derived material qualities? The sense-organs of eye, ear, nose, tongue, body, matter as sense-object, sound as sense-object, odour as sense-object, taste as sense-object, femininity, masculinity, life-principle, body-intimation, speech-intimation, element of space, buoyancy of matter, impressibility of matter, adaptibility of matter, integration of matter, continuity of matter, decay of matter, impermanency of matter, solid food, the basis of the material element and the material quality of torpor.

AGGREGATE OF FEELING
Q. What is the aggregate of feeling? A. From the point of charac- teristic, feeling is of one kind, as being experienced by the mind only. From the point of sense-organ, it is of two kinds thus: bodily and mental. From the point of intrinsic nature, it is of three kinds: blissful feeling, painful feeling, feeling that is neither blissful nor painful. From the point of the Law, it is of four kinds: meritorious, demeritorious, retributive and objective. From the point of faculties, there are five kinds, namely, pleasure-faculty, pain- faculty, joy-faculty, grief-faculty, indifference-faculty? From the point of black and white, it is of six kinds, namely, cankerous feeling of pleasure, non-cankerous feeling of pleasure, cankerous feeling of pain, non-cankerous feeling of pain, cankerous feeling of neither pain nor pleasure, non-cankerous feeling of neither pain nor pleasure. From the point of method, it is of seven kinds thus: feeling born of eye-contact, of ear-contact, of nose-contact, of tongue-contact, of body-contact, contact of mind-element, contact of mind-consciousness. Fully one hundred and eight kinds of feeling are fulfilled. Six states of feeling are aroused from craving; six from renunciation; six from grief-craving; six from grief-renunciation; six from equanimity-craving; six from equanimity-renunciation. Six times six are thirty-six, and in the three divisions of time, these thirty-six are increased three times.This is called the aggregate of feeling.

AGGREGATE OF PERCEPTION
Q. What is the aggregate of perception? A. From the point of character- istic, perception is single, because only the mind apprehends objects. From the point of black and white, it is of two kinds, namely, perception-reversal and perception-non_reversal, From the point of demerit, it is of three kinds, namely, lustful-perception, hating-perception and harming-perception. From the point of merit, it is of three kinds, namely, renunciation-perception, non- hating-perception and non-harming-perception. From the point of not knowing the significant nature of sense-organ, it is of four kinds, namely, the perception of the ugly as beautiful, of ill as well, of impermanence as non-impermanence, of not-self as self. From the point of knowing the significant nature of sense-organ, it is of four kinds, namely, perception of the ugly, perception of ill, perception of impermanence and perception of not-self.l According to the Vinaya, it is of five kinds, thus: the perception of the.ugly as beautiful, of the ugly. as ugly, of the beautiful as beautiful and the perception of uncertainty. From the point of object, there are six kinds thus: form- perception, sound-perception, perception of odour, perception of taste, per- ception of contact, perception of ideas. By way of door, there are seven kinds thus: perception that is born of eye-contact, ear-contact, nose-contact, tongue-contact, body-contact, mind-element-contact, consciousness-element- contact. Thus should the several kinds of perception be known. This is called the aggregate of perception.

AGGREGATE OF FORMATIONS

Q. What is the aggregate of formations? A. Contact, volition, initial application of thought, sustained application of thought, joy, confidence, energy, mindfulness, concentration, wisdom, life-principle, (removal of) hindrance, non-greed, non-hate, modesty, decorum, repose, wish to do, resolve, equanimity, attention, greed, hatred, delusion, conceit, views, agitation and anxiety, uncertainty, indolence, immodesty, indecorum4 and all other mental properties, eJi;cept feeling and perception, belong to the aggregate of formations.

AGGREGATE OF CONSCIOUSNESS
Q. What is the aggregate of consciousness? A. It is eye-consciousness, ear-consciousness, nose-consciousness, tongue-consciousness, body-conscious- ness, mind-element and mind-consciousness-element. Here, eye-consciousness is the cognizing offorms dependent on the eye. This is called eye-consciousness. Ear-consciousness is the cognizing of sounds dependent on the ear. This is called ear-consciousness. Nose-consciousness is the cognizing o f odors dependent on the nose. This is nose-consciousness. Tongue-consciousness is the cognizing of flavours dependent on the tongue. This is called tongue-consciousness. Body-consciousness is the cognizing of tangibles dependent on the body. This is called body-consciousness. Mind-element depends on the five-door-adverting and the receiving of the desirable and the non-desirable. The cognizing (of form etc.) immediately after the five kinds of consciousness.is called mind-element. Mind-consciousness-element: The mind, excepting these six kinds of consciousness, is called mind-conscious- ness-element. These seven kinds of consciousness should be known through these three ways: through organ-object, through object, through states.

