Integration of the Three Trainings in real time

thumbnail
Jason Snyder, modified 9 Years ago at 7/31/14 3:30 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 7/31/14 3:16 PM

Integration of the Three Trainings in real time

I wanted to peoples take on something. In MCTB Daniel seems to come down pretty harshly on dealing too much with "content" during meditation. I had kind of bought into that, but I had an experience tonight that makes me question. I was doing my standard Vipassana stuff, and then I started thinking about the fact that perception really is relative, and that if I was, say, tripping on hallucigens, my perception of reality would be no less valid, and perhaps more so...if my normal waking perception is just relative to my make-up (due to social conditioning and millions of years of evolution to optimize a certain niche in nature), and is not the objective standard that I usually (implicitly) assume it to be, the "I" as usually concieved doesn't exist...this intellectual insight into "not-self" led to a direct experiental insight of "not-self" lasting for a few seconds. These kind of things have happened before, sometimes through noting and sometimes through direct inquiry, but what was interesting here is that I had an emotional opening of sorts. I became incredibly joyfull and a wave of love and thankfullness arose. I thought about just breaking it all down to sensations and observing them via the Three Characteristics, but instead I decided to engage it at a content level for a while, allowing the opening to flow around through my psych. In the meantime I saw how certain emotional blockages were being and still could be released in the future...eventually I went back to the standard noting/noticing.

So in summary, there seems to be a lot of interaction and potential of integration among the trainings, and I am not sure if they should be kept as separate as I have interpreted them to be endorsed in MCTB. What are other peoples experience of interacting and integrating  them in real time? Am I misinterpreting the advice?
thumbnail
Noting Monkey, modified 9 Years ago at 7/31/14 9:20 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 7/31/14 9:20 PM

RE: Integration of the Three Trainings in real time

...this intellectual insight into "not-self" led to a direct experiental insight of "not-self" lasting for a few seconds....
....I thought about just breaking it all down to sensations and observing them via the Three Characteristics, but instead I decided to engage it at a content level for a while, allowing the opening to flow around through my psych...
....In the meantime I saw how certain emotional blockages were being and still could be released in the future...eventually I went back to the standard noting/noticing.

I find also benefical sometimes to let this direkt inquiry to happen. It is like the 2nd gear by Kenneth Folk. 
I wouldn't call it "lost in the content" as you clear about the no-self charateristcs of the happenings. 
Like watching movie with a "3C's googgles". The "wisdom eye" which sees Anatta is kind of in the background, so in this way attachmnet can not arise as you see the true nature of the stuff.
This is more like Investigaton of the dahrma which is the 2nd factor of enlightement.
Of course this can be slippery and change to "lost in the content" but as you write at the and you went back to noting. 

This is also from the MCTB may can be mentioned here:
"If you can see the true nature of the sensations
that make up a fun and healthy life, there is no need for any other type
of renunciation!"

NM

Breadcrumb