(Lucid) Dreaming (and meditation)

Fusions op, modified 9 Years ago at 5/11/14 3:05 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 5/11/14 3:05 PM

(Lucid) Dreaming (and meditation)

I am not really familiar with tibetan dream yoga but I know it exists.
I tried meditation a few times during dream time, but nothing special happened (I tried it because someone else had a dmt like experience).

The things I do during LDs:
- Fly
- Fuck
- (Trying to) Talk (with guides)
- Looking for drugs to experiment with
- Go with the story / explore

Discuss lucid dreaming in general, and do you meditate while dreaming sometimes?
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 9 Years ago at 5/11/14 3:47 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 5/11/14 3:47 PM

RE: (Lucid) Dreaming (and meditation)

I would add play with the powers and also engage in magical combat: both common in my lucid dreams.
thumbnail
Mind over easy, modified 9 Years ago at 5/12/14 1:37 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 5/12/14 1:37 AM

Interesting data point: back when I was practicing jhana before bed every night, I had a much higher frequency of lucid dreams. I also tended to wake up feeling very refreshed and acute. 

Interesting recurring experience: I'll have these dreams where the whole dream will just vanish, and then I'll be lucid/semi-lucid, and there will litereally be no perceivable vision/hearing/sense of any kind of body, but there will be this feeling of consciousness with no point of reference, kind of hard to describe. But when it happens, there is suddenly a gigantic burst of bliss/joy/ecstasy. One time, this presented itself like this:
Anyways, sometime later in the night while I was asleep, I had this really fascinating dream where I was in some kind of basement with people, and there were all these doors. I saw these two girls that were trying to get my attention, and I tried to go to them, but the dream shifted and they were gone. Somewhere along the way, I realized that all the doors were leading to the places I was expecting/intending, so I went up to a door and put a ton of intention on seeing the girls who were trying to get my attention. I opened it, and the dream suddenly shifted and everything was black, there wasn't any body or dream-scape, and I just felt like a mind floating. Everything felt very intense when this happened, and tons of energy and joy came surging over me. I wasn't having a lucid dream, but it definitely had the distinct conscious feeling in a lucid dream. I don't really remember much from the dream except that scene. I've been noticing similar dreams, where there will be a tense, climactic, anxious feeling, then a sudden shift with a lot of energy and that conscious feeling.

I don't remember having these dreams before a certain point in my meditation practice, but now it happens quite often, even when I'm not practicing. I have no idea what, if anything, this corresponds to. Maybe A&P. It is quite great though. It is really the only instance I have ever seen of there being little to no perception of dream senses but awareness being high.
thumbnail
Not Tao, modified 9 Years ago at 5/12/14 11:44 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 5/12/14 11:44 AM

I opened it, and the dream suddenly shifted and everything was black,
there wasn't any body or dream-scape, and I just felt like a mind
floating.

That totally sounds like a dream I had a while back!  I'd been practicing jhana before bed, like you did, but I had only ever gotten to the fourth at that time.  The dream I had, I flew backwards out into space and then all the stars disappeared and I was floating in an infinite void.  It was pretty terrifying, haha.  The next day I hit both the fifth and sixth jhanas for the first time in my morning sit.  It really surprised me because it wasn't anything like I was expecting.  I think that dream must have been my introduction to the fifth jhana.

If you're ever lucid enough, you should try to go on to infinite consciousness!  Just don't send any lightning bolts my way. emoticon

Daniel, I read somewhere that you do the jhanas every night as you're falling asleep, right?  This must have happened to you too, no?
thumbnail
Simon T, modified 9 Years ago at 5/13/14 1:01 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 5/13/14 1:01 AM

How exactly do you look for drugs in dreams? Aren't dreams already alternate and malleable states of mind? Do you encounter pushers in your dreams?
Thor Jackson, modified 9 Years ago at 5/13/14 1:12 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 5/13/14 1:12 AM

Simon T.:
How exactly do you look for drugs in dreams? Aren't dreams already alternate and malleable states of mind? Do you encounter pushers in your dreams?

lol.
Fusions op, modified 9 Years ago at 5/18/14 3:50 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 5/18/14 3:50 PM

Thougts/beliefs manifest more quickly. So think about it, or belief you have them.
Fusions op, modified 9 Years ago at 5/24/14 12:21 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 5/24/14 12:21 PM

I felt pretty good/relaxed last time I did it.

Breadcrumb