"The well-instructed noble disciple... discerns what ideas are fit for attention, and what ideas are unfit for attention. This being so, he does not attend to ideas unfit for attention, and attends [instead] to ideas fit for attention... And what are the ideas fit for attention that he attends to? Whatever ideas such that, when he attends to them, the unarisen effluent of sensuality does not arise, and the arisen effluent of sensuality is abandoned; the unarisen effluent of becoming... the unarisen effluent of ignorance does not arise, and the arisen effluent of ignorance is abandoned... He attends appropriately, This is stress... This is the origination of stress... This is the cessation of stress... This is the way leading to the cessation of stress. As he attends appropriately in this way, three fetters are abandoned in him: identity-view, doubt, and grasping at habits & practices. These are called the effluents that are to be abandoned by seeing."

— MN 2

My 2 cents.
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 11 Years ago at 3/4/13 6:38 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/4/13 6:38 PM

You investigate the 3 characteristics of the five aggregates and you use the 7 factors of awakening like jhana factors to keep momentum, with investigation being one of the factors, since a person can aim too much with concentration and little investigation.

Analayo:

In the case of material form, contemplating its unattractive and insubstantial nature corrects mistaken notions of substantiality and beauty. Concering feelings, awareness of their impermanent nature counteracts the tendency to search for pleasure through feelings. With regard to cognition, awareness of its deluding activity uncovers the tendency to project one's own value judgements onto external phenomenon as if these were qualities of the outside objects. With volitions, insight into their selfless nature corrects the mistaken notion that willpower is the expression of a substantial self. Regarding consciousness, understanding its deceptive performance counterbalances the sense of cohesiveness and substantiality it tends to give to what in reality is a patchwork of impermanent and conditioned phenomena

Consciousness depends on the various features of the experience supplied by name-and-form, just as name-and-form in turn depend on consciousness as their point of reference.
So if name-and-form are impermanent and consciousness relies on what is impermanent then it is impermanent too. Basically consciousness needs objects to be conscious of to work.

I know Ian And has another book recommendation on the five aggreagates that I want to read next:

The Five Aggregates

I hope that helps.
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 11 Years ago at 3/5/13 6:43 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/5/13 6:43 AM

Nick, thanks a lot for this. The SN and M quotes are great. The Vim. is really hard for me to get to grips with. I will read it again a few times but I fear it's just a bit too complex for me to grasp in a short time!

Is the contemplation of the aggregates something that can typically only be done effectively in formal meditation / 4th jhana or is this something I could/should develop while walking, eating etc (im off on retreat at the end of the week for 15days and want to try to really develop this as i am now reaching 4th jhana regularly..)

thanks again
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 11 Years ago at 3/5/13 6:51 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/5/13 6:51 AM

Richard Zen:
You investigate the 3 characteristics of the five aggregates and you use the 7 factors of awakening like jhana factors to keep momentum, with investigation being one of the factors, since a person can aim too much with concentration and little investigation.

Analayo:

In the case of material form, contemplating its unattractive and insubstantial nature corrects mistaken notions of substantiality and beauty. Concering feelings, awareness of their impermanent nature counteracts the tendency to search for pleasure through feelings. With regard to cognition, awareness of its deluding activity uncovers the tendency to project one's own value judgements onto external phenomenon as if these were qualities of the outside objects. With volitions, insight into their selfless nature corrects the mistaken notion that willpower is the expression of a substantial self. Regarding consciousness, understanding its deceptive performance counterbalances the sense of cohesiveness and substantiality it tends to give to what in reality is a patchwork of impermanent and conditioned phenomena

Consciousness depends on the various features of the experience supplied by name-and-form, just as name-and-form in turn depend on consciousness as their point of reference.
So if name-and-form are impermanent and consciousness relies on what is impermanent then it is impermanent too. Basically consciousness needs objects to be conscious of to work.

I know Ian And has another book recommendation on the five aggreagates that I want to read next:

The Five Aggregates

I hope that helps.

It helps a lot, thanks Richard.

Where is the Analyo quote from? I am just getting to the 5 aggregates section of his book (re-reading). I think it was a bit lost on me first time i read it but that was some time back.. very interesting about the 7 factors. I have not contemplated or tried to develop these purposely either.
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 11 Years ago at 3/5/13 9:45 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/5/13 9:45 AM

Howdy Nick,
i don't know if this will be helpful to you but when i investigate the aggregates i use what i call (to myself) a "standing wave" concept of reality. in this framework each one of the aggregates plays its seamless role in the creation of the current moment of reality. at any point one can break down the object of meditation by focusing on the particular (aggregate) aspect of the flow of experience. my general procedure is to get an object (breath) and move systematically through the chain of the aggregates. the usual sutta order is (with my own interpretive spin) : body, feeling tone (pleasant neutral unpleasant), perception (recognition), volition (reaction), and conciousness(knowing). i find though, that for me, placing the knowing (conciousness) first has been helpful.

i try to focus on the object while trying to absorb and stay with the particular phase of the reality wave, ie: the particular aggregate i am currently giving attention to.

may sound crazy but i like it.

cheers,

tom
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 11 Years ago at 3/5/13 12:29 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/5/13 12:29 PM

That's awesome Tom, thanks!

