How to keep motivation and accountability high to get in lots of practice.

thumbnail
Cedric , modified 10 Years ago at 11/20/13 12:56 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/20/13 12:56 PM

How to keep motivation and accountability high to get in lots of practice.

I practice a lot, about +2hrs a day plus about two weekend retreats a month.
I would like to do a minimum of 30 hrs a week of meditation.
I am in Re-Obs/Low EQ, so I want to finnish up on the first path asap.
Anyway, these are the following ways I stay accountable:
1. I keep a daily log on a piece of paper with number of hours I sit and the goal for the day.
2. I work on Skype with a teacher and report the amount of practice I do daily.

Anyway, how else can I keep myself accountable. Doing 30 hrs a week is tough with a full time job and GF.

Let me know your ideas.
Thanks
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 10 Years ago at 11/20/13 7:33 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/20/13 7:33 PM

RE: How to keep motivation and accountability high to get in lots of practi

At some point the integration of here and now with the concept of progress has to fully occur, and that can take time, as our dualistic though patterns create a sense of time and a sense of progress and all of that, and trying to figure out how to see those as just thoughts happening now can take some practice and some insight.

Daily mindfulness of activities, which gets mentioned a lot in these contexts, really IS a key thing to work on, as obvious as it sounds, and if you can't get in all the cushion time you want, realize that you are probably awake and doing things for way more than 30 hours/week, hopefully, and that all of that really can be good practice, including all the little periods that don't take high cognitive function (which doesn't initially lend itself as well to sensate mindfulness: that comes later for most), such as brushing your teeth and opening the door, etc.

As to motivation: you have to find it within yourself, obviously, and you should consider how the sense of social accountability figures into it, as in the end, you and Reality have to merge, and do this independent of any external anything, of any other person, of anyone else's considerations, of any social construct, and so the question more is, how do you allow reality to settle into itself, into the tension with itself, and to synchronize properly with all of the questions you ask, realizing that those questions are the thing itself.
thumbnail
Cedric , modified 10 Years ago at 11/23/13 6:40 PM
Created 10 Years ago at 11/23/13 6:40 PM

RE: How to keep motivation and accountability high to get in lots of practi

Thank you for the response.
Yeah, I am being more mindful in the day to day life. It's clear that that is where practice has to be born out. The dualistic devisions are blurring.

Breadcrumb