When you do this, how for example do you notice the impermanence of the body/form or perception as it relates to the breath? HOw does this work in practice?

Also, do you feel it "works" for you?
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 11 Years ago at 3/5/13 2:13 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/5/13 2:13 PM

Nick W (aka Bagpuss):
That's awesome Tom, thanks!

When you do this, how for example do you notice the impermanence of the body/form or perception as it relates to the breath? HOw does this work in practice?

Also, do you feel it "works" for you?

You are welcome.

Impermanence has always been the easiest of the 3Cs for me to grasp and for nama rupa, the everchanging sense input, it just seems obvious to me: simply constant change there. even thoughts, changing changing changing.

perception is a really strong aspect of reality to focus on for me as well. a sound pops into awareness: the picture of a bird accompanies it, maybe even the name. trying to catch that millisecond of pre-recognition, in hearing just the heard, or hearing "just at the ear" is the key for me on this one.

where this breaks down a little, as it should really, is at the point where you mindfully identify that place on the "standing wave" and try to stay there. you are avoiding proliferation at this point, breaking the chain of aggregation if you will.

i haven't ben doing it too long but i do like the fine tuning aspect of it. i started doing this after reading Analayo's Satipatthana Direct Path book. As to whether "it works". i think so is the best i can say.

lemmeno, cheers
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 11 Years ago at 3/5/13 8:14 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/5/13 8:02 PM

Nick W (aka Bagpuss):
It helps a lot, thanks Richard.

Where is the Analyo quote from? I am just getting to the 5 aggregates section of his book (re-reading). I think it was a bit lost on me first time i read it but that was some time back.. very interesting about the 7 factors. I have not contemplated or tried to develop these purposely either.

You're just getting to the best parts of the book. It's a book that should be read and re-read. There's also a good section on sense spheres. There are chapters just for the awakening factors and the aggregates. There is also a nice quote as a carrot for readers:

...contemplating the conditioned and impermanent nature of the aggregates is of such significance that the direct knowledge of the arising and passing away of the five aggregates is a sufficient qualification for becoming a stream-enterer. Not only that, but contemplation of the five aggregates is capable of leading to all stages of awakening, and is still even practiced by arahants.

Make sure you treat thoughts like sensations and avoid getting caught in mental proliferation of stories. Look at your willpower and see how it's limited and drains in strength. Notice how what you like and dislike will often determine the choices you make more than willpower. Notice how perception is basically conceptualizing reality by reductionism. For example, when you look at something you like is there something unpleasant you are ignoring? If you look at something you hate, is there something positive you might be ignoring? Reductionism is like over-simplfying what is complex. Your senses notice the details but the conceptual part is grasping at the most notable details and running with craving and clinging. Feelings arise and pass away and trying to make certain feelings last longer is stressful. Thoughts arise and pass away but they are also known by consciousness. How can thoughts and consciousness both be "selves"? Consciousness is the part that just knows senses or thoughts are working. Then as I quoted above, the objects of this world (which are impermanent are interdependent with the knowing faculty. Both are impermanent.
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 11 Years ago at 3/6/13 5:29 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/6/13 5:29 AM

Hi Nick,
Nick W (aka Bagpuss):

i just saw this posted (again) and saw some similarities to what I tried to describe above.

In it Kenneth employs a more expanded noting format in that he notes up to 3 links along the chain of the aggregates, for example : "pressure-neutral-investigation; coolness-pleasant-contentment; itching-unpleasant-aversion.

So, sensation, feeling tone, mind state. although i usually associate "mind state" with a different excercise, the result should be the same. In his article though, the emphasis is in keeping the extra threads of thought occupied with addional noting.

i hope it helps..
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 11 Years ago at 3/6/13 8:44 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/6/13 8:44 AM

Thanks Tom. I don't really do noting, I just flirt with it from time to time emoticon but I do noticing and that post is most relvant I think.

I just came across the Mahamalukya Sutta in Analyo's footnotes this morning. It makes for interesting reading...

Ananda, what is the path and method, to dispel the lower bonds of the sensual world? Ananda, the bhikkhu secluding the mind thoroughly, by dispelling things of demerit, removes all bodily transgressions that bring remorse. Then secluding the mind, from sensual thoughts and thoughts of demerit, with thoughts and discursive thoughts and with joy and pleasantness born of seclusion abides in the first jhana. Established in it he reflects all things that matter, all feelings, all perceptive things, all intentions, all conscious signs are impermanent, unpleasant, an illness, an abscess, an arrow, a misfortune, an ailment, foreign, destined for destruction, is void, and devoid of a self. Then he turns the mind to the deathless element: This is peaceful, this is exalted, such as the appeasement of all determinations, the giving up of all endearments, the destruction of craving, detachment, cessation and extinction (* 1). With that mind he comes to the destruction of desires. If he does not destroy desires on account of greed and interest for those same things. He arises spontaneously, with the destruction of the five lower bonds, of the sensual world, not to proceed. Ananda, this too is a method for overcoming the five lower bonds of the sensual world..

Again, Ananda, the bhikkhu overcoming thoughts and thought processes, the mind internally appeased, in one point, without thoughts and thought processes and with joy and pleasantness born of concentration, abides in the second jhana--- in the third jhana—in the fourth jhana. Attained to it, he reflects all things that matter, all feelings, all perceptive things, all intentions, all conscious signs are impermanent, unpleasant, an illness, an abscess, an arrow, a misfortune, an ailment, foreign, destined for destruction, is void, and devoid of a self. Then he turns the mind to the deathless element.:This is peaceful, this is exalted, such as the appeasement of all determinations, the giving up of all endearments, the destruction of craving, detachment, cessation and extinction. With that mind he comes to the destruction of desires. If he does not destroy desires on account of greed and interest for those same things he arises spontaneously, with the destruction of the five lower bonds of the sensual world, not to proceed. Ananda, this too is a method for overcoming the five lower bonds for the sensual world.

Again, Ananda, the bhikkhu overcoming all perceptions of matter and anger, not attending to various perceptions, with space is boundless abides in the sphere of space. Attained to it, he reflects all things that matter, all feelings, all perceptive things, all intentions, all conscious signs, are impermanent, unpleasant, an illness, an abscess, an arrow, a misfortune, an ailment, foreign, destined for destruction, void, devoid of a self.. Then he turns the mind to the deathless element: This is peaceful, this is exalted, such as the appeasement of all determinations, the giving up of all endearments, the destruction of craving, detachment, cessation and extinction..With that mind he comes to the destruction of desires.If he does not come to the destruction of desires on account of greed and interest for those same things, he arises spontaneously with the destruction of the five lower bonds not to proceed. Ananda, this too is a method for overcoming the five lower bonds for the sensual world.

Again, Ananda, the bhikkhu overcoming all peceptions of space, with consciousness is boundless, abides in the sphere of consciousness.--overcoming all the sphere of conscioussness, with there is nothing, abides in the sphere of no-thingness Attained to it he reflects all things that matter, all feelings, all perceptive things, all intentions, all conscious signs::are impermanent, unpleasant, an illness, an abscess, an arrow, a misfortune, an ailment, foreign, destined for destruction, void, devoid of a self. Then he turns the mind to the deathless element: This is peaceful, this is exalted, such as the appeasement of all determinations, the giving up of all endearments, the destruction of craving, detachment, cessation and extinction. With that mind he comes to the destruction of desires. If he does not destroy desires on account of greed and interest for those same things, he arises spontaneously with the destruction of the five lower bonds not to proceed. Ananda, this too is a method for the dispelling of the five lower bonds for the sensual world.
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 11 Years ago at 3/6/13 3:22 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/6/13 2:41 PM

Nick W (aka Bagpuss):
Thanks Tom. I don't really do noting, I just flirt with it from time to time emoticon but I do noticing and that post is most relvant I think.

I just came across the Mahamalukya Sutta in Analyo's footnotes this morning. It makes for interesting reading...

Ananda, what is the path and method, to dispel the lower bonds of the sensual world? Ananda, the bhikkhu secluding the mind thoroughly, by dispelling things of demerit, removes all bodily transgressions that bring remorse. Then secluding the mind, from sensual thoughts and thoughts of demerit, with thoughts and discursive thoughts and with joy and pleasantness born of seclusion abides in the first jhana. Established in it he reflects all things that matter, all feelings, all perceptive things, all intentions, all conscious signs are impermanent, unpleasant, an illness, an abscess, an arrow, a misfortune, an ailment, foreign, destined for destruction, is void, and devoid of a self. Then he turns the mind to the deathless element: This is peaceful, this is exalted, such as the appeasement of all determinations, the giving up of all endearments, the destruction of craving, detachment, cessation and extinction (* 1). With that mind he comes to the destruction of desires. If he does not destroy desires on account of greed and interest for those same things. He arises spontaneously, with the destruction of the five lower bonds, of the sensual world, not to proceed. Ananda, this too is a method for overcoming the five lower bonds of the sensual world..

Again, Ananda, the bhikkhu overcoming thoughts and thought processes, the mind internally appeased, in one point, without thoughts and thought processes and with joy and pleasantness born of concentration, abides in the second jhana--- in the third jhana—in the fourth jhana. Attained to it, he reflects all things that matter, all feelings, all perceptive things, all intentions, all conscious signs are impermanent, unpleasant, an illness, an abscess, an arrow, a misfortune, an ailment, foreign, destined for destruction, is void, and devoid of a self. Then he turns the mind to the deathless element.:This is peaceful, this is exalted, such as the appeasement of all determinations, the giving up of all endearments, the destruction of craving, detachment, cessation and extinction. With that mind he comes to the destruction of desires. If he does not destroy desires on account of greed and interest for those same things he arises spontaneously, with the destruction of the five lower bonds of the sensual world, not to proceed. Ananda, this too is a method for overcoming the five lower bonds for the sensual world.

Again, Ananda, the bhikkhu overcoming all perceptions of matter and anger, not attending to various perceptions, with space is boundless abides in the sphere of space. Attained to it, he reflects all things that matter, all feelings, all perceptive things, all intentions, all conscious signs, are impermanent, unpleasant, an illness, an abscess, an arrow, a misfortune, an ailment, foreign, destined for destruction, void, devoid of a self.. Then he turns the mind to the deathless element: This is peaceful, this is exalted, such as the appeasement of all determinations, the giving up of all endearments, the destruction of craving, detachment, cessation and extinction..With that mind he comes to the destruction of desires.If he does not come to the destruction of desires on account of greed and interest for those same things, he arises spontaneously with the destruction of the five lower bonds not to proceed. Ananda, this too is a method for overcoming the five lower bonds for the sensual world.

Again, Ananda, the bhikkhu overcoming all peceptions of space, with consciousness is boundless, abides in the sphere of consciousness.--overcoming all the sphere of conscioussness, with there is nothing, abides in the sphere of no-thingness Attained to it he reflects all things that matter, all feelings, all perceptive things, all intentions, all conscious signs::are impermanent, unpleasant, an illness, an abscess, an arrow, a misfortune, an ailment, foreign, destined for destruction, void, devoid of a self. Then he turns the mind to the deathless element: This is peaceful, this is exalted, such as the appeasement of all determinations, the giving up of all endearments, the destruction of craving, detachment, cessation and extinction. With that mind he comes to the destruction of desires. If he does not destroy desires on account of greed and interest for those same things, he arises spontaneously with the destruction of the five lower bonds not to proceed. Ananda, this too is a method for the dispelling of the five lower bonds for the sensual world.

Intersting stuff. Synchroncity!

I came across this post on the theravadin blog talking about instructions for anaruddha. "Then he turns his mind to the deathless element". Even after having all that wonderful access to jhana, he was not "turning the mind to the deathless"

The Discourse on Anuruddha
(Anuruddha’s awakening) (A 3.128/1:281 f)

Anuruddha fails to progress

1 Then the venerable Anuruddha approached the venerable Sariputta and exchanged greetings with him. When this courteous and friendly exchange [282] was concluded, the venerable Anuruddha sat down at one side. Sitting thus as one side, the venerable Anuruddha said this to the venerable Sariputta:

“Here, avuso Sariputta, I see the thousandfold world with the divine eye, purified and superhuman. Further, I have put forth effort, and established myself in unfailing unconfused mindfulness, my body is unexcited, bright with faith, the mind is concentrated in oneness.7 But my mind is not released, through non-clinging, from the influxes.”

Sāriputta explains

2 “Now, avuso Anuruddha, as regards this remark: ‘I see the thousandfold world with the divine eye, purified and superhuman’— this is due to conceit (mana). And, avuso Anuruddha, as regards this remark: ‘Moreover, I have put forth effort, established myself in unfailing mindfulness, unconfused, my body is unexcited, bright with faith, the mind concentrated in oneness’— this is due to restlessness (uddhacca).

And, avuso Anuruddha, as regards this remark: ‘But my mind is not released, through not clinging, from the influxes’— this is due to worry (kukkucca). Avuso Anuruddha, it will be good indeed if the venerable Anuruddha abandon these three states, not attending to them, but direct the mind to the deathless element.” Taken from here.

I think this very simple instruction, "to turn the mind to the deathless element", deserves some attention. As that is what seeing the aggregates as impermanent, unpleasant, an illness, an abscess, an arrow, a misfortune, an ailment, foreign, destined for destruction, void, devoid of a self, is actually for. To turn the mind away from them by seeing them as not worthy of such attention, that conditioned by grasping and clinging, and to then simply turn the mind towards the deathless element. And it seems quite clear attending to the aggregates like so within the jhanas seems the ideal place to "turn the mind to the deathless element".

A discussion on the deathless element (nibbana) and what it actually means is lacking around here.

I think a number of us in the pragmatic dharma scene, including myself, could substitute our names for anurudha's in that sutta. Maybe not the siddhi but at least the unfailing mindfulness, unconfused, body not excited, bright with faith, concentrated mind etc...yet not completley free from conceit, restlessness and worry, at least not how i currently see it.

My current 2 cents

Nick
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 11 Years ago at 3/6/13 3:37 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/6/13 3:37 PM

http://archive.thebuddhadharma.com/issues/2003/winter/ajahnamaro.html

This gesture of attending to the deathless is thus a core spiritual practice but not a complicated one. We simply withdraw our attention from the objects of the mind and incline the attention towards the deathless, the unborn. This is not a massive reconstruction program. It's not like we have to do a whole lot. It's very simple and natural. We relax and notice that which has been here all along, like noticing the space in a room. We don't notice space, because it doesn't grab our attention; it isn't exciting. Similarly, nibbana has no feature, no color, no taste and no form, so we don't realize it's right here. The perceptual systems and the naming activity of the mind work on forms; that's what they go to first. Therefore we tend to miss what's always here. Actually, because it has no living quality to it, space is the worst as well as the best example, but sometimes it is reasonable to use it.
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modified 11 Years ago at 3/6/13 4:06 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/6/13 4:04 PM

Hah! I think there must be a reference to the Anuruddha Sutta in the Analayo book as I recognise it.

The thing about the Deathless (as my limited understand goes..) is that you cannot turn toward it. There's nothing to turn toward. You can only turn away from the Aggregates (for example) and advert attention to it that way. Shinzen Young has "just note gone", where one notes vanishings (of anything in experience) which adverts attention in this way also. Thanissaro Bhikkhu talks about getting the mind so quiet in 4th jhana that the only place more quiet is Nibbana. Stream entry occurs when the mind finds the 4th jhana unsatisfactory (according to Thanissaro). This seems to be the same thing again.

Developing dispassion for the aggregates presumably inclines the mind toward the only other thing that could satisfy it...

Does that sound about right?

This gesture of attending to the deathless is thus a core spiritual practice but not a complicated one. We simply withdraw our attention from the objects of the mind and incline the attention towards the deathless, the unborn. This is not a massive reconstruction program. It's not like we have to do a whole lot. It's very simple and natural. We relax and notice that which has been here all along, like noticing the space in a room. We don't notice space, because it doesn't grab our attention; it isn't exciting. Similarly, nibbana has no feature, no color, no taste and no form, so we don't realize it's right here. The perceptual systems and the naming activity of the mind work on forms; that's what they go to first. Therefore we tend to miss what's always here. Actually, because it has no living quality to it, space is the worst as well as the best example, but sometimes it is reasonable to use it.

Im not sure it's so simple. Seems a bit more complex if you don't know what nibbana is, only what it isn't?
Adam , modified 11 Years ago at 3/6/13 6:36 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/6/13 6:36 PM

Deathless = non conceptual sensate experience?
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 11 Years ago at 3/7/13 3:07 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/7/13 3:04 AM

Nick W (aka Bagpuss):
Hah! I think there must be a reference to the Anuruddha Sutta in the Analayo book as I recognise it.

The thing about the Deathless (as my limited understand goes..) is that you cannot turn toward it. There's nothing to turn toward. You can only turn away from the Aggregates (for example) and advert attention to it that way. Shinzen Young has "just note gone", where one notes vanishings (of anything in experience) which adverts attention in this way also. Thanissaro Bhikkhu talks about getting the mind so quiet in 4th jhana that the only place more quiet is Nibbana. Stream entry occurs when the mind finds the 4th jhana unsatisfactory (according to Thanissaro). This seems to be the same thing again.

Developing dispassion for the aggregates presumably inclines the mind toward the only other thing that could satisfy it...

Does that sound about right?

Put it into action and see. I will refrain from talking about my own experience as im not sure how best to describe it. Though i will say it is very worthwhile. Experiment!

Im not sure it's so simple. Seems a bit more complex if you don't know what nibbana is, only what it isn't?

Attend to the aggregates as quoted above and see if it is as complex as one thinks it is.

Nick
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 11 Years ago at 3/7/13 4:05 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/7/13 4:05 AM

Adam . .:

nope. no sensate experience. ."gone gone, gone beyond, gone altogether beyond, O what an awakening, all hail!"
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 11 Years ago at 3/7/13 5:10 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/7/13 5:10 AM

An interesting talk by christopher titmuss on inclining the mind towards the deathless.

http://tovana.org.il/he/stephen-fulder/entry/73-incline-the-mind-towards-the-deathless-christopher-titmuss
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 11 Years ago at 3/7/13 5:26 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/7/13 5:24 AM

tom moylan:
Adam . .:

nope. no sensate experience. ."gone gone, gone beyond, gone altogether beyond, O what an awakening, all hail!"

Not according to ajhan am aro. And maybe not according to this sutta if we consider 'release' to be the equivalent of 'the deathless'.

The concept of cessation is very familiar in the Theravada tradition. Even though it's supposed to be synonymous with nibbana, it's sometimes put forth as some event that we're all seeking, where all experience will vanish and then we'll be fine: "A great god will come from the sky, take away everything and make everybody feel high." I don't want to get obsessed about words, but we suffer a lot or get confused because of misunderstandings like this. When we talk about stopping consciousness, do you think that means "Let's all get unconscious?” It can't be that, can it? The Buddha was not extolling the virtues of unconsciousness. Otherwise thorazine or barbiturates would be the way: "Give me the anesthetic and we're on our way to nibbana." But obviously that's not it. Understanding what is meant by stopping or cessation is thus pretty crucial here.

I've known people, particularly those who have practiced in the Theravada tradition, who have been taught that the idea of meditation is to get to a place of cessation. We might get to a place where we don't feel or see anything; there is awareness but everything is gone. An absence of sight, sound, smell, taste, touch, the body—it all vanishes. And then these students are told, "This is the greatest thing. That's what there is to look forward to." The teacher encourages them to put tremendous hours and diligence into their meditation. When one of these students told her teacher that she had arrived at that kind of state, he got really excited. He then asked her, "So what did it feel like?" and she said, "It was like drinking a glass of cold water but without the water and without the glass." On another occasion she said, "It was like being shut inside a refrigerator."

This is not the only way of understanding cessation. The root of the word nirodha is rudh, which means "to not arise, to end, check or hold"—like holding a horse in check with the reins. So nirodha also has a meaning of holding everything, embracing its scope. "Stopping of consciousness" can thus imply that somehow everything is held in check rather than that it simply vanishes. It's a redrawing of the internal map.

A story from the time of the Buddha might help to expand our understanding of what this means. One night while the Buddha was meditating, a brilliant and beautiful devata named Rohitassa appeared in front of him. He told the Buddha, "When I was a human being, I was a spiritual seeker of great psychic power, a sky walker. Even though I journeyed with great determination and resolution for one hundred years to reach the end of the world, I could not come to the end of the world. I died on the journey before I had found it. So can you tell me, is it possible to journey to the end of the world?"

And the Buddha replied, "It is not possible to reach the end of the world by walking, but I also tell you that unless you reach the end of the world, you will not reach the end of suffering." Rohitassa was a bit puzzled and said, "Please explain this to me, Venerable Sir." The Buddha replied, "In this very fathom-long body is the world, the origin of the world, the cessation of the world, and the way leading to the cessation of the world" (Anguttara Nikaya 4.45, Samyutta Nikaya 2.26).

In that instance the Buddha used the same exact formulation as in the Four Noble Truths. The world, or loka, means the world of our experience. That's how the Buddha almost always uses the term "the world." He's referring to the world as we experience it. This includes only sight, sound, smell, taste, touch, thought, emotion and feeling. That's it. That's what "the world" is—my world, your world. It's not the abstracted, geographical planet, universe-type world. It's the direct experience of the planet, the people and the cosmos. Here is the origin of the world, the cessation of the world and the way leading to the cessation of the world.

He said that as long as we create "me and my experience"—"me in here" and "the world out there"—we're stuck in the world of subject and object. Then there is dukkha. And the way leading to the cessation of that duality is the way leading to the cessation of suffering. Geographically, it is impossible to journey to the end of the world. Only when we come to the cessation of the world, which literally means the cessation of its otherness or thingness, will we reach the end of dukkha, unsatisfactoriness. When we stop creating sense objects as absolute realities and stop seeing thoughts and feelings as solid things, there is cessation.

To see that the world is within our minds is one way of working with these principles. The whole universe is embraced when we realize that it's happening within our minds. And in that moment when we recognize that it all happens here, it ceases. Its thingness ceases. Its otherness ceases. Its substantiality ceases.

This is just one way of talking and thinking about it. But I find this brings us much closer to the truth, because in that respect, it's held in check. It's known. But there's also the quality of its emptiness. Its insubstantiality is known. We're not imputing solidity to it, a reality that it doesn't possess. We're just looking directly at the world, knowing it fully and completely.

So, what happens when the world ceases? I remember one time Ajahn Sumedho was giving a talk about this same subject. He said, "Now I'm going to make the world completely disappear. I'm going to make the world come to an end." He just sat there and said, "Okay, are you ready? The world just ended. Do you want me to bring it back into being again? Okay, welcome back."

Nothing was apparent from the outside. It all happens internally. When we stop creating the world, we stop creating each other. We stop imputing the sense of solidity that creates a sense of separation. Yet we do not shut off the senses in any way. Actually, we shed the veneer, the films of confusion, of opinion, of judgment, of our conditioning, so that we can see the way things really are. At that moment, dukkha ceases. There is knowing. There is liberation and freedom. There is no dukkha.]
An Eternal Now, modified 11 Years ago at 3/7/13 6:40 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/7/13 6:24 AM

Nikolai .:
tom moylan:
Adam . .:

Not according to ajhan am aro. And maybe not according to this sutta if we consider 'release' to be the equivalent of 'the deathless'.

Indeed, I concur with Ajahn Amaro. Venerable Nanananda's Nibbana Sermons are also great and explains Nirvana in pretty much the same way Ajahn Amaro did in that excerpt.

Also for readers out there, I find Geoff* (online buddhist forum poster jnana/nana, not Thanissaro)'s posts on Nirvana to be highly informative in ridding the misconceptions of what Nirvana is based on Buddha's teachings.

http://sgforums.com/forums/1728/topics/447451

Excerpt:

"Firstly, nibbāna isn't a "state." Secondly, nibbāna is the cessation of passion, aggression, and delusion. For a learner it is the cessation of the fetters extinguished on each path. The waking states where "suddenly all sensations and six senses stop functioning" are (1) mundane perceptionless samādhis, and (2) cessation of apperception and feeling. Neither of these are supramundane and neither of these are synonymous with experiencing nibbāna."

*Geoff: a scholar-practitioner with a Theravadin and Mahamudra practice background and author of MeasurelessMind, great stuff: http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.sg/2012/09/great-resource-of-buddhas-teachings.html
thumbnail
Ian And, modified 11 Years ago at 3/7/13 1:07 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/7/13 1:07 PM

An Eternal Now:

http://sgforums.com/forums/1728/topics/447451

Excerpt:

"Firstly, nibbāna isn't a "state." Secondly, nibbāna is the cessation of passion, aggression, and delusion. For a learner it is the cessation of the fetters extinguished on each path. The waking states where "suddenly all sensations and six senses stop functioning" are (1) mundane perceptionless samādhis, and (2) cessation of apperception and feeling. Neither of these are supramundane and neither of these are synonymous with experiencing nibbāna."

And further on he states:
"This type of blackout cessation is experienced by all sorts of yogis including those practicing non-Buddhist systems. Thus, it has nothing to do with the correct engagement of vipassanā. The cessation of unsatisfactoriness (dukkhanirodha) is the cessation of craving (taṇhā), not the cessation of phenomena."

Along with others who have chimed in on this issue I would unhesitatingly agree with this characterization of nibbāna.

Unlike Daniel, when I experienced sannavedayita-nirodha (the cessation of perception and feeling) it wasn't something that I had any craving for experiencing. (Daniel has mentioned in times past getting off work and going home so that he could meditate and enter this state; don't know what his thoughts are now on the subject, usually time and maturity bring greater clarity of thought about such things.)

And yes, it is, as Geoff has said "a mundane perceptionless samadhi." I was glad that I had an opportunity to experience this state in order to be able to talk about it rather than to speculate. It taught me that it was indeed possible to shut the mind/body experience down entirely; and at the time, I thought that that was a valuable insight. However, it was not something I had any desire to enter again and again. I much prefer the appana samadhi of the fourth dhyana as it allows insight to occur, which I think is one of the points being inferred in Geoff's message.

An Eternal Now:
Indeed, I concur with Ajahn Amaro. Venerable Nanananda's Nibbana Sermons are also great and explains Nirvana in pretty much the same way Ajahn Amaro did in that excerpt.

Also for readers out there, I find Geoff* (online buddhist forum poster jnana/nana, not Thanissaro)'s posts on Nirvana to be highly informative in ridding the misconceptions of what Nirvana is based on Buddha's teachings.

*Geoff: a scholar-practitioner with a Theravadin and Mahamudra practice background and author of MeasurelessMind, great stuff: http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.sg/2012/09/great-resource-of-buddhas-teachings.html

Ah, the tale of the two Geoffs. Geoff DeGraff and Geoff Shatz. Perhaps Tan Geoff and Geoff S. might suffice to differentiate their thought. I've corresponded with Geoff S. from time to time. Have known him since 2005/2006 when the old E-Sangha forum was still around.
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 11 Years ago at 3/9/13 7:17 AM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/9/13 7:17 AM

The Island
An Anthology of the Buddha’s Teachings on Nibbana
Edited and with Commentary by Ajahn Pasanno & Ajahn Amaro

Worth a read if interested in why to see and attend to the aggregates as expressed in posts above.

Nick
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 11 Years ago at 3/10/13 12:14 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/10/13 12:14 PM

I just finished The Five Aggregates by Boisvert and it's very clear. He basically posits that sanna (perception/recognition) happens after feeling tone and then craving asserts itself. He also likes to take the aggregates and put them in a circle and let volition condition consciousness and he likes to compare the aggregates to dependent origination (dependent co-arising whatever :grinemoticon. I like the idea of past volitions being something that is in memory and can be brought out again to cause craving.
Remembering good and bad things brings up the craving or aversion just like something in the present moment can. He also points out that to break the problem of recognition you would need to incline the mind towards wisdom (panna) "recognition" of the 3 characteristics. Of course the disenchantment follows next.

This is another good book. Thanks Ian And.
thumbnail
PP, modified 11 Years ago at 3/10/13 12:31 PM
Created 11 Years ago at 3/10/13 12:31 PM

Richard Zen:
I just finished The Five Aggregates by Boisvert and it's very clear. He basically posits that sanna (perception/recognition) happens after feeling tone and then craving asserts itself. He also likes to take the aggregates and put them in a circle and let volition condition consciousness and he likes to compare the aggregates to dependent origination (dependent co-arising whatever :grinemoticon. I like the idea of past volitions being something that is in memory and can be brought out again to cause craving.
Remembering good and bad things brings up the craving or aversion just like something in the present moment can. He also points out that to break the problem of recognition you would need to incline the mind towards wisdom (panna) "recognition" of the 3 characteristics. Of course the disenchantment follows next.

This is another good book. Thanks Ian And.

Thanks Ian and Richard for the book tip. I found this very helpful and that resonates much with my recent practice.